2CH Sydney

Sadly I think it’s as certain as it can be that Magic will be no more come 27th February and will be replaced by Talking Lifestyle. Some Talking Lifestyle presenters are already hinting on air at being heard in Melbourne and Brisbane from next month. And in recent days any on air references by the presenters to 2UE seem to have disappeared, with the station being referred to just as Talking Lifestyle presumably in preparation for the rollout (a very sad demise for the 2UE name but that’s another story!)

1 Like

When Talking Lifestyle was announced it was stated that John & Garry would also be heard nationally in 2017. It way always planned it seems that 1278 and 1116 will be Lifestyle.

Which would sadly leave Brisbane as the only mainland state capital without a (proper) commercial talkback station.

This can only help ABC Radio Brisbane (612).

2 Likes

I’m trying to find out more details, but Macquarie Engineers have been (last few days) installing 2CH’s “new” (superseded model & used I think) transmitter, that was at a temporary location, & is now being moved to Homebush Bay.

It’s a Nautel XR12 transmitter, I don’t know if it was one of 2GB’s old ones from the TX site on the point, or where it came from, but from what I’ve heard, it sounds like Macquaire had an old spare TX, & some deal was done with the sale for the new owners to have it. Macquarie may be taking back the good current 2CH TX’s?

I’m also not sure what TX site this “new” TX is going to, if it’s the existing BA 1107/1170 site, or the new & improved 2KY/2GB site?

3 Likes

The ACMA database only lists the 1107/1170 site for 2CH, so surely it would have to be that site.
I’d have also thought that EON would rather deal with BA rather than Macquarie long term as landlord.

The ACMA database hasn’t been fully updated for quite some time, a while ago they changed the way it’s done & how/what details recorded & it hasn’t all been done yet.
Rumours are around both 2CH & 2UE will be moving to the 2KY site, but until it is confirmed I can’t say what’s happening.

The 2KY/2GB TX site is owned & operated by 2KY, Macquarie are only tenants there, SKY Racing Radio are the landlords.

To be honest, I’m not sure if the Macquarie engineers even look after the 2GB TX’s at the new site, I think they are maintained under contract by the 2KY engineers?

1 Like

1116 will be staying as 4BC in Brisbane. It’s 882 that’s being rebranded

1 Like

Yes sorry, I got that wrong.

Me too! :astonished:

If Talking Lifestyle is replacing the magic brand in Melbourne & Brisbane wont that mean the old 4BH on 882 not 4BC 1116 ???

1 Like

Yes, I already wrote that I was wrong, had a mind slip.

Looks like http://2ch.com.au/ has been disconnected. Either moving to EON or turned off by Macquarie?

looking at whois, it appears it was switched a week or so ago.

Their website has always been www.2ch.com and is still online.

2ch.com.au has always worked as a redirect to 2ch.com though - so they’re most likely getting ready for a change sometime soon.

3 Likes

What’s with 2CH and dodgy logos!?! Again they’ve changed their logo according to their Facebook page. Hopefully only temporary.

For those fortunate enough not to see it yet…

I never thought I’d say this, but the “Happy Days” logo of 2014-16 actually looks like a masterpiece compared to the “logo” (and I use that term extremely loosely) currently being used on their Facebook page!

I still say bring back the old “Harbour Bridge H” logo or at least do a modernised version of it.

3 Likes

Pushing DAB+ is at least a plus.

Edit: Had a look at the 2CH Android app, it has 1 thousand downloads equal second last amongst the Macquarie stations with Magic 882, only NTS has less downloads - 100.

4 Likes

FINALLY a station actually pushing DAB! Only took 8 or so years!

6 Likes

I suspect that logo is temporary so they can distance themselves from the Magic branding for the time being.

1 Like

It may be temporary, but we’re talking about metro Sydney radio.

How do you sell that high school Googled rubbish to agencies?

4 Likes