1 News NZ

Maybe she was after a lighter workload? Play a documentary from ABC that TVNZ have no input in at all and film Carolyn Robinson in the studio to film a few links and pretend that she watched the documentary :joy:

4 Likes

Tonight…

7 Likes

Ha! Someone at TVNZ must read this forum…

5 Likes

She would be right at home presenting Australian stories with a local lead in :joy: Like the short lived ACA :thinking:

5 Likes

She’s a good newsreader it’s sad that tvnz1 don’t have enough news bulletins to use the amazing talent that they have on a regular basis.

6 Likes

Agree, maybe a more public service focused entity with greater news and current affairs output will create more opportunities.

5 Likes

I think there needs to be an early morning news bulletin at 5:30am - which is branded as 1News and not “Early Breakfast”.

For Breakfast, 6am - 8am focuses on the agenda-setting news of the day. No views, just news. Then from 8am - 9am, analysis and discussion with a panel. Also there should be an extended Breakfast show till 10am, with the last hour of the show focusing on lifestyle, cooking, sport and music/entertainment.

I would actually look at having a two-headed presentation from 6am - 8am, with the presenters reading news/sport. Then from 8am - 10am, bring in a three-headed presentation with different presenters (including a comedian?) similar to The Project’s format to lighten the rest of the show.

1News 90sec updates at 11am, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm, 8pm, 9pm, 11pm on TVNZ 1 and TVNZ Duke. Plus a tailored 90sec update for TVNZ 2 at midday, 5pm, 8pm, 10pm.

1News Live bulletins at 5:30am, midday, 4:30pm, 6pm, 10pm.

7 Likes

I dont think directly competing with am is the way to go, nor would it be very innovative to do so, other then just providing it because they do it.

If they were clever they would do a one hour news bulletin at 9am directly after breakfast. They can then use all the content from breakfast and still have 1 or 2 people on to discuss feedback from the top story or stories from breakfast once more feedback has come in and more people are awake to be interviewed

Just my 2 cents

1 Like

Thursday 16th June:
Melissa Stokes, Hadyn Jones and Jenny Suo hosted Breakfast this morning.
Also looks like J-May is in isolation, she posted a story with her son saying #dayzero

2 Likes

Wendy Petrie on 6pm and Sacha McNeil on Seven Sharp. So Jeremy Wells is the only regular presenter on shift today it would seem.

3 Likes

Further to my idea, this is the lineup I would have (without going outside of the TVNZ stable, which is already quite good).

5:30 - 8am Breakfast
Hilary Barry & Jack Tame (again, two-headed presentation with both hosts presenting news/sport) - the only exception would be a Breakfast weather presenter, possibly Dan Corbett (taken off 6pm to be more involved in weather storytelling during Breakfast) or Renee Wright?

8am - 10am Breakfast (or Good Morning?)
Jeremy Wells, Indira Stewart (hosts) & Wendy Petrie (news/sport)

12pm
1News Midday - Jenny Suo

4pm
Te Karere - Scotty Morrison

4:30pm
1News at 4:30pm - Simon Dallow

6pm (30min punchy news bulletin - lots of live crosses, correspondents, regional reporters roundup, newsroom live updates)
1News Nightly - Simon Dallow

6:30pm (more long-form stories, panel discussions, AR explainers, deeper analysis beyond the headline)
1News Examines - John Campbell & Sacha McNeil

7pm (lighter stories, community-focused, lifestyle and entertainment)
Seven Sharp - Jenny-May Clarkson, Matt McLean & Dai Henwood

10:30pm (30min punchy news bulletin, panel discussions and live guests)
1News Tonight - Susie Nordqvist

1 Like

Wendy Petrie presenting the Tonight bulletin, also presented the 6pm bulletin as well.

She’s really busy with her airtime. (16/06/2022)

3 Likes

I expect that when you’re freelance (casual), like Wendy now is, you take any shifts you can get. It tends to be a feast or a famine, so to speak, when you are a casual.

4 Likes

Some good ideas there… perhaps a little bit too much news for TV1, though? I reckon your ideas would work well for a revived TVNZ 7 - would be nice if a version of that came back when the merger with RNZ happens. (Maybe when Seven Sharp eventually runs its course, they can also bring back Campbell Live :wink:)

2 Likes

John Campbell filling in on Breakfast next week… wasn’t a long time away!

5 Likes

@medianz I have a few what-if scenarios in regard to TVNZ news and current affairs.

What if TVNZ introduced a further two news bulletins (at 5.30am and 4.30pm; in addition to its midday, 6pm and late bulletins and Te Karere) and extended its Breakfast programme to 10am?

What if the 6pm bulletin reduced from an hour to 30 minutes in duration?

What if Seven Sharp got the chop and replaced by a new, serious current affairs programme - similar to Campbell Live - at the earlier time of 6.30pm (rather than 7pm)?

And what if 1 NEWS Tonight changed its name to “1 NEWS at Ten” and inherited a format that stretches right back to Eye Witness News from the early 1980s?

Here’s the mock lineup which is based on my own opinion:

5.30-6.00am: 1 NEWS - Early Edition (new, half hour bulletin)
6.00-8.30am: Breakfast (new 2.5 hour format - featuring a mix of morning news and analysis)
8.30-10.00am: Breakfast Extra (new 1.5 hour show - a lively combination of interviews, entertainment and lifestyle segments)
12.00-12.30pm: 1 NEWS - Midday
4.00-4.30pm: Te Karere
4.30-5.00pm: 1 NEWS at 4.30pm
6.00-6.30pm: 1 NEWS at Six (new, half hour format)
6.30-7.00pm: Eye Witness (new current affairs programme with long-form stories, panel discussions and deeper analysis beyond the headlines)
10.00-11.00pm: 1 NEWS at Ten (new, hour-long format)

3 Likes

Just do News at 10. Otherwise perfect schedule once merged with RNZ.

2 Likes

@Akash_Prakash Done. 1 NEWS at Ten, in an expanded hour-long format, would be perfect for busy viewers - especially those who are unable to catch the 6pm bulletin.

2 Likes

Melissa Stokes anchored 6pm this evening.

Only a 5 minute 1 News Tonight bulletin scheduled for this evening. Starting very late at 11:05pm. Also anchored by Melissa Stokes. There’s a staff party of some sort at TVNZ this evening.

2 Likes