Ten On-Air Presentation

They’re still blue & yellow, same at TEN in Brisbane plus Adelaide I’m pretty sure?

1 Like

Outdoor advertising is the most expensive part of any rebrand. I can see why Ten didn’t bother replacing the logos on buildings during a time of financial uncertainty.

2 Likes

To coincide with the premiere of The People Vs O.J Simpson, Ten has followed up with Nine and Seven, and used a on-screen classification during the beginning, and has adopted the “CC” symbol. The Classification PRG is the standard one used on DVDs and other media.

2 Likes

-heart attack-
After 10 years, IT HAS FINALLY BEEN REPLACED???

2 Likes

Being Ten, we’ll probably see it again tommorow on another show :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

This was the classification

It shrank

To this

Limitless that followed had this

2 Likes

I like the idea that it shrinks!

I’d say we will see Ten use it for “tent pole” programming. It’s clearly done so people don’t change the channel.
Wouldn’t be surprised if the full screens stick around for quite some time yet though…

1 Like

Ten has updated its logo on the Adelaide Studios.

2 Likes

Good to know, I thought they just superimposed the new logo over the old one on those panels for the news backdrop.

Yep!
The signs on South Yarra building here in Melbourne either half light up or are just completely dead and black. So if they can’t afford to fix the illumination of the signs, I highly doubt they will update it… Sad.

I’m really confused now on what TEN is intending to do with the logo. The promos still has the pre March 2016 logo, the PRG has the new TEN logo while the watermark is now a hybrid of the two.

1 Like

It’s a bit of a mess at the moment. Another thing to mention is the new Classification PRG and the CC symbol is only seen on The People Vs O.J Simpson, while the old one is still used on other shows, and the revised watermark has received its rim back, as well as that fact it doesn’t fit with the current logo. It would of been better to make all the changes coincide with a show, like how Seven refreshed it’s presentation during the end of the Day 1 of the Australian Open.

1 Like

I’m really confused now on what TEN is intending to do with the logo. The promos still has the pre March 2016 logo, the PRG has the new TEN logo while the watermark is now a hybrid of the two.

I think Ten is confused too. They don’t seem too know what their logo is.

With some planning you can actually turn on a new look / logo with a “light switch” so everything changes on one day.

Cable channels run by Foxtel manange to do this perfectly - from say 6am on a Monday every single promo, bug, PRG etc will change.

For some reason Ten (and 9 and 8) have trouble planning this.

2 Likes

I’d say what has happened here is that Ten have some promos in the pipeline much earlier than others. I’d say they prepared those Masterchef ones months ago, before the new logo was announced/released.

They probably didn’t want to wait to finish them or go back and redo them. I’d say Ten is probably stretched to the limits with resources so they can’t just “turn on a new look / logo with a “light switch” so everything changes on one day”.

Even Seven took a week for all their old promos to be updated to the new look, earlier this year.

3 Likes

Likewise with NBN - there were some people upset that old promos still had the NBN logo on them. The networks just won’t go back and edit promos that have already been produced go change logos if they’re only going to be running for a short period.

They don’t need to edit them - simply remove them from the play out system. It’s not hard.

2 Likes

I agree.

In any case, I would’ve thought that it’s easy enough to change a logo in the promos these days. Really, I’m sure that the logo could be changed via a layer in After Effects or whatever software Ten (or indeed, any network) uses to produce the graphics in their promos with.

1 Like

Yeah they could spend the time going through and changing the logo on old promos etc. But it comes down to using staff efficiency … They could spend 5 hours doing that, or actually developing new content - A new package for The Project. New promos for survivor, advertising reels for potential sponsors etc, updating the logo in the news.

Sure flicking a switch would be ideal, but why go back and work on things that would have been created long ago. Seven took their time to roll out their new look.
Times are changing, staffing is being condenced in the industry and little finicky things like that won’t change like they did maybe 5 years ago.

If presentation knows there’s a logo change coming up during the lifetime of an existing promotional campaign, it isn’t hard to just make two versions of the same promo with the only difference being a changed logo. For regional affiliates like WIN, it’s just a matter of placing the logo on a clean promo.

I’ve honestly never seen networks do what you’re saying though. In almost every instance where there’s been a logo change, a network always produces a new version of the promo (of course, that’s because the entire presentation usually gets overhauled too).

Case in point: Nine’s 2006 box launch. Right up until 6am on that Monday, Nine were showing the old seven-colours promos, complete with even a 2004-era signpost and promos for that Monday night’s schedule. At 6am, everything changed to the box in one go, which means that whoever was doing pres at the time went ahead and made two versions of every single promo and signpost (even though one version would only be shown between 12 and 6am).

1 Like

Yeah they could spend the time going through and changing the logo on old promos etc. But it comes down to using staff efficiency … They could spend 5 hours doing that, or actually developing new content - A new package for The Project. New promos for survivor, advertising reels for potential sponsors etc, updating the logo in the news.

As someone who has worked in promos for 15 years I feel I’m qualified to comment.

The people who “master” promos (that is add bugs, logos, tune in information and the CC logo) are not the same people who produce/write/edit the actual promos, nor do advertising reels nor Survivor promos. The people who work in Promo Finishing or Promo Mastering - their sole role is to take all the promos and creative already produced and version it out - that is adding bugs, logos, CC logos and Monday, Tonight, Tomorrow versions of each.

To create a “light switch” effect - that is turn a new look on / and an old look off in an instant on one day - all that needs to happen is promos that have a life both before and beyond the light switch date - need to be “mastered” or “finished” twice - that is the exact same promo would have 2 versions created.

And this does not need to happen to all promos, only ones that are schedule to run both before and after that date. In a 7 day week with Ten promoting it’s 6pm, 630, 730, 830 and 930 shows - plus coming soon promos - you may be looking at mastering 100-150 promos twice. That includes various lengths of :30 second promos down to :10 promos.

Considering a mastering team probably masters around 300 individual promos in a week - you’re looking at a 30-50% increase in workload for that week. That is not insignificant - but it is certainly do-able. I’ve been working at many networks / stations at change over weeks where this happens and it always gets done with the existing staff.

Like any industry - there is a few weeks a year when a promo team is flat out. Changing looks in a week is one of them. But no different to any industry in the world were you have a week or two a year that is crazy. Then back to normal. It’s completely do-able - it just requires planning and management

Two things Ten is not good at. Hence why a week on we are still seeing two logos both on air and online / social media.

To master a promo - it’s laid out on an Avid or Final Cut “timeline” there is a vision layer when you can turn on and turn off certain layers. On one layer Ten would have old logo - on a another layer the new logo. It’s really as simple as the click of a mouse. Then two files and made as a mix down, two promo codes are generated, and promo promo sic scheduled before March 3 - and the other after March 3

It’s that simple. The extra work comes in assigning extra codes and having double amount of files for that week and managing that. But actually taking one Ten logo off and the other on. It’s a click of mouse. Then play it for 30 seconds to quality check it. And you’re done.

7 Likes