Seven AFL Coverage

Seven’s Footy graphics look so aged in Fox Footy SD. Desperate need of a refresh IMO.

Isn’t he contracted to Ten anymore?

Probably just for Big Bash.

Must not be an exclusive contract… he’s also been hosting Friday Front Bar which is on Seven as well.

3 Likes

Andrew Maher, Sam Lane and Lawrence Mooney hosted tonight’s pregame show.
Western Bulldogs captain Katie Brennan will provide special comments for the match between Collingwood and Melbourne.

1 Like

I actually like how Andy Maher is freelance.

Him and Sam Lane together brought back memories of Before the Game on Ch 10… Anyone remember :grin:

1 Like

WA viewers had the chance of seeing Fremantle v Brisbane Women’s game live on 7mate. That match was simulcasted with Fox Footy. However, QLD viewers didn’t have the chance of seeing that game via FTA.

Bulldogs-Demons AFLW rivalry set to fire

Saturday 7pm AEDT

After playing against each other in exhibition matches over the last two years, the Western Bulldogs and Melbourne now play for AFLW premiership points.

The Bulldogs and Demons have both won one game each in the 2017 season, landing them fourth and fifth on the ladder respectively in their quest to play in the inaugural 2017 AFLW Grand Final.

After their first-up win against the Dockers, the Bulldogs lost last weekend to the Crows, with their kicking accuracy letting them down as they managed two goals and 11 behinds. Kristen McLeod was the leading scorer in the game for the Bulldogs with 1.4.

Karen Paxman from Melbourne has been a standout player in both rounds, having the most disposals in round 1 and the most for her team in round 2. Last week, Catherine Phillips was the leading goal kicker, helping the Demons cross the finish line for their first win.

Jason Bennett and Nigel Carmody will call the match with Peta Searle in expert commentary. Sam Lane will take up field commentary continuing to bring stories and insights from the coaches and players.

Seven will broadcast the AFLW Grand Final live and exclusive on Saturday March 25, the first weekend of the men’s competition.

Seven is the leading free-to-air sports broadcaster in Australia and will broadcast live coverage every Saturday night during the AFL women’s season throughout 2017, having been the first broadcaster to air women’s AFL back in 2015.

Broadcast times:
Saturday February 18
Sydney 7pm LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 7pm LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 6pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate, 7pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 4pm LIVE on 7mate

1 Like

The Herald Sun reports today that the AFL will decide in its March commission meeting on this year’s Grand Final - day or twilight :rugby_football:

Outgoing Chairman Mike Fitzpatrick said last week in the presser “I’m probably at about 3 o’clock now, I’ve moved from 2:30, I obviously won’t make the final decision on this…”. He has long been for a the day game.

While CEO Gillon McLachlan said last year “it’s inevitable”.

The Seven Network have heavily been pushing for it for years.

McLachlan told GOLD 104.3 yesterday “it’s a chance… Probably not 50-50… 25-75 or something”.

Thoughts?

IMO, there’s no need, it’s a day tradition. It continues to pull in the biggest TV audiences annually :slight_smile: Why don’t Seven see it like this? What more would it give Seven?

Primetime ratings?

I think it needs to happen. The tradition has already been broken. It used to be the last Saturday of September and that has turned into the first Saturday of September. Stuff the tradition and get with the times. That is how the world moves forward.

Yeah. For better or worse, I think the AFL Grand Final probably will be played at night in the future.

Whether or not I think the general public would approve of such a major change in tradition is a completely different story however.

Yes the AFL Grand Final has been moved around a couple of times due to other sporting events. The 2000 decider was played on the first Saturday of September because of the Sydney Olympics. The 2015 GF was played on October 3 due to the Cricket World Cup pushing back the season.
I reckon this year’s GF may start at 3.30pm Melbourne time, thus part of the final quarter and post-match presentations will fall into primetime ratings.

2 Likes

From memory a couple of Grand Finals started at 3pm in the late 90s.

Having it during the afternoon still gives a huge lead-in and win to prime-time, including the biggest news ratings of the year (e.g.) Seven News Melbourne after the GF last year was the biggest bulletin in the country for 2016 - more than 800k.

The first October GF I can remember was 2011 on Ch 10?

I remember all the media discussing the break of tradition at the time & the change in lyrics to Mike Brady’s famous song. Not one of former CEO Andrew Demetriou’s best moments.

There was one the previous year. The Grand Final replay.

1 Like

1990 was also in October after a drawn qualifying final resulted in a replay the following week. The replay rule was changed for the following season with the exception of the Grand Final which only changed last season.

1 Like

It should be on a Sunday night, then it would get the best possible audience.

…and possibly clash with the NRL Grand Final?

We all know it would be in the best interests of both parties for that not to happen, because I’m sure many casual viewers watch the Grand Finals of both football codes every year even if they don’t follow it much during the season.

5 Likes

Ah yes, true, but it was still the ‘replay’.

Thank God they got rid of that, much to the dismay of traditionalists.

More to the dismay of Ch 7 :wink:

So you think it would get a larger audience, than it always does get on a Saturday afternoon?