Southern Cross Austereo (Regional)

Yes, Christian Argenti remains the host of Talking Back the Night along with contributions from Nathan Bray.

1 Like

I’ve just noticed that the LocalWorks stations (2GO at least) are now doing “Ten in a Row”.

Talking back the night was always good for a laugh! The callers on that program are on par with the whackos on Poppy’s “Straight Talk”

Talking Back the Night was still going at around 12.40 this morning when I tuned in on KO.

At least I now know when to change the channel when working late shift…

I’ve never listened to it, is it a full on talkback show and what topics are on there, I see some comments about it in my time on the forums

I believe that some music is played on Talking Back The Night, but otherwise it’s a fairly typical talkback show from what I’ve heard of it on 2GO in the past.

From what I’ve heard is a reasonably standard talk back show - though probably a bit lighter than the Macquarie shows such as Ray Hadley and Neil Mitchell. It also has music interspersed between segments. Fairly similar to the “Spoonman” on Triple M back in the mid 2000’s.

1 Like

Is it just me or a local works (on greatest hits from 80’s to now) playing too much top 40, I miss the Greatest Hits days where they’d play more of the 70’s & 80’s stuff. I reckon there’s as much new music played as there is 80’s at the moment

1 Like

I’ve made mention of this before and yes I agree. It is why I stopped listening to Mix FM as they just play too many top 40 songs for an adult station.

Wish more SCA stations would flick over to the Classic Hits playlist.

In all of their competitive markets most of their opposition stations sit between the Hit and Localworks stations.

Gold Coast > Hot Tomato / Central Coast > Star FM / Hobart > Newcastle > New FM. All of which (with exception of the latter!) have made huge impact over the last year or two to the Localworks stations in their respective markets.

I think is was a result of that that SCA devised the 3 different (I think there are 3?!) flavors of Localworks.

If they go to old and classic hits, they open up a nice window for the player in the middle to occupy.

Some like it, some don’t. That’s the joys of such a huge network attempting to employ a national strategy.

1 Like

I think you were meant to put 7HO FM in there next to the ‘>’. :slight_smile:

Apparently, KO in Newcastle uses its own “Greatest Hits” log separate from the GC log that is heard on most other “Greatest Hits” stations, including 2GO.

With the above in mind, I think 2GZ in Orange, despite being on FM, should go with the “Classic Hits” log instead of the “Greatest Hits” log. This is due to the fact that there’s no serious commercial competition in the market, as the local commercial AM station (BOG-owned 2EL) is predominantly talk-based instead of music-based.

In the case of Coffs Harbour, 2CS provides a musical point-of-difference to nearby 2MC from Kempsey, in which the former uses the “Greatest Hits” log, whilst the latter uses the “Classic Hits” log. As a result, it gives listeners in the Coffs Harbour area, especially those with a good radio, an additional choice of music formats.

I was told several months ago that 70s no longer exist on commercial radio (except for retiree areas like Port Mac etc) because the audience now has moved on and their core is 80s. I’d love to see in 8-10 years whether there’s stuff all 80s on the radio (GASP!!!) and if that core moves to the 90s.

Oh wait… radio in 10 years.

Yeah… doubtful it will exist.

I still see Triple M play 70’s stuff every now and again. For me I love the 80’s music but the I don’t think much of 90’s music. I can’t see 80’s music being non existent in terms of commercial radio, not for a while yet anyway

An interesting point about why Port Mac is one of the few markets to have a “Classic Hits” format instead of the “Greatest Hits” format on FM, which can be backed up by looking at median age figures from the 2011 Census.

For instance, in the 2MC licence area (Port Mac-Kempsey-Nambucca), the median age is 47 years, whilst the nearby 2CS licence area (Coffs Harbour-Sawtell-Woolgoolga), which has the “Greatest Hits” format, has a median age of 43 years. Up in QLD’s Fraser Coast (Maryborough-Hervey Bay), where Mix FM has a “Classic Hits” format, the median age in the licence area is around 44-45 years.

2MC & Mix FM Fraser Coast are the only FM stations by SCA to have a “Classic Hits” format, whilst the remaining ones (4GR, 2WG, 2RG & 5SE) carrying the format are on AM. FYI, in the markets where SCA has a “Classic Hits” station on the AM band, the median age is quite significantly younger (ie. around 36-40 years) than in the Mid North Coast & Fraser Coast.

it still does on Smooth. #1 FM in Sydney last survey

1 Like

Plus, of the commercial FM stations in Sydney & Melbourne, Smooth plays more 70s (as well as a bit of 60s) than any other.

Although Smooth has definitely started playing way more 80’s - now music than when the format was new.

So basically SCA switched 4GR, 2WG, 2RG & 5SE to the Classic Hits format because these stations are on the AM band.

That’s most likely the reason why, yes. :slight_smile:

1 Like