1 News NZ

Hayley Holt has been away the last couple of morning on Breakfast due to illness.

Anna Burns-Francis hosted yesterday, while Matty McLean hosted today (while also reading weather). Jenny Suo read News.

1 Like

Yesterday and tonight on Seven Sharp - Hilary reported from Sydney for Harry & Meghan’s Royal Tour with Jeremy solo in studio. Hilary’s back tomorrow.

1 Like

Toni Street reading 1News tonight with Simon. I don’t think she’s read general news before, only sport.

4 Likes

Where’s Sav? Haven’t seen him in ages

1 Like

On leave apparently.

I think I saw Toni Street co-hosting 1 News last night. Not too sure…

Yep. A late call-up I believe with some others unavailable. Nonetheless, I thought she was great.
She also did Seven Sharp tonight.

1 Like

Wide angle photo of the 1 News studio.

11 Likes

John Campbell now has his own podcast on TVNZ called The Story.
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/the-story-with-john-campbell

Some glossy pictures from the FY2018 report…

Apologies if they’re a bit biggish.

5 Likes

Completely awesome use of the AR graphics on 1 News tonight.

8 Likes

Last night 1 News at 6 and Seven Sharp went without live captions as are normally supplied due to able NZ’s building being evacuated.

Check out @able_NZ’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/able_NZ/status/1062564347959042048?s=09

2 Likes

With Simon and Wendy almost in their 13th year presenting 6pm together I was wondering if this is New Zealand’s longest tv news duo?

Richard Long and Judy Bailey did 15 years.

No one will ever surpass the mother of the nation!

Quite right.

2 Likes

I knew their years were up there but I didn’t think it was 15 solid years together. Do you guys reckon Simon and Wendy will reach that mile stone? Seems they’re doing something right anyway I remember being quite skeptical about the pairing when it was announced.

1 Like

There was a break of a few months in the late 90s when TVNZ lured John Hawkesby from TV3 and paired him with Judy.

Richard was moved to weekends with Liz Gunn I think.

There was a public outcry… John went on sick leave and never returned.

The matter was eventually settled in court where TVNZ was ordered to pay John several million dollars.

I might have some of the detail wrong, but that was the gist.

As for Simon and Wendy, I guess they’ll make it… I don’t know of any unrest and their rating s are solid if only because NewsHub isn’t really making any inroads… if it ain’t broke…

Yep. Was utter madness from TVNZ at the time. But Hawkesby walked from TV3 when they wanted to pair him with Carol Hirschfeld at the start of 1999. Some bright spark at TVNZ thought they’d reunite John and Judy, who had presented shows together in the 80s (Top Half, which as I understand it was a regional forerunner to Holmes/Close Up/Seven Sharp).

As you mentioned, Richard was bumped to weekends with Liz but it only lasted only about 3 weeks I think before it was reversed after ratings tanked. Hawkesby got a 6 million dollar payout (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=125060) and never had to work another day in his life (I believe he did some MCing and charity work, but has never appeared on TV again on a regular gig).

Incidentally, if Hawkesby had stuck with TV3 we might have never seen the rise of John Campbell, who they rushed in as his replacement last minute.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly…, Top Half was seen through the north of the North Island… Today Tonight from Wellington took in the south of the North Island and the very top of the South Island… Mainland Touch came from Christchurch and The South Tonight was based in Dunedin.

3 Likes