WIN News

I don’t get to see any of their local news bulletins too often for obvious reasons, but judging by the comments on this forum there are certainly far bigger issues with WIN News than a lack of HD production…

1 Like

Not sure if anyone else would share this opinion, but something that I find turns me away from WIN News a bit is its lack of a “local feel”.

Sure, it covers a few local news stories, but it’s really packed with random fillers from other areas which aren’t too relevant and the presenters frequently mispronounce the names of popular suburbs and towns in the region.

As well as the continuously revolving door of presenters one after the other. They barely seem to be able to last much more than 12 months before they’re changing them again, which shits me.

In contrast, 7 News has a much nicer set, consistent and more professional (in my opinion) presenters, a much more local feel with the city backdrop shown, as well as correct pronunciation of important local areas. It’s really no surprise that people in QLD mostly prefer 7 News over WIN News

6 Likes

In some ways, the same can be said for ABC News in Canberra, where it seemed to have a more local feel than WIN News for a similar reason to that of Seven Local News, particularly in regards to showing the backdrop of Canberra in the bulletin. This is despite the fact that ABC News generally have way fewer local news items than WIN News does.

3 Likes

That, and the fact that ABC News is broadcast out of the studios at Dickson, rather than from Wollongong…

5 Likes

[quote=“webguy, post:913, topic:214, full:true”]
and Southern Cross Tasmania News are also not in HD and they don’t have any issues getting people to tune in.[/quote]We’re fortunate that SC are in actual widescreen! :expressionless: Equipment they use is mostly still analogue from what I understand. Point taken though. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“NQCQTV2, post:915, topic:214, full:true”]
Not sure if anyone else would share this opinion, but something that I find turns me away from WIN News a bit is its lack of a “local feel”.

Sure, it covers a few local news stories, but it’s really packed with random fillers from other areas which aren’t too relevant and the presenters frequently mispronounce the names of popular suburbs and towns in the region.

As well as the continuously revolving door of presenters one after the other. They barely seem to be able to last much more than 12 months before they’re changing them again, which shits me.[/quote]Oh definitely. I’ve been thinking the same things you’ve mentioned for a number of years now. Since the switch from Nine to Ten it has become more obvious with even more filler content sourced from Ten News.

2 Likes

Someone at WIN News Toowoomba was a little bit excited by these exclusive pictures. Yes, this is legit.

For comparison see the 7 Local News version here.

In other Queensland news, Lincoln Humphries is back to presenting sport, he was presenting both news and sport for two weeks following Natassia’s departure and has just returned from two weeks holiday. Corinne May is on news.

Queensland bulletins have now joined in with the network standard of no longer featuring both news and sport presenters on screen following the throw back from weather.

14 Likes

Very reminiscent of the now infamous News Corp watermark(s) used on the Packer/Gyngell fight photos a couple of years ago! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Are you sure this isn’t meant to be in the Tounge and cheek mocks.?

Yeah nah.

A blooper from the Ballarat bulletin that went to air last month. Clearly not the segue from sport that most viewers were expecting. Entertaining none the less. Apologies for the bad quality.

A similar incident happened on the Shepparton bulletin earlier this week.

10 Likes

Gold.

1 Like

How does that even happen? They must have someone really incompetent putting the pieces together in Wollongong.

2 Likes

Are the WIN News bulletins recorded ‘as live’ or do they record a string of intros then edit them in with the stories??

My understanding is the Gong studios record intros and edit them together (given how many sport reports Amy has to present on a daily basis, it seems the likely option.) I’m fairly sure Queensland is still as live, two studios with 3 bulletins out of each.

Back when bulletins were produced from the Rockhampton and Toowoomba studios, the first bulletin out of Rockhampton would be recorded around 4.40 (Cairns), then 5.20 (Rockhampton) and live at 6.00 (Townsville.)

Also, someone complained on the lack of local news aired during the Gippsland bulletin (and the majority since the July 1 timeshift,) seems like there were some technical difficulties which prevented the Gippsland bulletin going to air. This was the response from WIN on their Facebook page. Going by other posts, it’s a regular occurrence.

Len, we appreciate your comment regarding the loss of the local news service tonight, no one more disappointed than our loyal and hard working local staff.
Technical difficulties beyond our control have contributed to the problem today, the local news that you enjoy will be returned tomorrow.
The July 1st affiliation change is in no way related.

The majority of the reports featured on the Gippsland bulletin tonight were from Bendigo and Albury, both 300-400km away from Tralagon, no wonder people are switching off if this becoming the normal.

4 Likes

WIN News have been airing early afternoon news updates featuring QLD Chief of Staff Phillip Calder presenting the update from inside the newsroom.

In the background, they have 2 TVs on the wall.

One of these TVs shows the news update we’re watching appearing live, with graphics, etc.
Which appears as though they are trying to give the impression that the news update is live.

However, the second TV shows the program “The Talk” airing, which finished 35 minutes ago.

2 Likes

Do they not normally air updates through the day, is this new?

They always air updates.
But they’re normally presented from the studio.
Recently, they’ve been done from the newsroom

3 Likes

Ridiculous. What’s the point of having an “Exclusive” if your viewers can barely see it in the first place with all that rubbish on the vision. Fair enough have a bug or a small watermark, but this… :expressionless:

[quote=“webguy, post:925, topic:214, full:true”]
How does that even happen? They must have someone really incompetent putting the pieces together in Wollongong.[/quote]Similar things to this have occurred on the Tassie bulletin before. Still very amusing when it happens and someone manages to cap it. :grin:

1 Like

Due to the RU broadcasting from 5pm this Saturday, there will be no WIN News shown in Tasmania. So, I guess Lucy will have the previlege to yet again advise their viewers that if they want any sort of news on this day to switch over to Southern Cross at 6. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Why can’t they put the news broadcast on one of their other channels? Other stations seem to do it without any problems when other commitments arise…

2 Likes