Seven HD

I sympathise with Seven somewhat, because of the complex agreement they have with the AFL. Somewhat.

Compared to Nine, who broadcast Thursday night, Friday night and Sunday afternoon NRL to every market (either on the main channel or 9Gem), Seven run different games in each state. But then again, you have the technology - use it.

4 Likes

If it is scenario 1 (breakaway programming) I think that in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth 7Mate will carry non-AFL programming when the AFL is on 7HD.

Am I correct in saying that the evidence that people are using to say it is scenario 2 is the broadcast EPG and on-line TV guides? In Brisbane for example the broadcast EPG of 7HD has 7Mate programming up until next Tuesday. What does the Melbourne/Adelaide 7HD EPG show?

I think there is a problem with breakaway programming. For example, in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth this Friday, the main channel has the movie Oz - The Great & Powerful from 8.30pm to 11.15pm local time, while the AFL will air from 7.30pm to 11pm AEST (but will probably finish late to cover press conferences). When the AFL finishes in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth, what should be shown to fill in the gap until the next scheduled program?

3 Likes

What an absolute mess. Why even bother launching these HD services if they couldn’t get 7HD off the ground nationally to begin with? Breakaway for AFL, it can’t be that hard. Five nights a week of premium 7 content relegated to SD because they’d rather simulcast a multi-channel than perform ghastly breakaways?

To top it off, the only market that has been simulcasting 7 in HD for the past few months (via IPTV) doesn’t get 7HD.

4 Likes

Filling 15 mins or an hour of programming for a particular market isn’t something new. Breakaway programming isn’t a mystery to broadcasters.

3 Likes

“Seven Presents”?

2 Likes

Yeah, surely Seven could always put on a few filler segments (like “Today’s Entertainment” or the best bits from Sunrise, The Morning Show or The Daily Edition) or something to fill time between switching back from breakaway programing to the simulcast of Seven’s main channel?

2 Likes

That’s what I would think, and the logical option. I think until we hear something directly from Seven, anything else is speculation based on one or two media reports, one of which refers to Seven boss “Time Worner”

6 Likes

can someone say my favourite word, please???

CLUSTERFUCK.

EPIC.

7 Likes

Here’s another source from yesterday, Abesty broke the news to us this morning, so I trust it:

Source: Austech Forum

2 Likes

Is channel,70 in Sydney in MPEG 2 or MPEG 4 format?

MPEG4, of course.

This is what the PRG for 7HD currently looks like… I hope there will be a HD watermark soon.

3 Likes

Did they forget that they had 7HD Breakways?

4 Likes

If the latter bit of that claim is correct, the main channel will be in HD by the time the Olympics begin in all states. From now until then, we don’t really know how this will play out and everything we’ve been discussing and (in part) over-exaggerating criticism about is just somewhat speculation.

3 Likes

I hope you’re right!

1 Like

Pfft, that’s nothing. Try living in Ayr near Townsville! I’m about to board up my windows and make some molotovs to get me through the night.

5 Likes

I’m not saying criticism about the ‘two-tier’ system is an overreaction - it’s a perfectly valid and reasonable point to complain about.

It’s not about me being right but simply guessing based on the wording used by the poster on the forum WAtvVideos linked to

1 Like