2CH Sydney

Bob Rogers had a stroke on-air on 2CH five weeks ago, but at 91 he is determined to go back to work full-time six days a week despite his family wanting him to reduce his work load to one day per week. Rogers expects to be back at work soon, and says he will retire sometime after turning 100.

Story here:

3 Likes

Iā€™m all for working as long as you want, but really? Does the audience still want to hear him?

1 Like

From what I can tell (admittedly going by the 9am-midday ratings, while Rogersā€™ is on-air actually on-air until 1pm), Bob Rogers actually presents 2CHā€™s highest rating program on weekdays, with figures around the 4-5% mark during the surveys weā€™ve had this year. Not quite Hadley-level ratings, but respectable compared to how 2CH goes in some other timeslots.

No idea how his Saturday night ā€œReminiscingā€ goes in the ratings, but Iā€™d imagine that itā€™s reasonably popular with the 65+ demographic!

2 Likes

Maybe Bob Rogers is trying to enter the Guinness World Records

1 Like

Agree.

Heā€™s had the elderly quiver in his voce for over 15 years now. Unsuitable for commercial radio.

If you wonder what I mean by ā€˜elderly quiverā€™, listen to community radio and some oldies on there.

2 Likes

For being the first to die on air? :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, I know exactly what you mean.

1 Like

Surely they could just get him in the studio for a few weeks and voice track the next decade of his showsā€¦

5 Likes

Bob Rogers announces his retirement:
http://www.2ch.com.au/entertainment/2chs-bob-rogers-hangs-up-the-headphones/

5 Likes

Now this is massive news for 2CH, the retirement of the presenter who hosts the stationā€™s highest rating (albeit not quite Hadley-levels, but still respectable figures compared to other timeslots) program on weekdays.

Judging by the audio it sounds like Bob Rogers might still do ā€œReminiscingā€ on Saturday nights, but personally I hope that program will eventually be phased out in favour of a more upbeat music program focusing on 60s/70s music which has been missing from Sydney radio since ā€œSaturday Night Liveā€ with Pete Graham finished up on 2UE/Talking Lifestyle on Easter Saturday.

3 Likes

Congratulations to Bob on a long and distinguished career!

74 years in the one industry is a truly remarkable achievement.

6 Likes

I wonder how many people starting off in the modern era of radio will last that long.

Unfortunately, Iā€™d probably have to say none. If itā€™s even still around in 74 years time, Iā€™d imagine that radio will be a very different beast to what it is now.

But back to 2CH. I know heā€™s also getting on in age, but one wonders if Gareth McCray (when/if he returns to the station from long service leave) might pick up Bob Rogersā€™ old role next year?

1 Like

Well done Bob, happy retirement. When I lived in Sydney, way back in the 70ā€™s, I used to listen to Bob all day on a Sunday when he was on 2KY before it became Sky Sports. From memory he did his show from 9am until 5pm. Canā€™t remember all the guests he used to have on but remember he had his daughter Sheridan on sometimes.

5 Likes

Well done Bob on a stellar career.

The same cannot be said for whoever edits his voicetracking. Way too much chopping.

3 Likes

God how badly edited are his breaks?? It sounds like he doesnā€™t take a breath, they just remove any and all gaps.

http://www.2ch.com.au/entertainment/2chs-bob-rogers-hangs-up-the-headphones/?fbclid=IwAR2fK4C9jnsuIc8z-mon9w4gJLSKzHhjmQ1AJRKr6jl-YKO8XPzr2wa18wg

2 Likes

So it looks like Lawsie wins this one.

3 Likes

Yes, I think 2SM have the same problem with their news bulletins, at least the ones that go out on their FM regional network.

If Only BOG could buy 2CH and share news Services with 2SM, 1170 is a Stronger Frequency for Ratings anyway if BOG do buy 2CH, The 60ā€™s and 70ā€™s Music would go to 1269 and 1170 WOuld Become a Hybrid Talk/Lifestyle Station.

1 Like

is there that much difference between 1170 and 1269 in terms of signal?

2 Likes