WIN News

Would any of those stations be dominant with TEN programming? I doubt it.

I don’t think local news makes a difference to overall ratings anymore, this is especially the case now. WIN’s target audience for most of their programming are not the type to watch local news with Geoff Phillips. They need to evolve.

2 Likes

I agree… None of the stations that KICK-IT have listed use TEN’s programming.

You need strong prime time programming to back up local news.

We all saw how CAPITAL faded in Canberra…It was still strong in the first few years of aggregation, but once viewers got used to the idea that there were other prime time news services and programs available via PRIME and WIN, both of whom were tied to networks that were more popular in metro areas, Canberra viewers started to follow those trends by the mid 90s.

4 Likes

WIN will
Never be dominant with Ten programming.

But a strong local news means a stronger primteime. 6pm sets up the night.

WIN will be weaker without local news

6 Likes

SC for a while rated far worse than Ten for the same content, while Nine affiliates generally out performed Nine - I think you can put a lot of that down to localism.

Though Prime kinda show that you can win without it.

Yep, I would have to agree with that.

Apart from a few programs (MasterChef, BBL, etc.), Ten’s programing generally rates lower than what airs on Seven or Nine. Ten also has the disadvantage of it’s news/sports departments not being as strong as those of the big two, as well as the fact that some of the primetime programing (The Bachelor/Bachelorette, Offspring , The Wrong Girl, etc.) seems to be targeted towards a demographic which is probably considerably bigger in metropolitan areas than regional Australia.

Going through Trove’s archived editions of The Canberra Times, I think 1992 was the year when Capital first started to decline in the Canberra ratings. That of course being the year that Ten/Capital lost the rugby league broadcasting rights to Nine/WIN, the year Capital very briefly moved (it only lasted about a month before switching back!) the 6pm bulletin to 5pm to match what the network was doing at the time and also the year that WIN Television won it’s first ratings survey in Canberra.

Back to contemporary matters, it’ll be rather interesting to see what happens with WIN News in 2017. Personally, I think they can survive and perhaps even thrive if they polish up the production standards of their bulletins, include a short statewide/national/international news segment, etc. Placing more of a promotional emphasis on being produced/presented in regional Australia (compared to the new SCA Nine bulletins which will be produced/presented from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane) probably wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

2 Likes

Former Southern Cross News reporter Amira Vaatstra presented WIN News tonight. It appears she will be their new permanent weekend presenter.

Didn’t know she moved on from SC.

As for the earlier conversation about the lack of success of stations with Ten’s programming. I believe Southern Cross was still winning by a reasonable margin even when they had dual 7/10 affiliation and had Neighbours as a lead in to the news for many years. I think the margin was much closer before WIN had been messing with their formulas and they had stability with Tom and John however with Ten lead in programming SC were still dominant I believe.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Sunshine Coast Version

3 Likes

Fun fact: The music (which of course, is yet another selection from the Audio Network library of production music) used in those newer WIN News promos was also used by TVS News when the now-defunct Sydney community TV station had a weekly local news service in partnership with Fairfax Community Newspapers for [a few] (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgwySsw2v-Q) years. Quite possibly the closest thing that Sydney will ever get to a regional-style news bulletin!

I can’t with these WIN News promos. So bad.

Correct Amira is the permanent weekend presenter for WIN News Tasmania and journalist for three weekdays - a strong journalist with experience.

1 Like

I like the music, but doesn’t suit 2016

Not sure you can make that much of a selling point, or even a point of difference, when especially in the case of Victoria the bulletins are presented from up to 800+km away (in another state!), and up to twice that distance in Queensland!

1 Like

WIN will be airing the news at 5.35pm next Friday due to the primetime BBL match. Which means only around half of Ten News will go to air.

At least WIN are airing a news instead of MIA due to network sporting commitments.

This is for Tasmania as I haven’t checked other regions.

WIN News Tasmania is a local-only bulletin on weeknights these days, isn’t it?

If that’s the case, I presume that Southern NSW/ACT and Victoria will be affected too. If so I guess this means that for the very first time since the affiliation switch, viewers will probably see a special pre-recorded “…and that’s where we leave Ten Eyewitness News for our WIN viewers, your local news is next” outro?

1 Like

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:1285, topic:214, full:true”]
WIN News Tasmania is a local-only bulletin on weeknights these days, isn’t it?
[/quote]That is correct. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Caps of the WIN News Tasmania set from May 1999 with Tom Payne and Cameron Best:

5 Likes

Some caps from video taken at WIN Hobart… not best quality but better than nothing.

7 Likes

That’s how it should look like now, an actual set, and dual presenters

4 Likes