2CH Sydney

Have heard the same rumour as well jasatkniox33.

2CH can still be owned by MacQuarie if a New Media Reform Occurs either February or March, If Metro Commercial Stations Two Station Limit is Lifted and for Better, 2CH shall become a Magic Rebranded Station.

I believe they could manage it on behalf of a new owner also, likewise they could also apply and no doubt be granted and extension of time which could take them over the threshold if the rules change.

1 Like

From what I’m hearing, 2CH is to become Magic 1170 soon.

Guess we’ll just have to wait & see if it’s just Magic 1278 like Magic 882 or if it has different programming?

I wonder if all Magic 1278 staff will be sacked (again), & all 3 Magic stations will come out of Sydney, in the not too distant future?

Though it could all just be another rumour, who knows?
Macquarie seems to be going back down the MTR debacle road again, with big losses across the network, & now shedding more staff.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the 2 station rule is lifted (at least for AM stations) and Macquarie get to keep 2CH/Magic 1170. With DAB radio the 2 station rule is redundant anyway with operators running a lot more than 2 stations in each market.

Looks like Donna Lynch and Andrew McLaren are in at (Magic) 2CH.

Why the brackets? That second link says “Join Andrew Overnights Mon – Fri for the songs you know and love on Magic 2CH”

Because I have a hunch the website is wrong and 2CH won’t take on the Magic brand.

I suspect the process for listing shows on both the Magic1278 and 882 websites is done automatically, where a piece of code inputs the correct frequency for each site on each show’s listing. That assumes that the Magic’s use the same backend as 2CH.com, which it may well not.

No reason, other than that.

2CH has rebranded this afternoon as Magic 2CH!

You heard it here first.

1 Like

They’ve already changed the slideshow image on DAB+ over!

2 Likes

Ditto the branding on the mobile version of the website.

But frankly is anybody really surprised…NO.

The most interesting thing is…I thought that 2CH was going to be sold off.

Surely MRN wouldn’t rebrand a station to shortly before selling it off to a new owner who would most likely relaunch the station? Hmm…

Surely the ‘2CH’ part of Magic 2CH is just a transitional phase and will be dropped eventually to Magic 1170, once the 2 station rule is dropped perhaps and they know for sure they can keep it.

1 Like

I’ve changed thread title to reflect new branding.

1 Like

What a difference a few hours can make.

2 Likes

I wonder if they’ve decided to make 2UE the one they sell off if they need to. They just needed to buy it so they could gut it first, so that a new buyer can’t just pick up an established station and be competitive.

2 Likes

I agree with that theory.

Obviously MRN would want to own all three (and I wonder if they would be eying off the Pacific Star stations in Melbourne, should the two station rule be dropped?) but surely it wouldn’t make sense for MRN to have a talk station plus a music one in Brisbane and Melbourne but not Sydney?

My guess is the 2CH will be phased out and it will end up as just “Magic 1170” within a year or two.

1 Like

Or maybe they’ll take a page out of SCA’s book and revert back to the “2CH 1170” brand after about 6-8 months if the ratings tank? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Probably the rules will change that will allow them to keep 2CH but my guess is that they will try and sell all 3 Magic stations and thus create a mini network for an astute buyer. It would be hard to imagine anybody buying 2CH on its own with a rating of about 4% and no doubt rubbery figures supplied by MRN.

1 Like