Seven AFL Coverage

I always thought that Ten’s calls back in the day were better than Nine’s-expect for Eddie McGuire and Dennis Cometti on FNF. Personally, i rated Eddie, Quarters, and Dennis as the best TV game callers in the 2002-2005 era(before McGuire became Nine CEO). Tim Lane and Anthony Hudson replaced Eddie on my list in 06 and i’ve always liked those two on radio or TV

Massive week for Seven…

They’re obsessed with their 2010 AFL Grand Final broadcast, replaying it countless times every year :unamused:

Great to see a post game show again on 7Mate.

Looks like Dennis Cometti (first time in a very long time) will be hosting the telecast, not Bruce (being his last ever call)?

1 Like

Although I think Eddie has done great things for AFL, I just couldn’t stand him commentating and still can’t. His bias is so evident in his call especially against sides outside Victoria. He is too good of a supporter to be a commentator. That is why I couldn’t be a commentator. I have a team I want to win and a team I want to lose.

1 Like

Hasn’t the marathon always been a broadcast of past Grand Finals?

Have to agree. But Tim Lane doesn’t show too much of that on 3AW, even if the Blues are playing.

1 Like

No, IIRC in the 1990s Seven also showed some classic home and away matches, and some finals, during the grand final eve marathon.

Maybe instead of Grand Finals they could broadcast some of the best finals games of the past?

I would love Tim Lane (another doyen) to join Bruce McAvaney.

But Tim’s too old as well & will retire witin a couple of yeats.

###This Weekend in AFL on Seven: Finals

It’s the minor premiers Sydney facing off against second-placed Geelong in what promises to be a nail-biting, combative Preliminary Final on Seven’s Friday Night Football. In the pre-game build-up, we talk to Geelong coach Chris Scott and throughout the night, four-time premiership coach Leigh Matthews will analyse all the action.

Fresh from inspiring victories against the reigning premier Hawthorn, as well as the Eagles on the road, the Bulldogs trek to Sydney to face the Giants on Saturday Night Footy. We talk with Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge and Giants coach Leon Cameron before the match, as both aim to coach their first ever AFL Grand Final.

It’s also a bumper Sunday of state Grand Finals on Seven as the Casey Scorpions battle Footscray in the VFL, the Eagles take on Sturt in the SANFL, and Subiaco face Peel Thunder in the WAFL.

TV Broadcast times:
Friday September 23
Geelong Cats v Sydney Swans (MCG) Preliminary Final
Melbourne 7pm LIVE on 7mate, 7.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Adelaide 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate, 7pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 5pm LIVE on 7mate
Sydney 7pm LIVE on 7mate
Brisbane 7pm LIVE on 7mate

Saturday September 24
GWS Giants v Western Bulldogs (Spotless Stadium) Preliminary Final
Melbourne 4pm LIVE on Channel 7
Adelaide 3.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 2pm LIVE on Channel 7
Sydney 4pm LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 4pm LIVE on 7mate

Sunday September 25
AFL Game Day
Hosted by Hamish McLachlan with Leigh Matthews and Rory Sloane and Brad Sewell
Melbourne | Adelaide | Perth 10am on Channel 7
Sydney | Brisbane 10am on 7mate

VFL Grand Final: Casey Scorpions v Footscray Bulldogs
Melbourne 2pm LIVE on Channel 7

SANFL Grand Final: Eagles v Sturt
Adelaide 2pm LIVE on Channel 7

WAFL Grand Final: Subiaco v Peel Thunder
Perth 2pm LIVE on Channel 7

AFL documentary special: THE FINAL DRAW
Melbourne 10pm on Channel 7
Adelaide 10pm on Channel 7
Perth 10pm on Channel 7

Monday September 26
Talking Footy
Hosted by Luke Darcy with Tim Watson and Wayne Carey
Melbourne 7.30pm on 7mate
Adelaide 7.30pm on 7mate
Perth 7.30pm on 7mate
Sydney Late night on 7mate
Brisbane Late night on 7mate

Brownlow Medal including Red Carpet
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Adelaide 7pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 5.30pm – 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate, 6.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Brisbane 7.30pm LIVE on 7mate

Tonight is the first time the “third eye” (mini camera attached on the cap of goal umpire) is used in Seven’s telecast. The technology is a common feature of Fox Footy’s AFL coverage.

Nice touch at the end of the game when Brice presented dennis with the award best tv caller for the 11th time.Awesome stuff

1 Like

Wow the Grand Final Marathon has been bumped to 7Mate this year.

Didn’t realise Seven only broadcasted last night’s prelim in Sydney on 7Mate?

It led to a 7% share for 7Mate.

However meant numbers were no where near as high as they could have been (103k, could’ve got 200k+) with their amazing win.

If they got 103k on 7mate Sydney for the Swans game, that’s not too bad. Particularly when you also consider the NRL final between Sharks and Cowboys was on Nine at the same time.

4 Likes

Great game between GWS and the Bulldogs!!

5 Likes

Once again the Channel 7 network are in hot water, because they cut to the news
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/footy-fans-angered-over-channel-7-celebration-snub-of-the-western-bulldogs-preliminary-final-win/news-story/1b5b77749b762734509b2c490d33f127

2 Likes

" Channel 7 " has been trending on twitter for most of the night :confused:

Goes without saying, but Seven you are so pathetic! They couldn’t delay the news for bit? Or at least they could’ve switched it over to 7mate. :-1:

1 Like

In Sydney, they showed the bulldogs song then cut to news around 8.05pm. Seems fine to me (assuming they did the same in Melbourne?)

Same here in Melbourne. That was the least Seven could do. The match telecast was scheduled to finish at 8pm AEST which meant Seven was never going to show post match analysis and press conferences.

1 Like