1 News NZ

No longer part of TVNZ?

4 Likes

Oh, wow. Certainly wasn’t expecting that. He’s changed his Twitter bio, too, so he must have left. Another one bites the dust…

3 Likes

Probably got a job either Al Jazerera, BBC, Sky or ITV. Even Newshub

3 Likes

Hopefully its Newshub

Doesn’t sound like he’s leaving TVNZ. He’s coming back to NZ and Jenny May says at the end “we’ll see you back in at work at some point”

To me it seems all signs point to new Breakfast host…

Faitaua’s last day in the role will be this Friday (August 27).
Mei Heron will take over as 1News’ Europe Correspondent on August 30.

4 Likes

Matty is so much more tolerable in a reporting / roving role.

Breakfast is a real mess lately, revolving door of hosts, new presentation etc.

3 Likes

It really is. I wouldn’t be surprised if Indira is next to leave (back to RNZ to cohost Morning Report).
They need to start fresh with a new team. Daniel Faitaua & Melissa Stokes, Wendy Petrie on news would be my pick.

5 Likes

TVNZ lucked out when Rebecca Wright moved to TV3. She would bring some edge to the Breakfast role + her background in politics.

I would’ve gone with Rebecca Wright and Daniel Faitaua, Wendy Petrie on news/sport and move Matty to Seven Sharp.

4 Likes

There is also Anna Burns-Francis …was always a good fill in for Hayley before getting the US Correspondent role

I think Daniel Faitaua should definitely host but alongside Matty and have Jenny Suo, they already have chemistry so it would work well

2 Likes

You think? I’ve never rated her, personally. Always found her cold and to me, she comes across as a bit up herself.

No, I think Melissa would be a good shout, and put Wendy back on at 6pm where she belongs (even if it is at the weekend).

1 Like

Yeah I don’t like the way she interviews on 8pm, she doesn’t quite hold her own and doesn’t get to the point imho.

1 Like

I’ve always wanted BF to move to a three-host sharing arrangement - no dedicated newsreader. Daniel, Indira and Melissa would be my dream team.

Move Jenny-May back to sport and Chris Chang to Tonight.

1 Like

Wonder if Daniel isn’t part of the network anymore…

posted 3 days ago

2 Likes

Isn’t that what they do now anyway?

No, I think that’s just referring to his last day as Europe correspondent. I expect there will have been a handover of sorts where he showed Mei the ropes, as it were, handed over the keys to the TVNZ office (if they have one in London!) and so forth.

Daniel is in Singapore soon heading back to London (via instagram story)

2 Likes

Daniel returning to TVNZ newsroom in October.

2 Likes

Rebecca Wright had worked at TV3 (now Three), where its news service was known as 3 News at the time, before jumping across to TVNZ. This year she had just returned to what is now known as Newshub and is currently the anchor of Newshub’s 8pm bulletin on eden before replacing Oriini Kaipara as co-host of Newshub Nation (with Simon Shepherd) a few months later.

I have just been informed that, after three years as TVNZ’s Europe correspondent, Daniel Faitaua will be returning to New Zealand in October. His last day in the role was last Friday (27 August) and another TVNZ journalist, Mei Heron, took over from today (30 August), according to Stuff.

It is intended that Daniel will continue to be seen on various TVNZ news and current affairs programmes, including Breakfast.

Scotty Stevenson in for Jeremy on Seven Sharp last night. It’s been a while since we’ve seen him on TV1.

4 Likes

He is filling in for Matty on breakfast this week