4K Broadcasting

When are we starting an 8K topic?

1 Like

That’s just ASKING for more dead pixels! : laughing:

Seriously, there is a law of diminishing returns here.

The upgrade from HD to 4K is less noticeable on my 55 inch 4K TV than going from SD to HD was on my old 40 inch Full HD TV.

With 8K, you’d probably need an 85 inch screen to notice any difference.

2 Likes

that and the human eyes cannot process 4K in its entirety really, let alone 8K

3 Likes

Well that’s 18 minutes I’ll never get back! As an older person I can definitely see the difference between HD and 4K. Not as much as between SD and HD but there is a difference. So far I’ve only experienced 4K streaming but I am getting the 4K Foxtel box on Monday. Will post again when the 4K channel starts in October.

I would also dispute the info on this video re the sales of 4K tv’s. I am sure most tv’s sold in Australia are now 4K. Americans are always behind in technology, (and most other things, after all they voted in Trump as president). :joy: IMO they stuffed up digital radio compared to the UK, Australia etc. and ESPN is still in 720 not 1080, on Foxtel!

3 Likes
1 Like

Foxtel 444 launches on 3 October

2 Likes

Bathurst 1000 to be the first televised Australian sporting event to broadcast in 4K. Story: https://www.westernadvocate.com.au/story/5656037/bathurst-1000-to-help-launch-new-era-in-australian-television/?cs=115

1 Like

First 4K event in Australia to actually be shown in 4K in Australia perhaps - the 2015 Cricket World Cup, that despite being filmed in 4K and shown in India like that, wasn’t in 4K here because Foxtel weren’t ready…

2 Likes

New Chinese channel CCTV 4K started transmission today, on the 69th anniversary of the founding of People’s Republic of China.

When will Australia get its own 4K FTA channel?

1 Like

Probably never unless they can get more bandwidth.

If it does happen it will probably be via internet.

On a permanent basis? Probably not at least unless/until we switchover to DVB-T2, HEVC or whatever technology Australia decides should be the way to go for 2nd generation digital terrestrial broadcasting.

I know this one doesn’t really count, but there was that 4K channel as part of the trial DVB-T2 broadcasts in Sydney a few months back which contained a loop of content from Nine, the ABC, SBS and NITV.

If anything, I can see there being a further digital restack at some point in the future which will result in TV broadcasters being forced to share two or three multiplexes (similar to DAB+ digital radio) while another block of spectrum gets sold off to the telecommunication companies.

Agreed.

1 Like

Once we’ve gone through launching main channel simulcasts, then turned them into multichannels, then changed them back to main channel simulcasts under the false guise of a law change permitting such to be done, about 15+ years I reckon… :joy:

2 Likes

Would Be really good if channel seven did 4k by the time the 2020 olympics come around. But I doubt that will happen

2 Likes

They could do a trial though?

3 Likes

That would truly be fantastic. I remember NHK in Japan were responsible for recording the entire 2012 London Olympics in 8k!

1 Like

CBS will use 4K and 8K cameras for its coverage of next month’s NFL Super Bowl LIII in Atlanta. Unfortunately, Australia will be stuck with HD broadcast on Seven.

1 Like

Though you have to wonder about the point of 8K given there are very few TVs around that will display 8K, and even fewer 8K broadcasters.

2 Likes

I recall reading a little while ago that 4k allows you to zoom in on an image at HD res, good for replays and a few networks were looking at options around reducing camera numbers by having virtual camera control

5 Likes

Will US viewers even get to see the Superbowl in 4K/8K?

Never know, could be broadcast on Foxtel 4K channel.

4 Likes