2019 New South Wales state election - media coverage

ABC news Channel has introduced a news 30 minute program Campaign Trail Fridays 8:15pm - 8:45pm AEST where ABC News NSW Political Correspondent Brigid Glanville explores the issues that could decide the election. With interviews from candidates and party leaders plus political reporters.

1 Like

During the last NSW election campaign, ABC TV in Albury-Wodonga region temporarily switched its 7pm news from Victorian edition to NSW edition. I wonder if it will happen again this year.

Great work from the ABC on this little gem.

I notice Campaign Trail is also shown on satellite channel ABC Australia to audiences across South East Asia and South Pacific. How is this show relevant to overseas viewers?

Some of the viewers may have been from NSW?

ABC TV Coverage

Saturday 23 March 2019
New South Wales
ABC 2

5:30pm ABC News
In the final 30 minutes before polls close, ABC News NSW brings you coverage of all the day’s
top stories as NSW Votes.

6:00pm NSW Votes: Election Night Live
Know the story of the NSW Election as Michael Rowland, Juanita Phillips and Brigid Glanville
are joined by ABC Election Analyst Antony Green for the most trusted coverage as the numbers
come in.

8:00pm NSW Votes: Election Results Live
Fast, accurate predictions and reliable analysis of the swings and trends as more than 5 million
people elect NSW’s 57th Parliament. Will Gladys Berejiklian’s government be returned or will
Michael Daley be the 46th Premier?

10:00pm NSW Votes: Call Of The Board
ABC Election Analyst Antony Green brings you a comprehensive seat-by-seat overview of how
NSW Voted. Follow the swings and trends and find out the winners and losers as well as the
seats still in doubt.

All Markets AEDT
ABC24

5:00pm ABC News
Live across Australia, Miriam Corowa presents the latest from ABC News, following
today’s top stories and coverage of events as they unfold. Plus comprehensive analysis,
context and original investigations from ABC reporters.

5:30pm ABC News: NSW Votes
In the final 30 minutes before polls close, ABC News NSW brings you coverage of all the
day’s top stories as NSW Votes.

6:00pm NSW Votes: Election Night Live
Know the story of the NSW Election as the most trusted political team bring you ABC
NEWS live coverage with Election Analyst Antony Green.

8:00pm NSW Votes: Election Results Live
Fast, accurate predictions and reliable analysis of the swings and trends as more than 5
million people elect NSW’s 57th Parliament. Will Gladys Berejiklian’s government be
returned or will Michael Daley be the 46th Premier?

10:00pm NSW Votes: Call Of The Board
ABC Election Analyst Antony Green brings you a comprehensive seat-by-seat overview of
how NSW Voted. Follow the swings and trends and find out the winners and losers as
well as the seats still in doubt.

11:00pm ABC Nightly News
Live across Australia, Lara Hyams presents the latest from ABC News, following today’s
top stories and coverage of events as they unfold. Plus comprehensive analysis, context
and original investigations from ABC reporters.

1 Like

With the ABC having all but announced who’s expected to be part of their NSW Election lineup, I wonder who’ll the commercial networks will have on.

Of course Nine will most likely have Chris Uhlmann & O’Keefe playing critical parts of the coverage, Peter Overton for sure and probably a female presenter like Allison Langdon? Not sure if Georgie Gardner would really be comfortable presenting Election Coverage while Deborah Knight will probably needed to present that night’s special half hour 6pm bulletin.

Will Seven have Michael Usher presenting Election Coverage or their special half hour 6pm bulletin on the night? Is Mark Ferguson expected to make an appearance? Chris Reason? I suppose as far as the reporters go they might have Mark Riley, Sean Berry and perhaps Sarina Andaloro (given her experience covering NSW Politics for Prime7 until recently, it’d make sense to utilise Sarina for their coverage IMO)?

I’d be willing to predict that 10 News First probably won’t do anything other than updates which is a shame, because presenters/reporters like Chris Bath, Hugh Riminton & Lisa Wilkinson would probably be better than some of the right wing pundits that other broadcasters (particularly Seven & Sky News) will likely have on.

1 Like

And their state political reporter Catalina Florez is outstanding. One of the best reporters ten have.

4 Likes

While election coverage is made for Michael Usher, I suspect 7 will go with who they had for their last NSW state election with Ferguson and Riley hosting their coverage. Sean Berry will most likely be at one of the leaders HQ.

For the federal election, I would go with a single host being Michael Usher and have Mark Riley on a breakaway panel like he usually does. Could also put Mel Doyle in there also to play the Savannah Guthrie/David Muir role. Turn Michael Usher into a Ray Martin/Kerry O’brien/Tom Brokaw and he will become synonymous with Channel 7 Election coverage, rather than having a different host every election.

For 7, they had 2007 - Mel and Kochie, 2010 - Mel and Kochie, 2013 - Chris Bath and Mark Riley and in 2016 - Chris Reason.

5 Likes

Leaders Debate

Tonight 7.30pm on ABC (NSW) and 8pm AEDT on ABC News 24
As NSW voters prepare to cast their vote in the March 23 State Election, Premier Gladys Berejiklian and Opposition Leader Michael Daley debate the key issues and the future direction of NSW. Moderated by Brigid Glanville.

Some screencaps of tonight’s Leaders Debate on ABC-TV.

This was presented from Studio 24 and therefore in native HD, but other than that it wasn’t particularly riveting stuff from an On-Air Presentation perspective!

Promo:

Opener:

Set:

Viewer Question Graphics:

Closer (Spot the obvious mistake!):

Another promo which aired after the debate, primarily focusing on the website & Antony Green’s Election Guide:

1 Like

Unless you enjoy interruptions, it wasn’t a riveting ‘debate’^ full stop.

^ I use the air quotes because every time it seemed like the two leaders were actually going to debate, Brigid stopped them from doing so

1 Like

2 Likes

The whole thing just doesn’t scream a debate. Looked more like a fireplace chit-chat.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think it would’ve been better if the debate actually had an audience (although that would’ve required a larger studio at Ultimo which mightn’t have been available on a Friday night) and people asking questions live rather than just recorded video segments.

As for the Nine promo, surely I can’t be the only one here who thinks their Election 2019 logo might’ve looked better if the state badge (golden lion & eight point stars on the St George cross, as per the NSW state flag) was incorporated into the “0” of 2019 rather than the map of NSW?

I wouldn’t say that. Ten provided a local bulletin in Victoria last year, with another local bulletin at 9.30pm.

Deborah Knight and Peter Overton will host the NSW Election Coverage.

2 Likes

Interesting. Here’s a look back at Channel 9’s coverage of the 2015 NSW Election, hosted by Karl Stefanovic. https://youtu.be/q2j3RV8Klvk

Great choice and a formidable duo.

4 Likes

PAGING @SydneyCityTV

2 Likes