Nowhere Boys

###Nowhere Boys: The Book of Shadows

Feature length premiere Sunday 6 March at 6:30pm

A year on from having crossed dimensions, discovered magic, and battled the Restoring Demon in their own backyards, the Nowhere Boys – Felix, Andy, Jake and Sam – are back home in Bremin and are struggling with everyday teenage life. Felix has high hopes for the four heroes. He wants them to push the limits of their magical ability, working as a team to become masters of the arcane. But although he’s unwilling to admit it, the boys have grown apart.

The boys, once in perfect magical and elemental alignment, are a tangle of rivalry and distrust. On the verge of separating, the Nowhere Boys are drawn together for one last spell when Felix discovers a magically sealed ‘Book of Shadows’. Unwittingly this releases a powerful force of chaos, and the gang is reluctantly drawn into a showdown that threatens their world and all they love…

This is the feature length film that premiered in cinemas on 1 January. Probably wasted being shown on ABC3 though.

The Nowhere Boys has received a 4th International Emmy Kids Award

6 Winners Span 5 Countries: Australia, Japan, Norway, The Netherlands & The United Kingdom

The International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences announced tonight the winners of the 4th International Emmy® Kids Awards which took place for the first time at MIPTV, in Cannes, in partnership with Reed MIDEM.

Winning programs from Australia, Japan, Norway, The Netherlands and the United Kingdom are: Nowhere Boys Series 2 (Kids: Series); Ronja, The Robber’s Daughter (Kids: Animation); Best i Mest (All-Round Champion) (Kids: Non-Scripted Entertainment); Rabarber (Rhubarb) (Kids: TV Movie/Mini-Series ); My Life: I Am Leo (Kids: Factual) and Bing (Kids: Pre-School). Complete winners’ information follows this release.

1 Like

Media release from ABC:

Nowhere Boys collects International Emmy Award

ABC3 and Matchbox Pictures hit series for teens, Nowhere Boys, has been recognised at the 4th International Emmy Kids Awards

ABC TV Director of Television, Richard Finlayson congratulates the teams behind ABC3’s Nowhere Boys: Series 2 on winning the International Emmy Kids Award for a Series, announced at MIPTV in Cannes overnight.

Nowhere Boys joined winners from Japan, Norway, The Netherlands and the UK at these prominent industry awards, which recognise and showcase the world’s best children’s television.

“Nowhere Boys sets a new benchmark for exciting, bold and contemporary storytelling, and demonstrates our older children’s strategy at work. It’s an engaging and unique Australian program with strong international sales appeal, and is enjoyed by kids, teens and grown-ups alike,” said Finlayson.

“We are proud to be working in collaboration with Matchbox Pictures on this returning series, and our congratulations go to them and ABC Children’s team on winning this prestigious award.”

The series has already been recognised with multiple awards, including the Logie Award for Most Outstanding Children’s Program (2014 & 2015), and the Screen Producers Australia Award for Best Children’s Television Production (2014 & 2015). Earlier this year, Nowhere Boys was awarded as the Best Non-Animated or Mixed Series in the Tweens/Teens category at Kidscreen in Miami, and the Banff World Media Festival Rockie Award for Youth Fiction.

Nowhere Boys: Series 2 is produced by Matchbox Pictures for the ABC with the assistance of Film Victoria. Created and executive produced by Tony Ayres, produced by Beth Frey and executive produced by Michael McMahon.

Nowhere Boys: Series 3 will soon go into production and will screen later this year on ABC3 and iview.

NOWHERE BOYS - SERIES 3

Filming for the new season of the International Emmy® Award winning ABC3 action-adventure series, Nowhere Boys began in Melbourne this week.

Back in the fictional town of Bremin, the series picks up a few years after the epic battle in which the original Nowhere Boys sacrificed their powers to restore order.

At Bremin High, we introduce a new group of Nowhere Boys; 16 year old Wiradjuri boy Kamil Ellis (My Place, Bushwhacked!) is joined by our first ‘Nowhere Girl’ Luca Sardelis (Barracuda, Sam Fox: Extreme Adventures), winner of Melbourne International Comedy Festival’s Class Clowns, William McKenna, musical theatre aficionado Jordie Race-Coldrey, and theatre performer Joe Klocek (Barracuda).

Nowhere Boys: Two Moons Rising premieres this November on ABC ME

This November we return to Bremin to meet a whole new group of Nowhere Boys (including our first Nowhere Girl!) when Nowhere Boys: Two Moons Rising premieres on ABC ME. Series three of the Emmy Award winning show returns with a double episode on Friday, 11 November at 6:00pm, with new episodes dropping on Fridays at 6:20pm following its debut.

Why are they picking such horrible timeslots for their first run Australian scripted series on this channel?

It doesn’t seem like it would find its widest possible audience on Fridays at 6.20pm. Why do they constantly slot these shows against Neighbours when a lot of the potential audience would like to watch both?

This really seems like it should have a 7.30 timeslot.

That would make more sense although I don’t know which is their highest rating timeslot of the day. And surely Monday or Tuesday would attract more viewers than a Friday night.

Some programs like Home & Away have dropped Friday episodes because they had been rating so badly.

Usually 7pm and 7.30pm are the top time prime slots.

1 Like

The next episode is now scheduled for Monday at 7.30pm. What? Is someone from ABC programming reading our comments here??? :grinning: Great news.

No that’s just a repeat of the Friday befores episode. New episodes are still Fridays at 6:20pm.

OK Thanks. That’s odd.The repeat gets the prime slot.

Nowhere Boys - Season 4

CAMERAS ROLL ON NOWHERE BOYS SEASON FOUR

Production is underway on the fourth season of the Emmy® award-winning series Nowhere Boys.

Currently filming in and around Melbourne, the 13 x 30 min supernatural action, adventure series will premiere later this year on ABC ME and the ABC ME app.

This year, the gang return from a summer of magical training more powerful than ever – and with a new member. But the New Year brings new threats, when a series of elemental attacks hit Bremin. The gang fear their powers are the cause of the trouble as dark, chaotic forces descend, challenging the gang’s unity as they battle to save the entire multiverse.

The Nowhere Boys must balance their personal lives with their magical obligations. Growing up is hard enough without having to rescue the multiverse as well, as the gang search for their place in the world. What will they sacrifice for each other?

Returning cast Kamil Ellis (Luke), Joe Klocek (Heath), William McKenna (Ben), Jordie Race-Coldrey (Jesse), and Luca Sardelis (Nicco) are joined this season by musician Joel Ma (aka Joelistics) in his TV debut as Zeb and Elaine Crombie (Top Of The Lake, Black Comedy) as Brianna. This season also sees a special return from one of the original Nowhere Boys. But, you’ll just have to wait to see who might be back in Bremin…

Behind the camera, Nick Verso (Boys in the Trees, Grace Beside Me) and Sian Davies (Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries, House Husbands) return to direct, alongside Catriona McKenzie (Harrow, The Warriors) and Goran Stolevski, whose short film Would You Look at Her just won in competition at Sundance Film Festival 2018, will make his TV directorial debut. The Nowhere Boys story has been crafted by some of Australia’s top writers – many of whom are returning to the world of Nowhere Boys again – including David Hannam, Jessica Brookman, Marieke Hardy, Beth King and Craig Irvin.

Michael Carrington, Head of ABC Children’s Television, said: “Nowhere Boys has been a huge hit with the ABC ME audience since its premiere in 2012 and we’re thrilled to be working with Matchbox Pictures again to offer fans another instalment of this outstanding action-packed series. The announcement of one of the original Nowhere Boys returning for this series will add to fans excitement and anticipation.”

Series Producer, Beth Frey, said: “We are so thrilled to get the Nowhere Boys back together and start filming in locations across Melbourne. This season the stakes are higher than ever - more mystery, action, fun, adventure with loads of stunts and special effects. I really think the fans will love the direction as we push deeper into the mythology and origins of magic in Bremin.”

Since launching in 2012 Nowhere Boys has proven to be a critical and commercial hit, both in Australia and internationally. The show has won 18 International Awards with a further 23 nominations including winning an International Emmy® Award, two TV Week Logie Awards, an AACTA Award, three Kidscreen Awards and two BAFTA Nominations amongst others. The show has now been sold into 180 territories worldwide and launched international careers for the young cast.

Screen Australia Investment Manager, Shana Levine, said: “We’re thrilled to again support the production of Nowhere Boys, which has become one of Australia’s most beloved children’s titles. It’s imperative that Australians can hear their own voices and see their own stories on screen, no matter what age they are, and we congratulate the ABC in not only commissioning season four but making the series available on multiple devices to meet the demands of this teenage audience.”

Film Victoria CEO, Caroline Pitcher, said: “We’re delighted to support the return of Nowhere Boys, a firm favourite with Australian audiences that has showcased locally-made young adult content to the world. Not only will the Melbourne-made production deliver a significant boost to the state’s economy, providing employment for more than 300 Victorians, it includes important skills development opportunities for four early-mid career practitioners, via Film Victoria’s Placement and Attachment programs.”

Production credits: Produced by Matchbox Pictures; Producer Beth Frey, Executive Producers Tony Ayres and Michael McMahon. Major investment from the ABC, Screen Australia and state investment from Film Victoria. ABC are distributing in Australia and New Zealand while NBCUniversal International Distribution will distribute the series in all other territories.

Nowhere Boys: Battle for Negative Space

From Monday 3 December at 5:00pm on image
Airs daily (Mon-Sun) 13 episodes

The Nowhere Boys are back and Luke’s attempts to convince the Gang that a new threat is imminent are dismissed – until the threat proves too big to ignore.

2 Likes

Surely they have to be somewhere

1 Like

At the BAFTA Awards.

ABC ME’s Nowhere Boys wins big at the BAFTA Awards

ABC ME series Nowhere Boys: Two Moons Rising has bagged a British Academy Children’s Award celebrating the world’s best programs for young audiences.

The third series of the teen drama was named the winner of the 2018 BAFTA Award for International Live Action at a ceremony in London on 25 November, ahead of programs from the Disney Channel, Nickelodeon and CBBC.

It was the second BAFTA Award nomination for the sci-fi program, the third series of which follows a group of teenagers who find themselves trapped in a totally empty world. In 2016, the program also won the International Emmy Kids Award for a Series.

Nowhere Boys is a Matchbox Pictures production for the ABC, with the support of Screen Australia and Film Victoria. The fourth and final series will be broadcast on ABC ME from next Monday, 3 December.

ABC Children’s Head Libbie Doherty said: “Congratulations to the team behind Nowhere Boys for bringing complex and gripping Australian teen drama to the world stage.

Nowhere Boys has a loyal and dedicated audience following around the world and has launched the careers of a number of hugely-talented Australian actors. We are proud to work with Matchbox Pictures on this enduring children’s franchise that continutes to win awards on the international stage.”

ABC ME received three nominations for the 2018 BAFTA Awards, with underwater adventure The Deep in the running for International Animation Award and enhanced acquisition So Awkward nominated for Best Comedy program.

The BAFTA Award for Nowhere Boys follows a golden run of recognition for ABC Children’s programs. In October, the short film First Day won the inaugural prize for outstanding children’s programming across all genres at the MIPCOM Diversify TV Excellence Awards, while Mustangs FC and Secret Life of Boys each received International Emmy Kids Awards nominations.