Nine Sports Broadcasting

Mike Hussey & Brett Lee have departed Channel 9.
9 are also in discussions with Kevin Pietersen and Waqar Younis.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/cricket/former-test-players-brett-lee-and-mike-hussey-have-left-channel-nines-cricket-coverage-on-eve-of-the-summer/news-story/b08e748225d06ae01655756c03e36f4c

Here’s the link.

The ones they are going for make for an interesting summer in the box. Also is this a push by cricket Australia too?

I think it is a push by cricket Australia. I didn’t mind Hussey as a commentator. Lee was only there because his best mate was the head of cricket at 9 who is no more. 9 is renowned for not having outsiders in the cricket box, only Australians. Pieterson is a great analyst, despite the fact I detest him on the cricket pitch haha. I do get strong Tony Grieg vibes from him, a South African that captained England to then join the 9 commentry team. He did commentate a couple of one dayers for 9 last year. It will be interesting as he does play Big Bash here on top of big bash commentating for ch10. Obviously nothing confirmed, but as a one eyed Australian supporter, even I think 9 needs some outsiders in the box.

1 Like

KP did do an ODI last summer IIRC for 9 vs India at the WACA.

1 Like

The departure of hussey and Lee does nothing to address the fuckwits like brayshaw, Taylor, Healey and slater.

2 Likes

True - but this was absolutely the first step. Very happy. Thought they were part of Nine’s “next gen” that were going to be around for years.

To have added Healy, Slater this year may have been too far (in then claiming no-one was pushed, lol) - hopefully they’re gone next summer.

Hopefully whoever they bring in doesn’t succumb to the numbing effects of the Channel 9 commentary box. Slats was actually pretty decent IMHO when he was on the ABC, but within a year at Nine, he had reverted to the station’s very low mean.

I thought 9 commentary was at its best when overseas commentators joined the crew in summer. Channel Ten are smarter in having Legends like Viv Richards and co. Good to see 9 making changes.

1 Like

Both would be great. Definitely something that needs to return to be coverage.

1 Like

To all the Slater fans he is back in the box for tonight’s nsw v qld match!

Well now that The Buzzard has gone it might change. Speaking of overseas commentators wonder of Ian Smith will be in ther for the Chappell-Hadlee One Day Series

They need at least one overseas commentator per series, so at least it’s not dead air or meaningless platitudes whenever they try to talk about the opposition.

2 Likes

Netball Australia has revealed the fixture for the opening round of the new national league next year (all times AEDT):
Saturday 18 February
Giants v NSW Swifts, Sydney Olympic Park Sports Centre, 5pm
Melbourne Vixens v Collingwood Magpies, Hisense Arena, 7pm
Queensland Firebirds v Sunshine Coast Lightning, Brisbane Entertainment Centre, 8.45pm
Sunday 19 February
Adelaide Thunderbirds v West Coast Fever, Priceline Stadium, 1pm
The full national netball league fixture will be announced on Monday, 7 November. All matches will be shown on Nine.

EDIT: times added as published in today’s Herald Sun

[quote=“JohnsonTV, post:259, topic:380”]
All matches will be shown on Nine[/quote]

I guess this means the Nine network. I doubt they’ll put it on Nine.

The Fast5 netball tournament is on Gem this Sat & Sun.

It’s possible some big netball matches like Vixens v Swifts will be shown on the main channel.

Ken Sutcliffe has announced his retirement. This has been a presentation from Nine’s Wide World of Sports!

Certainly the end of an era tonight

2 Likes

Ken’s retirement will be a big loss to Nine’s sports department. No doubt the likes of Cameron Williams, Yvonne Sampson and Erin Holan will take up the hosting duties from now on, plus Mark Nicholas for the cricket coverage.

Huge holds will need to be filled in at Nine

Realistically, I wouldn’t be too surprised if Nine continues to uses Ken Sutcliffe’s “This has been another presentation from Nine’s Wide World Of Sports” voiceover to close sports coverage on the network even after his retirement. Afterall they’re still using Peter Harvey’s voiceovers on the Openers of Sydney’s 6pm news well over three (and closer to four actually) years after his death! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

This is Nine News with Peter Overton. Peter Harvey’s voice can still be heard.