1 News NZ

I wouldn’t guarantee that nor do I think it’s fair to really say that.

4 Likes

As it happens, I’m quite sure Greg was on his way out of TVNZ anyway. From memory he was set to join NBR to head up their video division.

2 Likes

Yeah, I appreciate the sentiment - Greg was brilliant - but it’s not a fair assumption. I’m possibly the outsider here but I’m surprised Tonight has lasted as long as it has -and was even more surprised TVNZ brought it back after it went off air during Covid.

2 Likes

Am I right in thinking they replaced Tonight with a repeat of Seven Sharp during the lockdowns? I can see them doing that again.

They did, first time around. Think it was Shortland St second time?

1 Like

No matter what you may think regarding the end of Midday and Tonight, surely TVNZ could put on something more engaging than DONDA repeats. Once Tonight wraps up, you’ll now have the midday rerun of the previous night’s episode, the new episode at 4:30, and then the repeat of the new episode in the 10:25-10:40pm slot. Even 10 doesn’t air it that much every day.

2 Likes

Is it definitely Deal or No Deal in the old Tonight slot? I’ve only seen listings for next week and it looks like Tonight is carrying on through next week at least.

Man, to think there was even a news at 4.30 at one point… now there’s nothing except 6pm. (Unless you count Breakfast… which is often debatable.)

3 Likes

As the start of news winding down in NZ begins, 1News Midday is set to end today after 28 years of broadcasting lunchtime news on TVNZ. Tonight will conclude next Friday.

13 Likes

Nice ending to Midday there.

1 Like

@Horomono The Tonight brand was first used in 1975 as Tonight at Nine, a mid-evening news and current affairs programme which screened on TV One (now TVNZ 1) five nights a week, Monday to Friday, at 9pm. Within the next year Tonight at Nine was moved half an hour later to 9.30pm and renamed as just Tonight, but had been axed by TV One after two years on air.

The Tonight brand was brought back in 1992 but replaced in 1993 by PrimeTime, and again in 1996 and 2004 respectively. (The late night and, later, mid-evening edition of One Network News ran in 1995 and One Late Edition ran from 2001 to 2003.)

1 Like

Not to forget “The Last Word” with Pam Corkery, which included a “Late Edition” news update with Neil Waka? I think after that was canned, “Tonight” returned, or may have returned to Tonight in the 2004 rebrand.

2 Likes

It was relaunched as One News Tonight with Eric Young and Kate Hawkesby to try and challenge Nightline, the show started off great but as the months rolled on it just reverted back to a news bulletin without the arts/social commentary segments and Kate Hawkesby as host.

2 Likes

Indeed, it was quite good for a period then it fell apart.

“That was today, this is Tonight…”

3 Likes

That’s right, who could forget the catchy end tagline. It was probably the last time they ever invested resources in Tonight.

Didn’t Eric present tieless to begin with? I think I remember reading that somewhere. Didn’t last long.

1 Like

Final 1 News Midday bulletin montage

15 Likes

I will maintain that despite being called ‘Tonight’ for years I have never heard anyone call that bulletin by that name except for on this forum. The Nightline brand however seemed to have name recognition.

3 Likes

Great song choice :sunglasses:

Eric was the producer as well as presenter. He was taken off as producer (but kept as a presenter). He and his replacement had a nasty clash and then he left. That’s why Kate ended up hosting solo.

4 Likes

David Lomas (now of various missing people shows) was the producer.

5 Likes

Yes he did go tieless for whatever reason (to appear edgy, I’m assuming). It was an interesting time for One News in 2004 when 6pm went solo with Judy Bailey and Tonight was a double header. Wow, I actually had no idea there was alot of background drama and involving David Lomas of all people lol

3 Likes