2CH Sydney

Via RadioInfo:

Former regional radio network owner, Brad Smart, wrote an opinion piece on his blog, re Macquarie Media’s continuing ownership of 2CH.

Read more: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/2ch-sale-play-rules-or-get-out-broadcasting-says-brad-smart

2 Likes

As often the case, Brad is correct. Well written, astute owner. He might have owned small market stations but he was no inexperienced amateur in his conduct like some are in smaller markets.

[quote]Staff at Magic 2CH 1170 celebrated Sydney radio celebrity Bob Rogers’ 90th birthday today.

Happy birthday Bob!

#BobRogers #7News[/quote]

Video here:

I am wondering why doesnt MRN network Bob Rogers Morning show into Melbourne and Brisbane for and Keep Dave Ferguson on weekend Mornings?

I suspect that if Magic 2CH was definitely staying on air long term, that might well have been the plan. As it is, the impending sale means it is likely that the station has only a few more weeks left at most. There are also rumours that early in the new year Magic will disappear from Melbourne and Brisbane too and be replaced by what will effectively be simulcasting of 2UE Talking Lifestyle.

I believe that sometime in the next week, that “rumour” will be confirmed. Staff have already been told.

1 Like

I hope we get a music station in Sydney, not a foreign station or religious music.

Voice of Australia 1170 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I still think Carallis is the logical buyer if it goes for a song. The 2SM group already have a Newsroom (better than nothing) and Sales Staff.

Zoo 1170 would be cheap to run.

2 Likes

…We love Sydney (not really.)… Forever Classic 2CH!..

…From the top of the Blue Mountains and right across the Emerald City, welcome to Forever Classic 2CH…

…Now, here’s Barry the Monkey with another 30 minute music marathon, on Forever Classic 2CH…

1 Like

Well the best Christmas gift would be , Forever Classic, or The Breeze. If we had a Fun superdigi with 60s music that would be good also. But just call it classic hits 2CH.

No talk station, No sports station please.

Thta’s what CH stands for isn’t it? :slight_smile:

Personally, I just hope that whoever buys 2CH will make the station relevant to Sydney again.

In 1992 there must have been some thought of changing the name to Breeze as 2CH registered it as a trademark, though the registration has now lapsed.

Yes with the changes being made with 2ue and 2gb being or planning to be networked it would be nice to have a local station…

Whilst I don’t think it should be talkback, if it’s really good and very Sydney centric it would be good to see them beat 2gb in the ratings. In reality, I would be afraid it will just be like the Melbourne experiment, MTR which was an expensive lesson.

Bring on 2CH classic hits. Hopefully a bit more variety than wsfm version.:wink:

1 Like

The same logo as was adopted by 3EE The Breeze when it launched in 1992. 3EE and 2CH both controlled by AWA… but the failure of 3EE obviously deemed the “Breeze” brand obsolete so no wonder 2CH didn’t follow suit.

2 Likes

Thank you, exactly. Protecting their turf in case the brand became enviable.

Trying to find more info, but there’s word about that 2CH has been sold?

I’ve heard there was supposed to be a market announcement last week, but it’s been held up apparently, with some issue over a religious broadcasting clause. Don’t know if that means that part of the sale contract says the buyer has to broadcast some religious programming & advertising (announcements), & they don’t want to, or what?

Not hearing any hints on who has actually bought it though.

1 Like

I’ve read that when Singleton bought 2CH from the NSW Council of Churches there was a caveat over the licence that restricts some advertising, like gambling and alcohol, and that there must be religion programs on Sundays. The potential new owner must be wanting to have the caveat removed.