Seven HD

The AFL does rate well in Perth, but it’s on 7mate over there primarily because of the time difference (eg, Friday night matches starting in the late afternoon).

3 Likes

I only ever watch 7HD*, 9HD & TEN HD now.

• = but yes, in the Melbourne market it’s a simulcast of the main channel.
1 Like

It should be a fulltime simulcast of the main channel in every market.

8 Likes

I feel like we have just repeated the same thing in both hd threads. I don’t remember seeing anyone this upset when ten launched the one hd sports channel bake in 2009.

I agree 7HD should be a simldast of seven for all states, clearly Seven and the AFL have decided otherwise.

Lay down and eat it :stuck_out_tongue::pig: because I don’t think the will change anytime soon, as much as I think it’s a shitty system".

I can see seven laughing their heads off in their offices right about now. :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

‘You will watch what we provide, you will enjoy it!’ And the ratings say most people do. :frowning:

2 Likes

7 - Gotta Love it Because we Force You To!

3 Likes

I know a great slogan for Seven:
Love it or else

2 Likes

Nobody’s television is stuck on Seven. You can use your remote, you know. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yeah true, but the networks were complaining to the pollies when people downloaded from the Internet HD versions of the programmes they broadcast.

I don’t think they were that specific. They were whinging about any versions of programs they broadcast being downloaded. Not that recently introduced restrictions have made any difference to those people who really want to download.

No of course they weren’t specific; rather than provide a good service they want people to be forced to watch their channel or not be able to see the content, but of course they wouldn’t let it pass if someone says the reason was because the programme isn’t available in HD.
Recent metadata tracking has made it more difficult to get away with casual downloading, but as the appearance of Netflix, etc. has shown, make it easy and not prohibitively expensive to legally get content and people will use the legal means.
Are the 7 streams & +7 in HD yet?

I’m pretty sure that Seven’s streaming is only at 504p in it’s highest quality, although it does look slightly better than the SD quality on terrestrial TV to my eyes…

3 Likes

Not just you mate. The Plus 7 streams look considerably better than Prime’s SD terrestrial streams.

5 Likes

I don’t think the resolution of 7’s shows on Plus 7 is even SD ??? It looks like some cross between SD and HD . Several months earlier looked like a oil painting . Maybe Seven wants us to watch on the tv not on the internet.

I don’t know why we have such a difference with 9Now being nice HD and Plus 7 not being . Why is 9 the only network providing HD for their catchup shows ?

Assuming Seven has a lot of older people watching they probably are just happy the tv picture isn’t breaking up and don’t care for HD. My parents are in their 60’s and don’t notice really care . Heck, they were watching the tv even when the picture was breaking up when the aerial needed replacing , and put up with it until I said something.

1 Like

Seven News Sydney is a Picasso? :thinking:

1 Like

I meant the Plus 7 streams looked worse maybe 12 months ago I can’t recall the exact date but sometime last year the picture quality improved somewhat like they upped the resolution. Or maybe I’m just seeing things ? lol.

2 Likes

PLUS7 runs multiple qualities depending on your internet connection, and it is able to switch between them as your internet speed changes while you are watching.

Since the networks using an external provider for their streaming services, the technology is always being upgraded and settings tweaked, so over time they are able to increase the quality of their streams using the same bitrate, and as internet speeds get better you are more likely to be able view higher quality versions of those streams for longer.

3 Likes

As far as I can tell, Seven still simulcasted main channel programing here in Sydney tonight with the AFLW game only airing on 7mate in fairly dodgy quality SD.

With that and the terrestrial TV EPG the way it is at the moment, I’m now quietly confident (but at the same time, I’m still not holding my breath) that Seven might just leave their ridiculous two tier system for HD broadcasting in 2016.

4 Likes

Well one can only hope so.

1 Like

Hope it stays this way. The two tier broadcasting is stupid and pointless

2 Likes