2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games

I think that, while the closing ceremony was a disgrace, it’s not really that important and dredging up 18-year-old stories to snipe at journalists for doing their job is a bit too far. Joh has every right to defend herself and her network, but it’s a fucking closing ceremony. No one died. This isn’t life or death. This should be a one-day minor controversy and yet Griggs is taking this so seriously you’d be forgiven for thinking this could bring about world peace.

There are far more important things we could be devoting our attention to. Cyber attacks, a potential war in Syria, poverty. A god-fucking-damned closing ceremony on the Gold Coast isn’t a story.

8 Likes

But aren’t you perpetuating it by attacking her too?

Agree. We should move on.

4 Likes

ur being so very very unfair and extremely unfair to joh and should say sorry as such. Joh is only venting because she is an ex commonwealth athlete so she has very right to vent in this way

1 Like

I’m critiquing the whole situation. I think that being outraged by a closing ceremony is fine… up until a point. I think Joh was correct on the night but I seriously question the oxygen which is being used now.

3 Likes

Fair enough.

But if the incident looks to be affecting Joh’s reputation or her credibility, then that’s an issue and she/Seven were right in issuing a further statement clarifying and making sure any blatantly incorrect statements by Tracey were corrected.

Oxygen thief you say? It is arguably going to be the biggest story of this week and sadly possibly a memorable part of the entire Comm Games :pensive:

2 Likes

It’s really not though. Airstrikes against Syria and Russian cyberattacks are more important than a badly reviewed school-performance-on-steroids.

2 Likes

Don’t think Tracey is too happy with Joh at the moment:

1 Like

Love a good scrag fight but it’s getting nasty now. She was probably asked to resign to save face.

2 Likes

So Joh has done an excellent job of turning the debate away from the actual opening ceremony and onto the semantics about someone else’s career. This is why I said she should’ve attacked the inaccuracy of the article rather than the character of the writer.

Joh has since replied to the above tweet acknowledging she was wrong about the facts and has deleted her original tweet.

4 Likes

Ticker-tape parades will be held in various cities for athletes from each state according to commercial TV tonight. Queensland’s will be Friday 27 April in Brisbane rather than the Gold Coast. Some media reporting it is to make up for the “snub” on Sunday night’s ceremony but parades like this are common.

4 Likes

Edit: Found the video - so you don’t have to read the rest of my post!

According to Nine News in Brisbane claims by channel Seven host Johanna Griggs after the ceremony and in her subsequent statement on twitter that Seven weren’t able to show vision they had of the athletes entering the stadium because it was embargoed were incorrect.

Goldoc issued an official statement refuting that claim and also another key element of the statement that there was no dress rehearsal (because had there been it would have raised alarm bells).

The statement said that Seven could use any vision they had after 5.30pm and that there was a rehearsal that afternoon where the host broadcaster rehearsed camera positions and that rights holders were able to view the rehearsal. That claim was also supported by social media where people who viewed the rehearsal posted images.

Nine made further investigations; Tim Arvia appeared at the desk to present some findings and even had a response from Joh Griggs.

Official statement:

Rehearsal

Response from Joh Griggs to Nine. It was pointed out that the embargo referred to in that response was of elements of the closing ceremony and not the pre-show. Peter Beattie was also shown saying “they can use whatever they like”.

1 Like

This whole situation has become one big (excuse the language) clusterf**k

1 Like

Lol as long as you censor it it should be fine :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just remember the author of this article Tracey Holmes has history with 7. She was dumped just before the Sydney Olympics for having an extra marital affair.

And what’s your point?

So does Griggs who was fired by Seven in 1995 while she was on maternity leave. Griggs doesn’t hold a grudge. And it’s not good to assume someone else does.

3 Likes

More importantly what’s her point with the story. 7 have already explained themselves.

Not assuming but it’s possible.
Just pointing it out, you can all make of it what you will.

Her point? That 7’s explanation may not have been all it was cracked up to be, from the perspective of someone who would have somewhat of an idea from both the broadcasting and organising committee side.

Never been the biggest Holmes fan, but bringing up how her relationship to her husband began eighteen years ago has absolutely nothing to do with the calamity on Sunday night and is nothing more than puritanical point scoring.

1 Like

Seven wasting money still buying ads on Twitter.