WIN News

I wasn’t referring to Erin Molan. Besides, I think she was only ever part of WIN News in Canberra and not the Illawarra…

I think @SydneyCityTV means Danielle Post, not Erin Molan.

2 Likes

Danielle is COS or assistant COS of TCN News isn’t she?

Yep, I believe that Danielle is (or was?) the current Chief of Staff at Nine News Sydney.

Forgive my lack of mind reading abilities :relieved:

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Nine News Regional

A promo for a special report on PTSD that aired on WIN News across all Queensland markets tonight. Sunshine Coast based journalist Jordan Koster compiled the report, which took up the entire second block - just over five minutes in length.

3 Likes

WIN is currently looking for a ‘News Social Media Coordinator,’ based in the 'Gong headquarters.

‘Reporting to the News Director you will be responsible for ensuring that WIN’s online presence is maintained to the highest standard and manage our social media platform.’

Given the rather lacklustre effort of WIN’s current social media presence compared to other news organisations (both local and national) hopefully it’ll be a step in the right direction for WIN’s online presence.

4 Likes

A worthy topic but you don’t run this length at 6pm. WIN news have given up, this niche stuff is what you can do when you know viewers are low and don’t have anything (apart from your job) to lose.

WIN News Tas ran a 5 minute “report” about Georgia Love’s appearance on the Bachelorette last month. :blush:

WIN News bulletins have really turned to shit in the last few months. So sad.

2 Likes

@CQtvNetwork The job calls for a “co-ordinator” with at least 1 year experience in TV.

That is a junior, junior, junior role - literally a 24 year old with zero experience.

The cheapest possible solution for WIN of course. What they need to be doing is hiring a social media director with a decade experience in digital.

This role won’t affect anything. More useless posts from a 23 year old.

From today’s Illawarra Mercury:

[quote]New player in local TV news could cause problems for WIN - analyst

A competitor going head to head in the local TV news market could see WIN Television cut back on its coverage, according to media analyst Steve Allen.[/quote]

Read more: http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4275246/who-will-win-regional-news-battle/?cs=300

WIN has 3 months to work out how it can defend itself from the onslaught that will be 9 News at 6.

9 News (to be produced by Nine itself and not SCA) will come with the production might, high level producers and talent, brand and prestige of the national 9 news brand and the marketing muscle and might of Nine.

Expect to see some pretty slick Nine network produced launch promos, heavy cross promotion with SCA’s dominant radio stations, cross promotion on Today, News Now and Afternoon News in the lead up to 6pm. As well as off channel marketing and social media coverage from Nine. Not to mention slick production values, better sets and graphics, use of network reporters and resources and even possible live crosses.

Contrast this with WIN’s hokey local promos with odd music choices, snail paced and low production bulletins, reduced marketing might, limited cross promo opportunities with radio and non existent Ten breakfast shows and WIN/Ten’s third place in the ratings…

WIN News is really gonna have it tough.

WIN has 3 months to work out a plan how to manage the onslaught.

If they were smart they would be investing to defend their turf, rethinking the format, having Ten help them on marketing and promos and relaunch under the Ten brand and look.

But, my guess is…WIN News will do absolutely nothing to evolve or protect it’s turf in the text 3 months. And wither and die by mid year.

8 Likes

They’ve had 3-4 months already and done nothing. They knew this was coming.

3 Likes

Ashlea Gierke has joined WIN News as sport presenter for Toowoomba, Townsville and Wide Bay. She is a former radio presenter at Hot 91.1.

3 Likes

That’s probably what they want to happen and then blame it on competition.

4 Likes

I didn’t know there was a shortage of good newsreaders? It must be that most don’t want to work for WIN?

Lincoln is participating in Mo-vember I see. In contrast, he is a good personality.

I was thinking about this when I posted the above - granted SCA have come out since with their plans for news so it will sound similar but I wouldn’t be surprised if we see WIN consolidate the east coast bulletins into some similar format of

• WIN News Queensland (perhaps north and south)
  • WIN News NSW
  • WIN News Victoria

Being one hour bulletins. Surely they can round up enough content for a one hour statewide bulletin

Keep WIN News Canberra in a half hour format
As for WIN News Tasmania? Perhaps half an hour of their old format instead of Ten News

3 Likes

@xyz223 I largely agree with and like your idea.

I think with WIN stations now largely pushed down to the #3 ranked stations in most markets, in line with national Ten ratings. And the reduced revenue and reduced news environment that comes along with being affiliated with Ten, WIN simply won’t keep 18 local bulletins alive.

The format is out dated, probably not economically viable. And really considering the way people
Consume news not really relative in 2017.

I think WIN would be better going with a live half hour state bulletin for each QLD, SNSW, VIC and TAS at 6.

It should include a few national and state issues - and have a small local window for each of the 15-20 regions - 5 minutes no more

1 Like

I suggested an hour because of the number of bulletins that would be consolidated, but then again, if already existing half hour bulletins are being padded out with five minute stories then perhaps half an hour would be the way to go

Consolidating - not cancelling - should mean that WIN pumps out something with a bit of substance, not just 2 minute updates. It may - or may not! - also free up WIN to deliver some sort of breakfast/morning news that isn’t All Australian News on repeat