Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

where I work the clients aren’t worried at all, we’re over 130+% over budget!

1 Like

Good. Were you or the workplace over budget by the same amount last year?

Despite there being no official plans yet, I wouldn’t be surprised if the playlists of the regional Triple M/Localworks stations did become a little bit more rock skewed. Probably not all the way to a full blown rock station but more along the lines of a bit more AC/DC, a bit less Taylor Swift etc to at least reduce the gap between the formats.

5 Likes

not as much.

There’s a ton of data but I can’t share any because of commercial in confidence stuff but we have shopping, local media etc figures and Aldi in this market and the SCA stations are all over, local paper struggling. TV struggling big time.

What does that mean? Clients or general business activity?

It’s going to be so confusing in places like Gold Coast and Central Coast where you have 2 Triple M,s playing different things. Even Port Macquarie and Coffs as well where you’ll have 2 Triple M’s and 2 HITs (although they have 2 Star FM’s)

1 Like

Dan Anstey, Heather Maltman and retired footy player Ben Hannant are the new breakfast team on Gold FM Gold Coast, the GC Bulletin is reporting.

*** Pardon me, that should be SeaFM

Wow what’s happening with Bridge and Spida. Thought they had a quality show going there.

sorry, SEAFM.

I can’t remember stuff today, I think it’s a Friday thing.

Completely agree. What’s the point of destroying a brand like 4TO or 4GR if they’re not even going to change the format? It’s so very dumb.

As I’ve mentioned before, they don’t use common radio brands in the UK or North America unless they’re the same format. And even then they often keep a local station name like K-Earth or KOST even with multiple stations in the same “network” in the US.

2 Likes

All good mate was about to say QLD radio has gone crazy with the chopping block.

That’s a big move for Ben too, from Townsville to the Gold Coast to go with that career change.

Thought that he wanted to stay on his farm up there, interesting move imo

1 Like

Fridays aren’t my best days - too many reports to write and inventory to check for weekends. So sorry about that.

All good mate was on the GC last week, go between Newcastle and GC all the time listen to Gold FM regularly when I’m up there every 3 weeks.

I would understand the rebranding if they were to come up with a new brand for the network. In Sydney Triple M is pretty much damaged. It’s was a rock station with a lot of heritage factor. The last decade it has become more and more irrelevant. It is bogan and it keeps changing its music direction every six months. It is either playing ads, having a blokey talk or calling the AFL or some other sport.

To hear 30 minutes of good rock is a rarity.

In Sydney Triple M rates a 3.8% on the weekend. And that’s when they are all rock and sport. In Melbourne and Brisbane they are also the lowest rating FM station on the weekend.

Dead set - it’s Triple M that should be renaming itself 4TO or 4GR. And Triple M Melbourne should think about a new name as well. How about EON? As for Brisbane? FM104 has a certain ring to it.

6 Likes

Funny you say that. It appears that earlier this year they were looking to register that name via IP Australia. See TM 1775098 for more info.

So true. The Triple M “brand” is trashed in Sydney and Brisbane particularly. Not sure about Melbourne.
Do they do any market research? Most people actually roll their eyes at the mere mention of Triple M in Brisbane, they really do. It’s like the trouble Holden are having at the moment - once you cheapen and “bogan” it too much it’s very, very difficult to revive a brand and get people to respect it again. They should realise that by rolling the Triple M name out willy nilly to AM stations in the country that really is only making it worse and the end is nigh.

2 Likes

I believe that was related to EON Sports Digital. It was lodged at basically the same time as the announcement.

3 Likes

Triple M is still a very successful brand in Melbourne. It rates well during the week, particularly at breakfast. It also rates very well for there target demographic and therefore is well supported by advertisers.

I believe even in Sydney and Brisbane the target demographics still rate reasonably (as narrow as that may be) and is well supported by advertisers.

2 Likes