1 News NZ

new breakfast photos being taken. would’ve thought this would of happened when they did the “breakfast returns next week” promo

4 Likes

I would guess they recorded the Breakfast returns next week promos the final week they were on air in 2023.

2 Likes

Maybe it was one of those ideas that sounded better than it was in practice? I definitely think the 6pm hour needs to evolve for the 2020s. Incidentally Simon Dallow himself proposed more analysis and interviews when he first took over in 2005!

2 Likes

Found this on YouTube - a really old showreel of Liz Gunn! Includes some clips of her and Mike Hosking co-hosting Breakfast. (and for God’s sake, DON’T go looking at what else is on her channel!)

8 Likes

Surprised she is willing to upload her work in mainstream media, although I guess the media met her ‘standards’ back then. I did like Liz Gunn as a presenter though, and I enjoyed when she spoke out about her experience working with Mike Hosking, sadly he comes off as the normal one now.

4 Likes

I have been waiting many years for this One News promo to appear on youtube, still think its great.

9 Likes

Wow - yes one of the greats. I think it used to be on YouTube but couldn’t find it again one day a few years back.

3 Likes

Imagine how good a modern version of that would look.

4 Likes

1 news at 6 live from muriwai

2 Likes

Really good stuff so far.

1 Like

They broadcast the bulletin from there? Or just a live cross??

2 Likes

She read the whole news bulletin from there, with sport and weather done from the studio.

1 News at Midday airing at 11:30am today, due to the live Super Bowl coverage from midday.

3 Likes

Caps and Video

8 Likes

Phil O’sullivan I think he needs to relook at the 1News Brand, or just not upto the job as Head of News & Current Affairs or Executive Editor of TVNZ Newsroom,whatever the title. Was a senior reporter in 90’s but…today.

What exactly would you do?

Change format, realign Presenters & Bulletins, change formats, cut 6pm into 30min, shake up. News at 10pm, weekends as well. More Digital as well linear service, partner with newsrooms across New Zealand. News is important, so is change with times. There’s hardly any business news these days, more sports & weather than ever before. But open to others ideas too

Why cut the 6pm News to 30 minutes?

1 Like

Linear is dying, digital is way to go, look at BBC, America’s ABC, CBS, NBC. News is online by the minute 24hrs. Unless your service is 24hrs, revamp is much needed otherwise, plus theres WBD.
Only today TVNZ is restructuring again in 6 months with the new CEO.

1 Like

Isnt 1 News still the highest rating show regularly? Why would you fix something thats not broken.

3 Likes

Yes. From my point of view, market research shows that 1 News at 6pm is still the highest rated programme on New Zealand television with more than a million viewers tuning in every night.

The tech-savvy population has gravitated towards websites (e.g. 1news.co.nz) and mobile apps in the ever-evolving media landscape, while the older generation may encounter difficulties using these platforms and may opt for the more straightforward method of receiving the latest and breaking news on linear television.