1 News NZ

I dread what the next 1 News set might look like given the recent rebrands

4 Likes

That was kind of my point, Grady. As I said, TVNZ nearly got rid of that slot altogether.

2 Likes

I agree with @NuStraya.

3 Likes

It all looks the same… Sunday, Fair Go, Seven Sharp.

7 Likes

TV3 was the same with 60 Minutes, Campbell Live and Target in the 2000s and early 2010s before big changes for the channel which all shows as axed replacing with multi night reality programming running overtime which they are trying to resemble the Australian commercial channels.

3 Likes

If only your bosses at Discovery would stop lobbying against the merger and allow TVNZ to have the extra NZ on Air money to become an actual public broadcaster and have a nightly hard news show to challenge those in power.

Internal job by Blacksand?

I no longer work for Discovery.

1 Like

Oops my bad, I thought you still work for them tbh.

1 Like

Must have missed this… since when is Discovery against the merger? I thought they were pretty much the only media outlet not vehemently opposed to it?

I don’t know how to make a poll on here but would be interested to know how many are for / against it. I think it’s going to be a disaster personally …

i see that seven sharp is now in studio 1 at tvnz… it’s ultra small, which explains the use of only two camera angles. iirc it was used for the paralympics coverage last year

1 Like

Same. Two broadcasting units that collate and disseminate news completely differently from each other. Let alone the rest of their broadcast content. The culture shock will extreme and the benefits I believe will be small.

5 Likes

Start a reply, click/tap the cog, hit “Build Poll” and the rest is fairly intuitive… but here’s one anyway:

Should TVNZ & RNZ be Merged?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

They don’t want TVNZ RNZ to get the extra NZ on Air money the govt is allocating for them under the proposed merger. They see the NZ on Air pie getting smaller for their own commercial programmes they want funded.

2 Likes

I must admit, I do really like the idea on paper. In practice, though, there seem to be a lot of drawbacks. Particularly the fact that National have said they would undo the merger immediately. Given that they are very likely going to win the election next year, will that mean we have a merged RNZ-TVNZ for, say, 6 months or a year, and then a return to the status quo? Because if so then all this sounds like a tremendous waste of public money.

4 Likes

Daniel Faitaua hosting 1 News at Six tonight

3 Likes

And Matty McLean/Sacha McNeil hosting Seven Sharp.
It’s the NZ TV awards tonight.

2 Likes

It should be Newshub’s night at the awards.

TVNZ Queenstown reporter currently in Auckland along with Sam Kelway

2 Likes