2CH Sydney

Rossco was this when ARN bought mix 106.5.

@Rossco @Laoma I think youā€™ll find it was Wesgo who purchased 2SM in July 1992, sacked everyone immediately, and it went into 24 hour automation.

3 Likes

Late morning, I heard Bob Rogers state there is a lot of uncertainty about the future when reading the listeners emails out.

Still no decision.

Bobā€™s part of the problem. Rumour has it that the buyer of 2CH has to keep Bob on air but anyone who has been interested in buying the station believes Bobā€™s past his use by date.

2 Likes

Bob would fit in with the Forever Classic positioner, wouldnā€™t he?

trouble with Bob is that he picks most of his own music. Could be Doris Day or Daft Punk!

2ue could give him a slot. Strange, they could this condition?

Bob should retire. Heā€™s sounds way past it.

Realistically, I couldnā€™t see Bob Rogers continuing to present radio on any other station (well, except maybe 2SM of course) if 2CH were to get rid of him.

I agree with the general analysis that Bob Rogers is well and truly past his prime. Some of the music played on Rogersā€™ programs (yes I believe he currently has two, the weekday morning shift and the sleep inducing ā€œReminiscingā€ on Saturday nights) is even older than him, Iā€™m sure!

Bob Rogers at the same station as John Laws? That would be hilarious. Zimmer frames at 50 paces.

2 Likes

Can imagine the positioning now.

Golden Oldies 2SMā€¦ and thatā€™s just the presenters!

2 Likes

Singo knew heā€™d have to sell 2CH if his dream to cash out on MML ever happened. So he signed old Bob to a 9 or 10 year contract that he knew would make it difficult to sell.

Singo should be forced to sell 2GB or 2UE if he canā€™t sell 2CH.

Sorry, but thatā€™s not good enough Singo. Try harder.

1 Like

Radioheadā€¦I agree. 2CH loses millions a year and only a brave or foolhardy person would spend too much to acquire it. But it has to be sold and the price is irrelevant to ACMA.

It will probably be a sweetheart deal with the Council of Churches and the station will continue to be run by MRN. So nothing will change.

Actually 2CH doesnā€™t have to be sold, MML have to sell one of the 3, they nominated & chose to sell 2CH.

ACMA & the law doesnā€™t care which one goes, but 1 has to.
Iā€™m not sure if ACMA has the power to order one of the others to be sold if 2CH canā€™t be?

Itā€™s now really a decision as to what ACMA might do & what/how much is MML willing to lose?

Iā€™d imagine that it will most likely be either 2CH or 2UE thatā€™s sold. Realistically, thereā€™s not a snowflakeā€™s chance in hell of 2GB being sold.

1 Like

It definitely wonā€™t be 2UE thatā€™s soldā€¦MRN wonā€™t sell a Talk station to someone who could compete with 2GB. It was always part of the strategy to sell 2CH.

1 Like

MMN would rather 2CH be run into the ground and have the license cancelled than let a competitor get their hands on either of the other stations.

Couldnā€™t ACMA just revoke the licence from the current owners and offer it up for sale themselves?

Oh but that would be what an EFFECTIVE regulator would do ā€¦

3 Likes

Unfortunately the BSA doesnā€™t provide for that.