2021 Western Australia State Election - Media Coverage

5 Likes

Nine just finished their coverage at 9:45 PM. ABC and Seven concluded at 9:30 PM.

4 Likes

I’m surprised no one has mentioned how ridiculous the 7 News logo looks on the front of their desk??

1 Like

Don’t know what that contraption was supposed to represent in front of the desk.

7 Likes

Looks like a button to shoot the WA Liberals into space (well whatever is left of them) :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I thought it looked a bit like the lid on a rubbish bin with the blue square the flap. And the state certainly threw out a lot tonight.

Well I had a very busy day, first doing an OB at the Roebourne 50 Cent Hall during the day as voters came in out of the heat to cast the ballots.

Then from 6 to 945pm I was doing the doing the first ever election results show for Ngaarda Media covering all the results from the Pilbara and Kimberley as well as others from across the State.

Feedback has been great and tomorrow I can sleep in before hitting the working week again.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Nine’s graphics look very American with the use of the star. If they are going to use a star, it should be the Australian federation star from our flag.

8 Likes

Why is Nine’s headline there “Labor officially wins election”? No seats were “officially” awarded.

They can project a winner, they can ‘declare’ there is a winner - but “official” is the one thing it isn’t.

6 Likes

They just got an American template and used that, that’s why.

1 Like

I watched nearly all of nines coverage last night and didn’t even notice the star in the background.

I don’t think I’d describe the overall graphics as “very american” based on some star in the background

4 Likes

Especially since at last check, there is a single five pointed star in the Southern Cross emblem which appears in the Australian flag…

1 Like

There’s no stars on the WA flag though.

2 Likes

Seven pointed stars were included in the style of the flag as part of the background.

4 Likes
1 Like

I enjoyed the coverage on all 3 local channels. Didn’t see Sky News. Here’s a review.

ABC: Certainly would have helped having a local to host the coverage, but Jane Norman handled it well. Mike Nahan was a strong contributor as was Michelle Roberts. Jacob Kagi is on the rise. As always Antony Green is the standout and is a credit to the ABC. I thought they had a nice big set. 9.5/10

Seven: A big improvement on their previous set from 2017. Mark Riley was a good inclusion to be in Perth given the strict border controls. I thought having a crew inside parliament house was different but a bit excessive. Solid contributor lineup. Some of their graphics were hard to read. Overall the set looks much better than 4 years ago. 8.5/10

Nine: Good support from Chris Uhlmann and Charles Croucher from the east, Croucher certainly came across as if he’s lived in WA for years, knew his stuff. Seat by seat graphics were a bit too big. Well done to Nine for making a good effort to increase their brand awareness, only the 2nd time in over 30 years STW-9 has done a state election. 8/10

6 Likes

I feel like the state politics are very similar to the tv ratings in WA. Very one sided :rofl:.

4 Likes

Seven

Nine

ABC:

7 Likes