My Kitchen Rules

Trying to get House Rules in before Masterchef. Very smart move.

2 Likes

Anna and Jordan did enough to get into the semi-finals but I think this was one of their worst cooking performances. Why did they argue while Manu was in the kitchen? They argued on things like cooking a particular ingredient and plating which was unnecessary. They also put the bombe alaska in the fridge for too long which affected its texture and taste.
Gianni and Zana had to score 72 points or more to finish third in this round, to face Carmine and Lauren in the semi final (assuming it will again be 1st v 4th and 2nd v 3rd). That would mean Tasia and Garcia would clash with Anna and Jordan in the other semi.

1 Like

Unless zana and gianni come 4th or 1st…

1 Like

They’ve been fueling the Lauren v Zana rivalry all season long so I think it’s a certainty they will square off in either the semis or the final. My money’s on them facing off in one of the semi-finals.

1 Like

Ah, you’ve answered a few of my questions there.

I’ve been wondering what will happen after the Ultimate Instant Restaurant round.

So it will be a traditional footy final style (1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd) elimination cook off, with the 2 winners to face off in the Grand Final.

I missed last nights episode, so thanks for the A&J score of 71, I’m a bit surprised they didn’t do a bit better. I think T&G will have to be my new favourite to win it.

And yes, looking forward to a C&L vs Z&G semi… As long as Z&G score anywhere from 72 to 84 points.

MKR Grand Final set to sizzle next week on Seven

Channel Seven today confirmed the 2016 MY KITCHEN RULES Grand Final will air on Tuesday, April 26 ahead of the season four premiere of HOUSE RULES on Wednesday, April 27.

With the top four semi-finalist teams to be decided at the end of tonight’s episode, one team is closer to winning the title of MY KITCHEN RULES champion for 2016.

Tomorrow night’s first semi-final (April 21, 7.30pm) will see the winner progress straight to Tuesday’s grand final where they will compete against the winner of Monday night’s (April 25,7.30pm) second semi-final for $250,000 in prize money.

Hosted by Pete Evans and Manu Feildel, MY KITCHEN RULES has reaffirmed its place as Australia’s number one entertainment program with the current season averaging 2.3 million combined (metro+regional) viewers each episode. It is also the most watched regular program in 2016 for total viewers.

From the producers of MKR, HOUSE RULES returns on Wednesday, April 27 at 7.30pm with big challenges, big decisions, big designs and big Aussie families.

Six new teams from around Australia are set to take on the biggest challenge of their lives. They all have one thing in common: a lack of space. Together, they’ll travel the country, hand over the keys to their homes and leave their opposition to transform every room in their house. They will need to make the most of every nook and cranny as they battle it out to become mortgage free.

Teams vying for this year’s life-changing prize are:

MELBOURNE / Fil & Joe
NEW SOUTH WALES / Nancy & Daniel
QUEENSLAND / Luke & Cody
SOUTH AUSTRALIA / Brooke & Michelle
VICTORIA / Claire & Hagan
WESTERN AUSTRALIA / Rose & Rob

Thursday 21 April at 7.30pm Semi-final One
Monday 25 April at 7.30pm Semi-final Two
Tuesday 26 April at 7.30pm MKR Grand Final

HOUSE RULES 2016 SEASON PREMIERE: Wednesday 27 April at 7.30pm

So why is there an extra episode on Thursday this week but nothing on Sunday? That’s weird scheduling for the last week.

I think it’s because Seven has Sunday night AFL on this weekend in the AFL states.

Public holiday Monday = lower audiences on the Sunday.

The longer explanation IMO is that Seven aired 3 episodes of MKR in Week 13 to go up against 9’s Reno Stumble; so they have ended the season 3 episodes early. If they had stuck to the pattern of previous years and had no episodes during that Easter non-ratings week, the 1st semi would have been Wednesday next week, the 2nd on the following Sunday with a GF on Monday 2 May.

It was so close for Gianni and Zara tonight, finishing one point behind Anna and Jordan at the end of ultimate instant restaurant round. It meant Gianni and Zara would face Tasia and Gracia in Thursday’s semi-final (thus only one Victorian team would reach the grand final) while Carmine and Lauren would cook against Anna and Jordan in Monday’s semi.
It came down to little details such as lack of salt in some dishes and not pulling the guts from the prawns. Had Gianni and Zara done them they would have got a few more points from the judges, knowing the other four teams would score strategically.

No it came down to whoever the producers wanted to pair up in the semis.

4 Likes

MKR’s semi-finals begin with final four teams

The 2016 MKR semi-finalists have been decided with the elimination of Victorian siblings Mitch and Laura

The first team through to the 2016 MY KITCHEN RULES grand final will be decided tomorrow night (Thursday, April 21 at 7.30pm) when Gianni and Zana and Tasia and Gracia cook in the first semi-final.

Following a competitive round of ultimate instant restaurants, Victorian sisters Tasia and Gracia are sitting at the top of the MKR leaderboard with a history-making ultimate instant restaurant score of 85. The girls are taking on fourth placed Gianni and Zana, who secured their place in the semi with a score of 71.

The sisters ‘wowed’ their fellow teams and judges Pete Evans and Manu Feildel with their ultimate instant restaurant menu. Highlights included a main of Indonesian grilled chicken with sambal and tempeh and an entrée of crystal prawn and ginger dumplings – both dishes scoring perfect 10s from the judges.

Tasia and Gracia’s semi-final opponents, Gianni and Zana, didn’t fare quite as well in the ultimate instant restaurant round. The couple made some careless errors, including forgetting to prep the prawns in their entrée of Adriatic seafood stew.

“I have no issue with eating messy food. The biggest concern I had with that prawn, was that you didn’t clean it properly,” said Pete, who also questioned whether the rustic nature of the dish was a good match with the evening’s fine dining setting.

Manu said the couple’s second entrée of sardines with capers, olives and bread was “wonderful”, but lacked seasoning, a mistake he said he wouldn’t expect a team to make at this point in the competition.

Pete labelled their main of burek cigars with figs and goat’s cheese an “average dish”, but thankfully their second main of spiced lamb loin with chestnut puree and mushroom tart that kept them in contention for the semi-final round.

Manu couldn’t fault the dish. “I absolutely loved it. The lamb is cooked to perfection, beautiful caramelisation on the outside … it’s gorgeous to look at and gorgeous to eat.”

Eliminated siblings Mitch and Laura had success with their entrees in the ultimate instant restaurant round with the judges scoring both dishes a nine. But the team stumbled with technique in their mains.

Their lamb sweetbreads with charred cauliflower and hazelnuts didn’t impress Pete who said the sweetbreads “lacked creaminess”. Manu also faulted their second main of beetroot risotto with pan roasted pheasant saying the rice was a little crunchy and the pheasant was dry as they had cooked it without the skin. The team scored seven and six respectively for their mains.

Mitch and Laura’s fate in the competition was sealed in the dessert round with their poached meringue in orange scented custard with pistachio praline scoring a five. Their porcini and caramel tart with coffee ice cream also scored a five from the judges, giving the brother and sister team an overall score of 60 out of 110.

On Monday night (April 25 at 7.30pm) Western Australia’s mother and son team Anna and Jordan (ultimate instant restaurant score of 72) will face off in the second semi-final against South Australian husband and wife, Carmine and Lauren (ultimate instant restaurant score of 77).

Both teams have had a very different journey to this point in the competition. Carmine and Lauren have survived three tense sudden death cook-offs. By contrast, Anna and Jordan have won People’s Choice twice and have never experienced the pressure of a sudden death cook-off.

The winner from this semi-final will compete in Tuesday’s grand final.

My Kitchen Rules airs:

Thursday, April 21at 7.30pm Semi-final One
Monday, April 25 at 7.30pm Semi-final Two
Tuesday, April 26 at 7.30pm MKR Grand Final

I would have thought a Carmine and Lauren vs Zana and Gianni semi final would have attracted more viewers.

Or maybe they are leaving that one for the Grand Final? (but to me, they are the 2 weakest teams left, so probably don’t deserve to be there anyway).

Sisters Tasia and Gracia first team into MKR Grand Final

The spirited siblings are one step closer to opening their dream restaurant as Gianni and Zana exit the MKR competition.

Tasia and Gracia have claimed their place in the 2016 MKR grand final with a convincing 12 point win over opponents Gianni and Zana in the first semi-final.

The sisters who scored 55/60 admitted they were “extremely nervous” having to fight for their lives in the competition for the first time, but when the scores came in it was clear they had nothing to worry about.

“This is the strongest three course menu I’ve ever had in this competition,” said Pete Evans who awarded the duo a perfect 10 for their menu. Manu Feildel and guest judges Colin Fassnidge, Guy Grossi, Karen Martini and Liz Egan agreed, all awarding the sisters a nine for their three courses.

With the $250,000 in prize money firmly in their sights, Gracia said it would be amazing to share a grand final win with her sister. Tasia explained, “since Gracia and I have been young, we’ve wanted to open up our own restaurant”.

“Bringing street food of Indonesia to Australia,” added Gracia. “Winning the title of My Kitchen Rules and also the prize money would mean so much for our future.”

While their MY KITCHEN RULES dream may have ended, Gianni and Zana were gracious in defeat with their score of 43/60. Fighting back tears, Zana said: “To be honest, losing against Tasia and Gracia isn’t so bad because they are such a strong team”.

“My Kitchen Rules has pushed us,” she continued. “We love working hard and we’ve learned so much. MKR has all been about our family and where we got to cook our true traditional recipes.”

The couple agreed MKR had been the “best experience of our lives” and had some parting advice for Tasia and Gracia.

“You deserve to be in the Grand Final, your food is phenomenal,” said Zana as she left Kitchen HQ with her husband.

Both teams started the night with strong entrees. Colin said they were “competition winning dishes” noting a high standard had been set early.

Tasia and Gracia’s lobster tail with yellow curry sauce and taro chips was praised by the judges.

“Wow! What a punchy start to a three course meal,” said Guy. “The lobster’s been cooked superbly, just delicately under in the middle,” added Karen, who said the girls demonstrated great restraint with their sauce which could have overpowered the lobster.

Gianni and Zana started with an entrée of beetroot and goats’ cheese ravioli with sage. Despite an early stumble accidently burning their sauce, the team recovered to plate up an entrée that floored the judges.

“Look at my plate, it’s empty and that’s the highest compliment you can give a cook,” said Colin of the team’s perfectly rolled pasta. Pete agreed: “I have one word to sum up this dish; sensational. Gorgeous to look at and even better to eat.”

For main, Tasia and Gracia served up crispy fried barramundi with apple, coriander and tamarind dressing.

“The fish is crispy and delicious and their sauce is tempered really well,” said Karen. “There’s heat in there, but it’s not overpowering.” Colin agreed saying the fish was in danger of being outshone by the sauce: “The fish is meant to be the star of the show, but for me the sauce and the salad is the star of the show.”

Gianni and Zana’s main of beef goulash with heirloom carrots and pickles received a mix response from the judges. While Liz liked the “hearty, home cooking” feel of the dish, Colin was concerned that it was too rustic for a competition dish.

Karen and Guy questioned whether some of the smoky flavour was actually from being caught on the pot, while Manu took it one step further: “I am disappointed about this dish, it’s not smoky, it’s burnt. I was hoping for a little bit more.”

The judges commended Tasia and Gracia on their dessert of coconut panna cotta with passionfruit curd and lychee sorbet noting they had added just the right amount of gelatine to achieve the sought after ‘wobble’.

“You don’t have to be a Rhodes Scholar to know that that is a perfectly made panna cotta,” said Guy. “It basically just starts to fall apart as soon as you put your spoon into it. The curd is great, and the sorbet goes really well with it.” Manu agreed, saying: “It’s silky and beautiful. I love this dessert.”

While the judges acknowledged the skill in Gianni and Zana’s pastry, they said the presentation and flavour of their krempita with vanilla poached figs dessert had let them down.

“It’s almost something you’d buy from a cake-shop,” said Liz. “Very simple and quite pleasant, but I don’t think pleasant is what they are after.”

On Monday night (April 25 at 7.30pm) Western Australia’s mother and son team, Anna and Jordan (ultimate instant restaurant score of 72) will face off in the second semi-final against South Australian husband and wife, Carmine and Lauren (ultimate instant restaurant score of 77).

Both teams have had a very different journey to this point in the competition. Carmine and Lauren have survived three tense sudden death cook-offs. By contrast, Anna and Jordan have won People’s Choice twice and have never experienced the pressure of a sudden

I’d dine at Tasia’s and Gracias anytime of the day or night. Amazing food.

1 Like

Tasia and Gracia are now hot favourite to take out the title after tonight’s semi-final. Their cooking was top class.
Gianni and Zana’s inconsistency in cooking finally took its toll. The burn in their beef goulash and the tasteless fig in their dessert cost them valuable points. Zana has since told the Herald Sun she would love to make a return to TV. (After the grand final was recorded last December, the couple moved to Brisbane - where Gianni was originally from - to continue their regular job as lawyers)

For once I am surprised by an outcome on MKR. I was certain a Zana v Lauren cook off would eventuate given the deliberate attempt to build a rivalry between them throughout the season. Unless they have a monumental stuff up in the GF Tasia and Gracia will win easily.

No Zana had too many close calls. Only so many times you can save someone, credibly.

Seven still has not revealed the guest scores from Gianni and Zana’s instant restaurant on Wednesday. The other teams gave a total of 28 points for the couple’s effort with an average score of 7 per team. Based on the comments made during the episode I think the possible individual scores are:
Anna and Jordan: 8
Mitch and Laura: 6
Tasia and Gracia: 7
Carmine and Lauren: 7