10 Bold - Programs and Schedules

I meant in regards to how quickly technology moves these days, 12 years for something is a miracle. My 3 and a half year old Samsung TV is already technicaly “out of date” and hasn’t received a software update for more than a year - so sooner or later I’ll be forced into getting a separate box to use the apps once they are no longer updated via the actual TV software.

We also have two 2009 Panasonic Plasmas which are lucky enough to have MPEG4 compatibility and work flawlessly. If it wasn’t for MPEG4 compatibility, we would’ve upgraded them both a long time ago.

1 Like

That’s why you watch streaming services through a Fetch box.

Even better, Nvidia Shield.

1 Like

While I generally agree that if you’ve got a TV set from 2009 it’s probably worth thinking about an upgrade, again it has to be said that it’s actually not as simple as just popping down to your local JB Hi-Fi and getting a new TV/set top box if you live in Sydney or Melbourne at the moment…

Plenty of other ways to buy TV’s at the moment, not just in electrical stores. Not ideal, but not exactly impossible either.

Fair point, but still not ideal to be making such a major switch while about 40-50% of Ten’s metro viewers are currently in lockdown.

While I’m generally supportive of the networks switching channels from MPEG2 SD to MPEG4 HD, a credible case could’ve been made for delaying the change until Sydney & Melbourne have reopened again (when more of the population are actually able to buy new TVs and set top boxes).

Even if retail shops were open, I’m of the opinion most people who this this change affects wouldn’t be rushing out to buy new TV’s or other supporting devices to rectify this change anyway.

Honestly most people would rather just complain about a free service which they don’t pay for.

4 Likes

What I don’t get is why flip the whole channel to MPEG4? Don’t they have room to do a Nine/ Seven and have a HD simulcast of the multi channel?

Seems odd to me they made this move (although the right one for 2021)

I reckon they’re of the same mindset as SBS; they get lower ratings so a change like this now is pretty low impact compared to the most watched networks.

I can’t think of a technical reason not to do it though. The MPEG-2 decoders used for 10 BOLD prior to the change would just be sitting there would they not? Perhaps they’re not prepared to reduce the screen resolutions of their SD’s to compensate?

3 Likes

10 Bold is a high rating multi channel - number 2 so far this year, would have been number one of not for the Olympics seen on 7mate, so it certainly is a risk to potentially lose viewers.

4 Likes

Has the quality of the other SDs increased since the switchover?

I don’t know. I’m not in a Network 10 market.

1 Like

Netflix streamed the first three seasons.

It’s a very good series. Weird it’s coming so late to free to air. Obviously through viacomCBS. Surely even this would be better than Bull repeats on the main channel.

From TV Tonight:

Seal Team S5 and Evil S2 will return to 10BOLD in the Summer.

Macgyver - Season 5

From Saturday 9 October at 10:20pm

A post was merged into an existing topic: Watermarks

Wonder what this is for?

It’s been a while since the change came into place.

3 Likes

Only 6 months late!

2 Likes