Nine Entertainment Co

Continued on from this thread.

The Nine Network today announced that Adrian Swift, a former director of development at the network, is returning to take the title of head of content production and development.

“I’m really pleased to say Adrian is returning to Nine in a role which will incorporate production and development of our local content, across all the platforms in our evolving business,” said Michael Healy, Nine’s director of television.

“Adrian has a great knowledge of Nine; he will be a welcomed member of our team.”

Mumbrella reports that Swift will again be responsible for non-scripted production across Nine’s broadcast and digital platforms including external commissions, Nine’s internal production unit, as well as program development and format acquisition.

“Nine is my spiritual home and I’m very excited to be returning,” said Swift.

“With so many great shows commissioned for 2016, it’s a huge job and I’m looking forward to working alongside Hugh Marks, Michael Healy and Andrew Backwell. I have loved my time at the ABC and salute the brilliant team with whom it’s been a privilege to work.”

Rumours today from the AFR (no link) that Nine Entertainment Co., Fairfax and Southern Cross Austereo might merge in the coming year to take on News Corp and its hefty status in the Australian media world.

Here’s Radio Today’s take on it.

Is there any indication the two out of three rule would be going?

there’s a Coalition senator - Dean Smith - who has gone on the record to say that the reach rule will be dealt with in the first three months of this year. He’s the backbench communications committee chairperson.

Whether it goes… well, we’ll just have to see. I believe it will.

Yeah, I’m sure the 75% reach rule will go, but there’s also the rule about not being able to control a newspaper, radio station and TV station in the same market.

The possibility of mergers resulting in a Fairfax/SCA/Nine combo and a News/MRN/Ten combo would be really worrying to many, so I’d imagine it would be more difficult to get through.

Stokes would be pissed… which of course means it would be good! :stuck_out_tongue:

The Australian has confirmed that Simon Kelly will leave his role as chief operating officer and chief financial officer Nine Entertainment in May.

Nine has ended its association with Australian Associated Press, The Australian (paywall) reports.

Ten ended its relationship with AAP in 2014, which leaves Seven, the ABC, SBS, Sky News Australia and Fox Sports as the agency’s remaining TV broadcasting clients.

This may not be the correct place to ask (not sure).

But has there been any more indication on when 9Now will launch?
Last I heard was “early in the year”.

I heard it will coincide with ratings launch - so Jan 31ish?

Mumbrella reports that Nine has sold its share of Daily Mail Australia

Nine Entertainment Co has sold off its stake in the Daily Mail Australia to British-based parent company The Daily Mail General Trust, just over two years after the joint-venture was created.

Mumbrella understands a key driver for the sale is a frustration from the Daily Mail about how Nine was selling the product, and a concern it was pushing its own properties ahead of the joint venture.

###Wide World of Sports and 60 Minutes appointments

Hugh Marks, CEO of Nine, today announced the appointment of Tom Malone to the role of Director of Sport, with the confirmation of Steve Crawley, Nine’s current Head of Sport, leaving to join Fox Sports as Head of Live Sport.

Hugh Marks said: “Steve Crawley has made an enormous contribution to our business over the past fourteen years. He is one of those rare individuals who knows, practices and lives his craft to the benefit of the team of people who work with him. We’re immensely sad to see him go but wish him well for the future. He will always be a friend of Nine.”

Steve Crawley said: “I’ve had the time of my working life at Nine’s Wide World of Sports alongside many of the legends of Australian sports broadcasting, from commentators to producers, cameramen and cable hands, young and old. I leave with a heavy heart, but at the same time exhilarated by the new challenge ahead of me.”

Hugh Marks said: “We have without doubt the very best sports broadcasting team producing and setting the standard in coverage of sport, led by Alex Rolls, Matt Callander and Brad McNamara. In 2015 our sports broadcasts were the top three rating programs of the year. Taking on the challenge of leading this team of talented sports broadcasters and driving the evolution of Nine’s broader sports strategy will be one of the very best television executives we have in Tom Malone.”

Tom Malone has been with the Nine Network for the past 10 years, first as the executive producer of the Today Show for six and a half years and currently as the executive producer of Australia’s leading current affairs program, 60 Minutes.

Tom Malone said: “It’s a huge honour to be taking on this role. Nine has led the way in sports broadcasting for sixty years. I’m aware of the great legacy I have inherited from Steve Crawley and his predecessors, and I’m confident and excited about leading our Wide World of Sports team through what promises to be a period of great innovation in the production and delivery of sports content for all Australians.

“I love my sport. I’ve watched rugby league and cricket all my life – being a tragic Eels supporter and a great fan of the Australian cricket team - so I couldn’t be more pumped about this opportunity.”

Taking over the baton as the Executive Producer of 60 Minutes is Kirsty Thomson, who has been with the program for the past eight years, in the role of Chief of Staff for five of those years.

Kirsty Thomson said: “I am honoured and excited to take on this role. I have always loved working at 60 Minutes and can’t wait to lead the program’s amazing team of reporters, producers, camera crews and editors. This program is iconic in Australian television and I know how much the audience love what we bring each Sunday night. We will continue, and build on that tradition.”

Prior to joining 60 Minutes Thomson was News Editor at BSkyB and before that a senior producer at A Current Affair.

Hugh Marks said: “I welcome Kirsty Thomson to the role of Executive Producer of 60 Minutes. Our flagship current affairs brand has a tradition of leadership by some of the best of our industry, and Darren Wick and I look forward to working with Kirsty in continuing to produce outstanding, award-winning current affairs.”

Steve Crawley will remain with the Network until the end of March to ensure a smooth transition for all the teams affected.

Nine must be hoping nobody notices… sending out a press release after 5.00 on a Friday afternoon :slightly_smiling:

A rumour around this morning which actually makes sense when you think about it, is that Deborah Wright has been brought into NEC’s Sydney office to get the WIN deal over the line for Nine. It’s well known that Wright, through NBN, has a great relationship with the Gordons and this may see a WIN deal announced within weeks.

1 Like

I was thinking that 9’s recent promise to improve the NBN service might imply they are less interested in purchasing Southern Cross. If they merged/purchased SCA I would have thought that NBN would have been sold.

And maybe that is why there is now movement at the station when it comes to the changes at NBN we are seeing now. With these changes it all but confirms that SCA is no longer of interest

BOARD CHANGES

Nine Entertainment Co. (ASX:NEC) has today announced that Mr David Haslingden will step down as Chairman and Non-Executive Director, effective 1 March 2016. Mr Peter Costello, currently an Independent, Non-Executive Director, will take over as Chair from this time.

Mr Haslingden joined the Board in February 2013, and during his time as Chairman, oversaw the successful restructure and public market float of the group.

Peter Costello, incoming Chairman said “I pay tribute to David for the leadership he has given the Company since 2013. His experience and understanding of the industry, and commitment to NEC have been invaluable throughout this period. The Company is in an extremely strong financial position.

I am delighted to take over the role of Chairman. This is an exciting time of change in the media sector and NEC is now strongly positioned to take advantage of these developments.”

Mr Costello will continue as Chair of the Board of Guardians of the Future Fund, a member of the International Advisory Board of Alliance SE and as Chair of ECG Financial P/L.

David Haslingden said “I have thoroughly enjoyed my 3 years on the NEC Board. The company has achieved a lot in that short time: going public, consolidating into a 5 cap city network, renewing key cricket and NRL franchises, disposing of Nine Live, launching Stan and 9Now and transitioning to a balanced share register of leading Australian and International funds managers. It’s been a busy time for my own company as well, which has now expanded from its base in New Zealand to have operations in the US, Latin America, China, SE Asia and Australia and a full time staff of over 250. The time is right for me to move on from NEC, leaving the Company with a new Chief Executive and a best-in-sector balance sheet; a modern content business ideally placed to embark upon the challenges of the next phase of sector evolution.”

The Company has also announced the appointment of Ms Elizabeth Gaines as a Non-Executive Independent Director, effective 1 March 2016.

Ms Gaines’ executive career has focused on financial services, infrastructure, media and travel distribution in both the UK and Australia, with her most recent role being CEO, and previously CFO/COO, of ASX-listed Helloworld.

Ms Gaines is currently a Non-Executive Director of Fortescue Metals Group Limited and Next DC Limited and she was appointed a Commissioner of Tourism Western Australia in November 2015. She is also a Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, Australian Institute of Company Directors and Chief Executive Women.

Commenting on the appointment, Peter Costello said “We are delighted to welcome Elizabeth to the NEC Board. She has extensive experience across a variety of consumer-facing industry sectors. Her deep financial background will prove complementary to the current Board. I look forward to working with her, as do all of our other Board members.”
Ms Gaines said “I am excited about joining the Nine Entertainment Co. Board. Media is currently at a very interesting and dynamic time in its evolution and I look forward to contributing to the Company’s future success.”

NEC also notes that, effective 1 March, Ms Gaines has been appointed Chair of the Audit and Risk Committee, replacing Mr Peter Costello in the role.

Shares up above 5% on that announcement.

###MICHAEL STEPHENSON TAKES ON CHIEF SALES OFFICER ROLE AT NEC

Nine CEO Hugh Marks today announced the appointment of Michael Stephenson to the role of Chief Sales Officer following the decision by Peter Wiltshire to stand down from NEC.

Hugh Marks said “I want to personally thank Peter for his leadership of the NEC sales team and his broader contribution to the Executive Team over the past ten years. Peter’s enthusiasm, professionalism and detailed market knowledge drove an improvement in NEC’s revenue performance over that period and have set the sales team well down the path to transform the way we in which we trade into the future. I wish him every success in his future endeavours.”

Peter Wiltshire said ‘These 10 years at NEC have been a privileged experience for me as we navigated the rebuild of the business from our challenging times, to where we find ourselves today. There have been some extraordinary corporate challenges, and significant changes in the consumer and media landscape, and I believe we have positioned NEC to be ready to tackle the next phase of the journey. I’ve worked with some inspiring people along the way, and I’m really proud of the team I’ve had the opportunity to lead over the years. It’s time for me to enjoy a break after 27 years of tenure in an industry I remain deeply passionate about.

Michael Stephenson has been the Director of Sales for the Nine Network since 2011 and most recently the Director of Sales for the Nine Entertainment Co… Prior to Nine, Michael was the Director of Sales for ninemsn and has held various roles at Seven and TEN during his 20 years in broadcast and digital sales.

Hugh Marks said “Michael is perfectly placed to pick up the reins from Peter and lead the Nine Sales team as we evolve our business model in response to an ever changing market. Michael is a highly respected member of the current NEC Executive Team. I know he will step up to this role with vigour and energy and inject a renewed focus on NEC’s revenue performance, driving innovative and productive collaborations with our clients.”

Michael Stephenson said “It’s a huge honour to lead our Sales team and to continue the great work we have started under Peter’s leadership and guidance. We are well progressed on the development of new technology which will fundamentally change the way we connect brands with our audiences through our content. It’s an exciting time to be at NEC as we focus on using creativity, data and technology to build more meaningful connections for advertisers across all of our Broadcast and Digital assets.”

The appointment is effective from Monday March 14.

1 Like

AFR reports NEC has taken a 9.9% stake in Southern Cross Media at $1.15 per share. Is it just for strategic purposes?