Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

And The Chase Australia won one day in Brisbane as well. If 7’s Gold Coast news gets some traction, 9 Brisbane could be in trouble.

Interesting… Sven News Melbourne won last week. Big slide with Jennifer Keyte filling in this week.

###Week 27 - Preliminary

Colours indicate change from previous week - green is increase or no change, red is a decrease.

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

So much red! It’s almost as if the election is driving audiences away :thinking:

1 Like

So 7News Brisbane has won 3 out of the last 4 weeks. Building good momentum ahead of the GC News launch on Monday and the Olympics in a month. :slight_smile:

Regional ratings can’t be posted. As a website no agreement exists with the organisation that processes regional figures and they are copyright.

###Week 28 - Preliminary

Colours indicate change from previous week - green is increase or no change, red is a decrease.

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

So that is one half of the survey over.

The potential exists for networks after next week to start claiming their news service has “won the year” based on number of weeks of the 40-week survey won. Potential claims from 9 Sydney, 7 Adelaide and 7 Perth plus I wouldn’t be surprised if Seven claimed a national win based on the traditional 6pm result (even though across the hour that isn’t the case).

Aside: I personally have always disliked the idea of claiming wins based on weeks won as I think that the average audience is the better indicator. One reason being that the official ratings company (owned by the networks) measures everything in terms of audience size e.g. a network wins the week if it has the biggest audience share not because it won the most number of days. Likewise a network wins the night if it has the largest audience not because it won the most timeslots and at the end of the year a network doesn’t claim to have won the year based on weeks won. That sort of logic isn’t going to stop the claims though :grinning:.

4 Likes

It’s virtually all but guaranteed that Seven will win next week (and the year, of course) in Adelaide and Perth, isn’t it?

Sydney might be a little more interesting, but I’d probably still expect Nine to be Sydney’s #1 news for 2016 this time next week. Seven’s best chance for weekly wins in Sydney will probably be that awkward 4-6 week gap between the football and cricket seasons in October/November.

When I express a preference for average audiences as above, I suppose I should post the progressive average audience for the bulletins for the year. So at the 1/2 way mark of the ratings survey :

These are overnight averages - consolidated may be slightly higher (1-2k).

2 Likes

I realise that this is a 7v9 news ratings thread and why it’s done this way, but it would be interesting to have the ABC & Ten’s figures included as well to see how they are fairing week on week if possible.

Also we have ACA, but what are we comparing it to? - might be worth putting the Project 7pm numbers in?

I agree :slight_smile: We should see The Project V Home and Away V ACA as well.

Would be very interesting in each market & week.

NB/ ACA appears to be catching up to Today Tonight in Adelaide…

I would much rather stick to a straight comparison of 2 news bulletins that are both shown at 6pm and vie for the title of number one news in each market plus nationally. I don’t think that adding other programs whether it is Family Feud or ABC News gives any extra insight into that discussion. The ratings for all the other shows suggested are already ranked and listed each week including for each market under the weekly ratings topic.

1 Like

A now for a somewhat different view of the news - the weekend results (averages for first 20 weeks).

3 Likes

Just saw an updated Seven News Rio promo and it concluded with the end tag: Australia’s number one. Seems they’ve already declared themselves the winner now

2 Likes

###Week 29 - Preliminary

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

…and with that, Seven News Adelaide/Perth and Nine News Sydney have won the 2016 ratings year!

The attention now turns to Melbourne, will Nine News win the year in that city next week?

And the way 7News Brisbane is going, they may claim No 1 by year’s end!
The Chase won the week over Hot Seat in Brissie-is that the first time?

2 Likes

I think Seven will be very happy taking back Brisbane, and making gains in Melbourne.

1 Like

Well, Seven News were able to win 1 week in Melbourne (both 6pm & overall).

Melbourne also had the most increases across the week (all but ACA) & most viewers (individual + cumulative).

NB/
Seven News will also be happy they’ve seen gradual small increases in Melbourne & Sydney over the past year, whilst Nine News has seen small declines over the past year…

1 Like

###Week 30 - Final

Weeks won - Ratings

Weeks won - Year

Significant drop for ACA this week as The Project posts its biggest 7pm audience of the year.

1 Like