Nine News Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

While I would love for this to happen, the new set is being implemented at TCN for Nine News Sydney on a Sunday because today is considered the start of the week (notice Pete and the main team work Sunday- Thursday).

2 Likes

Autobots… TRANSFORM! [Insert transformers transforming noise here]

2 Likes

I don’t agree with that. Sets hardly ever launch on a Sunday (which is my point on why today is unusual).

It’s going to be good to see TCN with the new set! I don’t think it’s far fetched to think that they could put the new set in Studio 1. The current set is on casters and they used to move it out every evening when Today and Mornings were done from the same studio. So I think they could just roll it out of the way for the new set, though the new set doesn’t look like it could just roll in. Anyway, IIRC, the studio was big enough to fit both Nine News and Financial Review Sunday, so the new set could already be in there. Just my thoughts anyway.

As for NBN (Nine Newcastle/NNSW), I don’t see them getting any of it soon, set or graphics. A couple of years ago I was talking to a sales manager from a broadcast equipment supplier in Sydney, who we got much of our control room equipment from, and who has dealt with NBN. He said, back then, that NBN’s master control equipment was quite old (8-bit even). I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same in their studio control room. I can see that it already struggles with the Nine News styled opener graphics (with the NBN News logo moving over the dotted globe) and the transitions in from ad breaks. They don’t even include the spinning globe under the watermark on their lower third supers.

1 Like

You have to wonder if that is the situation, why do people complain about graphics and news sets at all if they aren’t used to attract an audience.

1 Like

This will probably be the biggest single day change to the On-Air Presentation at Nine News in a decade (at least), so I definitely think it would’ve been worthy of a massive promotional campaign with buzzphrases such as “A major evolution in Australian television news” IMO.

Knowing their tendency to mention things to their viewers like the retirement of longtime floor managers and helicopter pilots as well as birthday wishes to their former longtime newsreader, I wonder if Nine News Sydney will give the new look a notable mention On-Air tonight?

And Nine News Darwin as well? You’d presume that they would at least pick up the new look graphics, set wise I wouldn’t be surprised if they stick with what they’ve got for the time being.

It wouldn’t really surprise me if Nine News Sydney uses a Sunday night to relaunch. What would genuinely surprise me though is them being able to remove the current/old set, install the new set and have it 100% ready for On-Air use in less than a day when the current/old set was still used last night:

3 Likes

According to this video, they’ll get the old set out in a very short amount of time:

7 Likes

Wow thanks

Might find this interesting too:

3 Likes

From Nine News Sydney Facebook:

It’ll be very interesting to see if 9News.com.au gets an update with the relaunch, since the website design (especially the header) is somewhat based on the 2014-16 super graphics.

9 Likes

So… Is Karl leaving? Can’t believe they’d leave us with such a cliffhanger.

5 Likes

After seeing the Perth set on TV and in person, I don’t think it will take too long to remove the old TCN set and put the new one in as really it is all screens. Looking forward to Sydney’s version and if they will use the same set differently to what Perth does.

2 Likes

Haha, no. This was a segment out of a livestream done back when Rob McKnight was still at 9.

Sydney’s new graphics have been used during a newsbreak:

16 Likes

Video:

10 Likes

First time a graphics package has made its debut other than on a Monday on 9 at least? Wonder if Melbourne’s going to get it as well.

5 Likes

As I’m sure we’ve established by now, Nine News Sydney runs a Sunday-Thursday and Friday/Saturday presenting roster. So if the other markets (who run the “traditional” Monday-Friday and Saturday/Sunday presenting roster) don’t get the new graphics today, they probably will tomorrow.

Also, is it just me or does the logo look slightly more glossy with this new look?

5 Likes

The presenting roster has nothing to do with the timing of a relaunch.

3 Likes

This is what Brisbane looks like

Edit - forgot the wipes:

8 Likes

Disagree with that. If your launching a new set and GFX, you definitely want your lead anchor on air.

10 Likes