1 News NZ

I no longer work for Discovery.

1 Like

Oops my bad, I thought you still work for them tbh.

1 Like

Must have missed this… since when is Discovery against the merger? I thought they were pretty much the only media outlet not vehemently opposed to it?

I don’t know how to make a poll on here but would be interested to know how many are for / against it. I think it’s going to be a disaster personally …

Same. Two broadcasting units that collate and disseminate news completely differently from each other. Let alone the rest of their broadcast content. The culture shock will extreme and the benefits I believe will be small.

5 Likes

Start a reply, click/tap the cog, hit “Build Poll” and the rest is fairly intuitive… but here’s one anyway:

Should TVNZ & RNZ be Merged?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
1 Like

They don’t want TVNZ RNZ to get the extra NZ on Air money the govt is allocating for them under the proposed merger. They see the NZ on Air pie getting smaller for their own commercial programmes they want funded.

2 Likes

I must admit, I do really like the idea on paper. In practice, though, there seem to be a lot of drawbacks. Particularly the fact that National have said they would undo the merger immediately. Given that they are very likely going to win the election next year, will that mean we have a merged RNZ-TVNZ for, say, 6 months or a year, and then a return to the status quo? Because if so then all this sounds like a tremendous waste of public money.

4 Likes

Daniel Faitaua hosting 1 News at Six tonight

3 Likes

And Matty McLean/Sacha McNeil hosting Seven Sharp.
It’s the NZ TV awards tonight.

2 Likes

It should be Newshub’s night at the awards.

TVNZ Queenstown reporter currently in Auckland along with Sam Kelway

2 Likes

I really hope that they do a relaunch of Breakfast next year, Jenny Suo, Matty, Melissa Stokes or Scotty and Chris Chang have really good chemistry together and I think it would be beneficial to have this lot rotate as it keeps it fresh

1 Like

Yes they need to keep it fresh. It would be good if they did a weekend and / or summer show

1 Like

Wow, what a surprise.

Just entering into their weather segment (November 26), they lost sound and pictures and screen went black. Seconds later, they abruptly ended the bulletin at 6:56pm and went straight to Primetime Lingo.

3 Likes

Interesting to see RNZ are now dipping into TVNZ’s camera feeds - little One News bug added by RNZ’s video people it seems. Merger incoming?

4 Likes

I was scrolling the past weeks tv guilds and saw a new banner for 1News - Looks a bit like Breakfast

3 Likes
3 Likes

No surprise there. Another one of Yuri’s cohort gone.

Do we know if they’re going to be doing anything with Breakfast for 2023? I know they only recently had their new set - I’m thinking more presenter-wise. It seems like they need a reset with a new team after the year they’ve had.

Breakfast/Midday ends this Friday, looks like Tonight continues until next Thursday.

3 Likes