Olympics Coverage - History

7 doesn’t have the technical capability to show the main channel in MPEG-4HD yet all the time or do they ?

Yeah, they do.
As I said, they already show it in MPEG4 HD in the Melbourne and Adelaide markets.
They choose not to show the main channel in HD in other areas, so they can show the AFL in HD everywhere

3 Likes

Subscription TV industry body ASTRA criticising the Seven Pay TV app for the Olympics

Seven’s Olympics app proves ‘absurdity’ of anti-siphoning rule

“This development proves the absurdity of a rule that bans subscription TV from buying the Olympics but allows so-called free-to-air networks to charge Australians to watch,” Mr Maiden told The Australian.

“It is only a matter of time before Seven and then Nine extend this paid service to other sports.

“How can you justify a rule that bans one form of paid subscription but permits all others?”

2 Likes

What ? So Melbourne and Adelaide are the only places in Australia that get the main channel in HD ? Why is that ?

I’m not sure I understand this bit. Can’t they show AFL in HD everywhere by having it on the main channel ?

Regional Qld is owned and operated ? So if/when they change the main channel to HD we should get it ?

I wonder if 7 is actually upgrading any equipment to prepare for any changeovers ?

Seven obtained pay TV rights for the Rio Olympics so it is legal for the network to charge viewers to watch extra events which otherwise will not be shown on TV. Also ASTRA forgot that people had to subscribe to Foxtel or Austar in order to watch Vancouver and London Olympics events, meaning getting channels viewers did not otherwise want to see.

1 Like

Whingers.

ASTRA can go and bugger off.

3 Likes

Yep I agree. Online steaming all the way.

2 Likes

But I don’t think the apps would fall under pay TV rights. The apps would fall under online rights or IPTV.

Pay TV rights will essentially be ‘hoarded’ by Seven. It’s pretty unfair IMO.

Because 7 is broadcasting their AFL channel in HD in all markets.
In Melbourne and Adelaide, the main channel is the channel that broadcasts the AFL, so it gets to be HD.
In other markets (including Regional QLD), AFL is broadcast on 7mate, so 7mate is broadcast in HD.

[quote]I’m not sure I understand this bit. Can’t they show AFL in HD everywhere by having it on the main channel ?

Regional Qld is owned and operated ? So if/when they change the main channel to HD we should get it ?

I wonder if 7 is actually upgrading any equipment to prepare for any changeovers ?
[/quote]
7 could put the AFL on the main channel if they really wanted to, but they’ve chosen not to in non-AFL states.

We already gets 7’s Queensland HD channel in Regional QLD.
7 broadcasts 7mate in HD in Sydney and Brisbane because that is the channel that they show AFL on.
Consequently, 7mate is also broadcast in HD in Regional QLD still, most likely because it’s also the channel the AFL is on here.

So unless 7 decide at some point to change the main channel to HD in Sydney and Brisbane, nothing will change in Regional QLD either.

1 Like

For the London games people had to subscribe to the basic and sports package in order to watch the Games in full

Same will apply to the Euros which start on Saturday. Charging $20-$25 one off fee is OK for me. With events starting at 11pm and finishing at 9am Perth time, this will be the perfect way to watch the Olympics.

I stand to be corrected but since there’s a FTA broadcaster who has the Olympic rights (Seven), there’s nothing stopping Foxtel from approaching Seven to see whether they would be interested in doing a sub-licencing deal to enable them to air some of the Olympics. If Seven declines such an offer, they’re perfectly entitled to do being the rights-holders.

It’s a bit rich for ASTRA to complain that Foxtel can’t bid for Olympic rights when they teamed-up with Nine to bid for and show the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics & 2012 London Summer Olympics. It’s also weird they’re complaining about making people pay to stream sport shown by FTA networks when that’s exactly the situation people currently face if they want to watch AFL & NRL through the official streaming services (which also includes the games Fox Sports shows).

4 Likes

A privilege they paid a lot of money for by being the highest bidder. I think 7 seem to be doing a pretty good job. Big events on TV but hardcore Olympic fans can pay whatever fee for extra and 7 gets all profits (which when we talk about Olympic rights is not much anyway).

2 Likes

What channel will the Olympics be shown on in Perth?

I presume that Seven, 7TWO and 7mate will all have Olympics coverage if their current watermarks with the Olympic rings (something that newer arrival 7Flix doesn’t have) are anything to go by.

Coverage in HD? Well, that’s something still yet to be properly confirmed…

4 Likes

Without going off topic too much, what was 7 HD like in terms of HD content when it existed many years ago ?

1 Like

There was that unfortunate period where 7HD was in 576p, so nothing was in HD. Once it went 1080i there was a reasonable amount. 2008 Beijing Olympics was in HD.

5 Likes

According to The Australian, Seven’s coverage will be produced in Sydney then delivered over the air out of Melbourne, and the network will send 100 people to Rio de Janeiro to cover the Games.

5 Likes

I heard there will be a paid app available for watching the Olympics. Maybe they will try and charge people for watching it in HD instead of launching their main channel Olympics in HD ? I mean, it sounds like something that would never happen but you never know…

The streaming subscription will allow users to watch the coverage in SD or HD (slide 24)

So the Olympics games will be in SD on the main channel ?

1 Like