1 News NZ

Presumably the wall of screens form part of the new set.

1 Like

Looks and sounds awful on air! That lectern is ridiculous!

2 Likes

Looks awful! Desk should be on a riser IMO. Not a fan of the giant screen wall - would look much better incorporated into a proper set.

1 Like

The desk is absurdly big

1 Like

I quite like that vote17 desk, as for middays set though, fucking awful!

2 Likes

I wonder who is responsible for the set design over at TVNZ?! is it still done in-house? I admit I am not a fan of the new Midday News set. it looks ridiculous, the lectern looks like a black bar stool that has been placed in front of Daniel. and that HUGE new video wall showcased tonight on the leader’s debate doesn’t look like the set is complete. TVNZ falling a bit behind in terms of on-air presentation…

1 Like

I am pretty sure it is in-house these days. The horrific wooden set they had from 2008 (?)was done by a contractor though if I recall rightly.

I’d argue they’ve been behind since they went to the wooden monstrosity in 2008 and 3 upgrades that same year to the glassy one.

4 Likes

It’s good that they do their graphics in house because they’ve improved a huge deal since everything was unified. As for sets it’s a shame because 3 have used Jago for their current and previous set. If Tvnz can’t afford it why not look at their work online theirs heaps of ideas and conjure out something like theirs. I have a feeling these new sets will be another big step back.

3 Likes

Over the years on Media Spy, there’s been many comparisons about Australian TV news services on the forums.

But for something different, I’d personally be very interested to hear some “1 News vs Newshub” type comparisons from Media Spy’s New Zealand correspondents. Some of the questions that come to mind…

*Who are popular (or otherwise) newsreaders/reporters in New Zealand?
*How does the content/reporting style compare between the two news services?
*Do NZ news services participate in some of the more dubious tactics to get viewers watching (viewer competitions, journalistically questionable “Special Reports”) that Seven and Nine do for their 6pm bulletins here in Australia?

On-Air Presentation wise, from what I’ve seen I’d probably say that NewsHub has the better set, 1 News has the better theme music (especially for the different versions for each time of the day - I’d quite like an Australian news service to implement this idea!) while both major TV news services in NZ have better graphics than most Australian TV news services IMO. :slight_smile:

5 Likes
  • Hilary Barry who was the front person with Mike McRoberts on Newshub and now does Breakfast on TVNZ1 is beloved but I wish she’d return to the news desk. McRoberts is very good, while Peter Williams (1 News weekend reader) has had plenty of experience, formerly a sports presenter/commentator before switching to news and would still be my favourite.

• Reporting style is fairly similar between both networks. Reporters often switch networks. Less tabloid than Australian commercials for sure but not as ‘rigid’ as the ABC. National bulletins obviously means less time for hyper-local stories but it does mean big local issues are relegated to late in the bulletins or not covered at all.

• No, fortunately that curse hasn’t hit NZ yet. Political coverage remains a big driver here, election or not but the specia report style ads with big letters etc hasn’t hit here.

5 Likes

I’d say that Newshub presenters are more popular with the NZ public. For instance, you have Patrick Gower (Political Editor) who is known for his often comedic reporting style. Then you have John Campbell who presented the flagship bulletin for years before heading his own show at 7pm. When Campbell’s show was axed, he was backed by a lot of the country. Like @OnAir has said, there are a lot of reporters and presenters who have switched networks. However, 1 News does have a lot of Newshub’s former senior reporters and presenters.

4 Likes

I think for me I prefer 1 News, grew up with it and seen it through its changes. I’m not really a fan of Newshub, I’ve always tried to watch it but I find it rather robotic in deliverance and fairly bland.

Presentation are good on both channels, newshub has a better set.

I think 1 News take the news a lot more seriously.

If NZ news adopted an Australian style type of bulletin I would probably turn off, far too commercial magazine like with tacky additions. Thank god no completion like shit to grab viewers. NZ try grab their viewers by delivering on their promise of what’s in their names… News

@Korero don’t forget too a lot of newshub personalities came from tvnz too. I think it’s fair to say it would be hard to find many who have stayed loyal to one broadcaster now. I think more have stayed loyal to TVNZ, Simon, Peter, Greg, Mike Hosking just to name a few if I’m correct lol

2 Likes

@SydneyCityTV

Here is Newshubs 6pm from tonight courtesy of @ScreenTower … would be most appreciated if he could upload tomorrow’s bulletins from both 1 and 3 for if you can’t access tvnz od.

https://youtu.be/ZpSIaQ-EyCw

1 Like

This probably belongs on the other thread but would you say New Zealanders have warmed to the Newshub branding? I’m not from New Zealand but I have seen plenty of Newshub but just think 3 News was a whole lot better and modern.

1 Like

One thing that irritates me on 1 is that males don’t where a tie on Midday and Tonight… looks untidy, no matter what time of the day it is, it’s still news. Ties on! Oh and Tonight need to cut out the crappy music over their weather!

2 Likes

When it first launched, Newshub was gaining a significant increase in viewership in comparison to 3 News. This was likely down to audiences wanting to test the new service, to see what set it apart from its predecessor.

I agree, I thought the 3 News brand was much more modern. I was slightly underwhelmed when Newshub launched, as the graphics took a step down from the previous 3 News graphics package. But what became apparent overtime (at least to me) was that the quality of journalism increased & reporters had alot more confidence in using graphics as a way to make there stories more compelling and engaging. also can i mention the presenting style of Newshub is much better than 1 News and in comparison to TVNZ’S news service, I much prefer Newshub over 1 News.
best reporter currently serving under the Newshub brand: Patrick Gower. the man has undeniable charisma and can make even the blandest of news stories, seem incredibly engaging. He is also well liked among youth.

4 Likes

I would have put Hilary Barry right at the top of a most popular list when she was with Mediaworks but I have read a LOT of negative comments since she joined TVNZ/the Breakfast format.

Most popular IMO at Newshub:.
Patrick Gower
Mike McRoberts
Kanoa Lloyd
Sam Hayes

1 News:
Peter Williams
Jack Tame
Pippa Wetzell
Miriama Kamo
Toni Street

I like the Newshub brand. I find the set & presentation is a lot nicer than TVNZ.

4 Likes

True. Nicole Bremner and Lorelei Mason are also names I would throw into that mix. I guess I see for example, Alistair Wilkinson who used to present 3 Weekend News is now Executive Producer for Seven Sharp; Carolyn Robinson is presenting 20/20, and of course Hilary. Then you have Rebecca Wright, Anna Burns-Francis, Emily Cooper, Jenny Suo who have moved over too.

I find Gower rather obnoxious, no This is the fu*king news video is going to make me appreciate him anymore.

She departed TVNZ earlier this year, FYI. :slight_smile:

1 Like