Today Extra

[quote=“JBar, post:597, topic:97, full:true”]
Today Extra is on the slide.
[/quote] Can’t wait for the day when Nine’s axes this show and Sonia Kruger.

Didn’t this used to be your preferred morning show in its Mornings days?

Preferred, no. But, when I liked it was in early 2015 when they launched the new set and Sonia was on maternity leave. Wendy and Georgie were great co-hosts. I stopped watching after Sonia’s first week back.

1 Like

Really hoping for it to be axed. But what would Nine run in its place.

Perhaps they should run the afternoon programming from 10-11.30/12 and try to run a rival show in the afternoons against The Daily Edition. That way, Nine aren’t doing another morning show (in a market which is overcrowded IMO) and it might improve their afternoons (probably axe Nine News Now). Go for a Studio 10 type show, with a live audience. I don’t know, what do you guys think?

Could always air the morning news bulletin from 9-10AM, or extend Today until 9.30 and have the news air until 10.30.

TEN did something like this with Breakfast, didn’t they?

1 Like

Exactly what I was thinking. I think it would do really well at 9am like Ten Morning News did. Something completely different to TMS and Studio 10 and will probably avoid or at least limit Today starting those stupid consumer/lifestyle stories post 7.30.

Yeah mate. From the August relaunch of ‘Mornings on Ten’, Breakfast was 6.00-8.30 and the Morning News was 10-11 (which meant it wasn’t head to head with either Seven or Nine which aired their morning news at 11.30 and 11 at time respectively). Ten Morning News actually had many timeslots from 9 am right til 11, IIRC.

2 Likes

Then what will air between 10.30m-12pm?

@nationalnews Nine will not want to lose to lose the revenue generated from advertorials during Today Extra.

See that is the problem.

[quote=“Salty, post:107, topic:670”]
nationalnews Nine will not want to lose to lose the revenue generated from advertorials during Today Extra.
[/quote] That is why I am suggesting an afternoon show. Or even if they want Nine could run the morning show (new show without Sonia Kruger pleeeeeease!) from 10-12 for something different.

I’d look at extending Today to 5.30-10, then Today Extra from 10-12 with a midday news (or Nine News Now @ 12). Then Ellen.

2 Likes

Cap of the current (logoless version, but I’m sure we can all imagine what it would look like with an orange Nine or Nine HD logo on) Promo Endtag for Today Extra:

1 Like

This might be overkill, but maybe they could keep their current news bulletin at 11.30,

and air an hour long bulletin from 9-10AM as “Today News”. It keeps the Today look and feel but acts as a traditional news bulletin of news, sport and weather (I guess similar to how Today Perth News works)

1 Like

Leave the morning schedule as is. And at 12pm, i’ll have a “Today at Midday” (aka The Midday Show type of show) type of show air. After this show, they can air an extended “Nine News Now” to a 2pm start to go against the Daily Edition.

So the only show that isn’t a news type show between 5am and 7.30pm is Hot Seat at 5.30pm.

It’s becoming that way anyway! lol

Maybe a change of hosts, but seriously why would Nine axe this program when they would have to replace it with something similar.

Sonia Kruger being on the nose? Just changing to Georgie Gardner would fix that though.

1 Like

There’s the quiz show on Gem 1:00am weekend mornings done out of Budapest that she might be interested in hosting.

1 Like

with the results of the election in the US, and the continued rise of extremist views in this country, maybe she’s more in tune with the general population than those of us who have some sort of compassion for our fellow humankind (me included) care to admit?

Maybe with certain sections of the population rather than the “general population”. If it was more general then her show should have had a boost but ratings haven’t reflected that at all.

Quite the contrary in fact, so perhaps she’s losing the audience which is more compassionate or our fellow humankind. In this game, ratings are what really matters. If you don’t pick up new viewers by being outspoken and lose others by alienating them, then you won’t survive.

Does anyone have daily figures from the past twelve months and do they substantiate J Bar’s claims?

I think any ratings declines have been around longer than that!

From what I recall, the show had a big boost when it was renamed Today Extra earlier this year and beat The Morning Show a few times but it has been slipping fast recently and has been beaten by Studio 10 a couple of times in recent weeks.

2 Likes

Yes and it won its first ratings week one week too. But that was when Today was easily beating Sunrise at breakfast.