2CH Sydney

I’m sure that’s been in place since the relaunch.

1 Like

From the Oceania Capital Report released today…

• A loss before tax contribution of $1.9million from the operations of Radio 2CH Pty Ltd (2018: $2.3 million loss).
3 Likes

Also from the Annual Report:

That’s a good sign. Hopefully it means no more Cory Bernardi on the Sunday night program, whether he stays in parliament or not.

3 Likes

Convert it into a Lifestyle/Christian Talk Format.

Why? You’ve suggested this a few times now. IMO, 2CH are highly unlikely to switch to a Christian talk/lifestyle format especially when the current format of Classic Hits with a light talk element seems to be providing a decent point of difference to other commercial AM & FM stations in the market.

If they can take advantage of those sections of the audience who are growing disenchanted with the way MRN are running their talk stations but still want some music (especially if it’s older than the type WSFM plays, but not as “sleepy” as Smooth 95.3 can be at times), I think they’ll eventually get ratings figures somewhere around the 5-6% mark in the next few years.

There’s no Melbourne Station playing Oldies anymore as Sydney still do.

So convert 2CH to be Christian Talkback so both cities don’t have an Oldies station?

2 Likes

Hope 103.2 and Vision Radio successfully cater for the Christian community.

3 Likes

The Melbourne radio market should still have at least one station playing oldies (especially when the smaller metro markets of Brisbane, Adelaide & Perth seem to be able to support one), but let’s not get into that debate again…

As far as I can tell, both of Sydney’s two most observed religions (with the other one being Muslim, represented by 2MFM and Voice of Islam) are fairly well covered by community & narrowcast stations.

Commercial radio needs to cater to a wider/mainstream audience, although a soft Christian push by a station like 2CH is probably OK.

I have no objection to some religious content but I can’t understand why they have a one hour religious programme at 730 on a Sunday morning. I turn off for the day and tune in again on Monday morning.

1 Like

And give the Folau-crowd an outlet for their views? No thanks.

6 Likes

Yes and that’s a glaring gap in the Melbourne market when every other mainland capital has one. 2CH, 4KQ, Cruise and 6iX.

Christian talk is the last thing this country needs.

5 Likes

Whilst not a metro market, Canberra has one too with 2CA.

3 Likes

1629 Radio Nostalgia can fill the void.

Or maybe the Owners of 2CH can buy the Spare 558am Frequency in Melbourne after 7BU in Burnie Vacated the Frequency to move to FM.

They need a licence to broadcast and right now there aren’t any available in Melbourne even if there were frequencies available.

2 Likes

Well Burnie’s 7BU moved to FM over there and 558 is’nt used for anything at the Moment.

Doesn’t matter. The government has issued only 5 commercial AM licences for Melbourne and all are in use i.e. 693, 927, 1116, 1278, 1377. There is no licence available for a 6th.
And even if there was, there is no guarantee that 558 could be used in Melbourne.

5 Likes

Well we could debate whether the simulcast on 1377 qualifies as “in use”…

Seriously, you are correct and if the Govt had wanted they could have re-designated the 1422 and 1593 HPON services as frequencies for commercial licences and held an auction.

3 Likes

3 Likes