1 News NZ

Brodie Kane is leaving TVNZ Breakfast to join The Hits Christchurch breakfast show, replacing Ali Pugh.

2 Likes

My bets on Jenny-May Clarkson to replace her. She’s been filling in on news with Daniel in the main chair, but obviously her specialty lies with sport.

I wonder if they might just include sports news in the news reports like how it used to be?
I’m picking there will be another Breakfast announcement before long. The relaunch hasn’t really worked out. Ratings have been on the up for The am show in the 25-54 demographic. Long been speculation by the Herald that Hilary Barry will be moved to anchor the 6pm news.

2 Likes

I Don’t understand why TVNZ would move Hilary Barry to 6PM, they already have a winning formula in Simon & Wendy. I would love to see Hilary in the 7PM slot with Mike Hosking. They both have really good on air chemistry.

I was wondering that as well. I have seen very little of breakfast since its relaunch but her role on the show seems to be more about light relief which is more suited to the weather presenter. Her appointment to the role was out of left field as I don’t think she was a sports reporter at any time during her career at TVNZ.

I am a fan of Hillary Barry but I would be surprised if she was given the 6pm gig and dumping Wendy Petrie. Lets be honest she’s had the role before on TV3 and the ratings weren’t great during her later years fronting the 6pm news.

I am a fan of Hillary Barry but I would be surprised if she was given the 6pm gig and dumping Wendy Petrie. Lets be honest she’s had the role before on TV3 and the ratings weren’t great during her later years fronting the 6pm news.

Yeah I agree, it would be a risky move. And I doubt she’s made many new fans since hosting Breakfast. Just going by the comments I’ve read I’d say she’s the least popular Breakfast presenter since Petra Bagust.

Stuff have updated their article about Brodie Kane leaving Breakfast -
“The TVNZ spokeswoman said it was too early to say if her role would be replaced” and
“A TVNZ spokeswoman said Kane would not continue to report for the station, as Pugh had.”

Good to see rolling coverage on TVNZ One tonight regarding the announcement of the new government with Seven Sharp and mostly Mike Hosking anchoring until 8:30pm.

Normal schedule on Three tonight.

Suspect they might have learned a lesson for the US election last year when Newshub were rolling for muchof the night and One had Masterchef. It was weird not to see Newshub do the same tonight.

On another note, the One News desk was in shot as Seven Sharp wrapped at 8:30.

4 Likes

Awesome effort from the Seven Sharp team tonight - Mike especially.

1 Like

Joy Reid is now 1 News’ Europe Correspondent. She’s replaced Emma Keeling, who has resigned from TVNZ.

1 Like

Emma Keeling’s two years in the role must have been up. I take it she wasn’t ready to leave the UK just yet?

Its quite interesting that TVNZ keeps its three overseas correspondent positions (Australia, US & Europe) as two year maximum postings for the journalists in the role.

US might be freelance? Not sure. It was for a while anyway.

Jack Tame and Tim Wilson were both there longer than two years while they used Dom Bowden for a bit too on enterta8nment stories.

So looks like that huge wall of screens as showcased on election night has been taken down completely. Looks like Seven Sharp & Breakfast will be on the main set until maybe next year when there is a full relaunch??!

3 Likes

I would’ve loved to have seen the fishbowl set proposed for the 2015 relaunch - the TVNZ atrium has never looked better.

4 Likes

1 News can you please have the presenter on the weekend six seated in the middle of the desk it would look so much tidier and non disproportionate with the desk. Can’t be hard either to alter the backdrop images to suit the different angle.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s possible due to the monitors in the actual desk, I believe there are two of them side by side.

1 Like

Any things possible even just have a tablet for him, does the same job

The 1 News at 6 teaser promos are horrendous now. Simon and Wendy standing in the newsroom and with terrible cameras/shaky camera work.

A mate snap chatted me it and I thought it looked ok but can’t judge from that haha I see te karere is from that’s set now too, great backdrop just awful setup so out of character.