2CH Sydney

The Oceania Capital half year financial report shows that the financial performance of 2CH is improving. Revenue is up, and the loss isn’t as bad as last year.

Full report PDF here:
https://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics/displayAnnouncement.do?display=pdf&idsId=02048428

5 Likes

Yes but if that continues its still a loss of $1.6 million pa …which I agree is better than the $2.3 million loss in the previous year. But the station now owes them a lot more than they paid for it.

2 Likes

I just don’t get it.

A bunch of disconnected sentences jammed together.

Is there any thought process going on at 2CH?

http://www.2ch.com.au/entertainment/2chs-bob-rogers-hangs-up-the-headphones/?fbclid=IwAR2fK4C9jnsuIc8z-mon9w4gJLSKzHhjmQ1AJRKr6jl-YKO8XPzr2wa18wg

Was there any mention by Laws? What day was this announced? 2SM has been uploading all recent shows.

2SM I feel sounds better further away from the site in Sydney. Perhaps it’s perception only? All similar or adjacent TX sites, so wouldn’t be much. @littlegezzybear is right.

GB is strong in Goulburn. I know of a local there who has a radio of older decades and receives reliable reception.

With the same or adjacent sites, you’d think lower freq stations should get out better if not co-channeled at night.

So they’re on a path of improvement, incrementally as it is. There’s plenty more revenue to be written it shows.

2CH was neglected by Singo, no response to the introduction of Smooth, plenty of work still to be done. Plenty of now great and formerly great stations began new eras with a slow climb upwards.

2 Likes

Could 2CH’s Owners consist of expanding into Melbourne by Buying 1377am from Crocmedia which Craig Hutchison is Destroying by Straight Relaying SEN???

It’s hard to buy something which isn’t for sale, particularly when the current owner sees value in keeping it.

3 Likes

From what I gather from the above post, I think 2CH would be sounding a little bit similar to 2CA in Canberra, which would certainly not be a bad thing at all. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s all well and good to tweak the music format & change the presenters but personally, I think the #1 priority for 2CH in 2019 should be to increase the level of external advertisting for the station.

One of the reasons WSFM and Smooth 95.3 have been rating well in recent years surely has to be because those stations have been backed up by decent promotional/branding campaigns, particularly with their use of billboards & TV advertising. Can’t really say the same thing about 2CH, even though they probably need 30 second spots running on TV during strategic timeslots (such as during the 6pm news on Seven or Nine) far more than WS or Smooth do!

2 Likes

Problem is that those timeslots/programs are probably the most expensive to buy ad time, and is 2CH in a position to pay that sort of money?

2 Likes

Fair point, especially when you look at how amateurish their website looks!

I just tuned into 2ch and heard a classic hits 2ch positioner. Like 2uw was in the late 80s. Let see if thw music is similar.

3 Likes

I would still like their programmes particularly at the weekend revamped. On a Saturday evening I would have preferred Pete Grahame but I understand the reasons in keeping with Bob. Regardless of any conditions agreed to in the past I really can’t see why they keep the religious segments during the day on Sunday and the crap they do on Sunday evenings.

2 Likes

They seem like they have certain obligations to be met as condition of the sale from MRN. Thus they cannot change too much. If they became a breeze fm or even rebel clone with some promotion on tv, billboards and push dab it will be interesting what the results would be. I believe old people only liking sleepy music is a bit of a stereotype. Let smooth worry about that. Not saying stop all the carpenters songs but add some upbeat songs too. Throw in some rarer hits.

4 Likes

The one thing I always loved about 2CH is they have such a good sound on AM and a great sound on DAB with nice processing and great stereo seperation almost like they use stereo widening.
Used to stream their DAB+ stream all the time via the logger in my time working for 4BC

3 Likes

Just heard take it easy with Classic hits 2ch. No notable changes in the playlist. Might come in new year. When compared to classic hits FUN, it very different.

1 Like

Cherie Romano will make sure the station is looked after. She’s the GM, she didn’t sign up for a retainer, the reward comes in the increased revenue her experience and those she employs bring to the station.

It would be good to move out of the Pyrmont location, find a more economical lease or freehold.

2 Likes

I noted Kel Richards was doing a shift on 2gb today. Still feels like the old owners have some control.

Perhaps he was the only one they asked to fill the public holiday.

When the license for 2CH was sold to Macquarie there were certain caveats on the deal that required religious content on Sundays, I think there was also a ban on advertising alcohol on Sundays as well.

These conditions were attached to the original license issued to the Council of Churches, they passed to Macquarie and it’s entirely possibly they’re still in force with the new owners.

Given those obligations, Kel is a good choice to present contemporary religious programs on certain big days like Christmas.

4 Likes

2CH have Ditched the Easy Classics name and gone far Classic Hits of the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s.

5 Likes

Interesting that 2CH is now using the same positioner that WS had abandoned nearly 5 years ago in favour of the “Pure Gold” branding. ARN still uses the “Classic Hits” positioner for 4KQ in Brisbane & Cruise in Adelaide.

4 Likes