@Leotv Yes. For the last time, it’s “That was today, this is Tonight. Goodbye.”

4 Likes

Some caps from Tonight.

10 Likes

A perfect sign off. :face_holding_back_tears:

6 Likes

Video Montage from Tonight

14 Likes

Big loss for NZ there, amazing it went for as long as it did.

6 Likes

Good to see Eric Young back in the TVNZ studios. Hopefully a sign of something good coming for a great news reader

5 Likes

Since Sunday finishes tomorrow I wanted to compile all the opens over the 22 years I could source into one video.

11 Likes

Both TVNZ shows are coming to an end tomorrow and Monday.

We will kick it off with Sunday hosted by Miriama Kamo. The Sunday crew had their last filming in studio yesterday and the series will conclude 7:30pm tomorrow on TVNZ1 & TVNZ+ after 22 years on air. It will be a massive lost for showcasing current affairs on New Zealand television and stories being told around the nation (and sourcing stories from 60 Minutes Australia on Channel 9).

And, one of the longest running programs in New Zealand television history alongside Country Calendar, consumer affairs show Fair Go will not continue on TVNZ after 47 years, since its inception in 1977. And they are also 3 years shy of celebrating its 50th anniversary. Their last episode produced by TVNZ is this Monday at 7:30pm on TVNZ1 & TVNZ+.

The good news for Fair Go is they will produce a digitally platformed content online, but less producers and reporters. It’s a fair point that they will still continue but on the different side.

4 Likes

Jenny Suo presenting sport tonight. I presume she’ll be the main fill in now that Tonight’s finished.

7 Likes

Montage from tonight’s last Sunday programme.

11 Likes

And here is the final Fair Go programme

9 Likes

I don’t know much about the history behind the show, but 4 presenters? They couldn’t slim it down to 1 or 2, especially if the show was breaking even?

2 Likes

So over the past two weeks, the following shows have ended:

• a show that fights for consumers
  • the only TV outlet for long-form journalism in NZ
  • midday news
  • late news

Yet Seven Sharp, the biggest pile of crap to have ever sullied Kiwi screens, lives on… great job, TVNZ.

10 Likes

No, that was just for the final show. Usually it was just Pippa and someone else.

8 Likes

there’s been bigger piles of crap lol

1 Like

I suppose it would be remiss of me not to mention Melody Rules :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Was that the reason Belinda Todd left NZ?

Speaking of…

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7BFjBgrejj/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Lots of references to the former 3 News this week - I suspect there must be a project underway, to formally farewell the brand.

2 Likes

Information provided to the Herald under the Official Information Act (OIA) shows TVNZ forecasts the redundancy bill for its restructure to reach $2.6 million.

The cost of producing the two most prominent shows that were cut, Sunday and Fair Go, was also provided under the OIA request.

Those programmes cost $2.7m and $1.5m respectively to produce in the past financial year. Re: News, TVNZ’s youth news platform that has also had cuts, costs $1m to produce. The figures were direct costs including wages and salaries, travel, plus studio and editing labour, TVNZ said.

Pretty reasonable costs for Sunday/Fair Go.

By comparison, Tagata Pasifika costs $2 million+ from NZ On Air to make every year, Q+A costs around $800,000, Marae costs $1.5 million from Te Mangai Paho.

Surprised Sunday isn’t higher to be honest. It would be interesting to know a breakdown of the costs and how much of it is solely headcount.

Considering TVNZ maintains these shows are still profitable, I could imagine how a few extra pennies of additional NZ On Air funds could’ve made them workable from a revenue POV.

2 Likes

What we know about TVNZ’s new ‘Current Affairs unit’

• After scrapping a number of flagship programmes, TVNZ is creating a new current affairs unit.
  • The broadcaster says it will produce long-form stories, and “keep the Fair Go brand alive.”
  • TVNZ says it needs to make changes, as more viewers go online.
7 Likes