Great songs heard on radio

I know I go on about the Tamborine border-blaster’s playlist a bit here, but last night driving home they played Metallica’s Master of Puppets. A thrash metal classic in full, just before 6pm on a weeknight. Name me somewhere else I’ll get that kind of song at that time of day in or near a capital city

I think I nearly blew the speakers out of the car when that came on, and I now have several noise violations to answer for. But it was all worth it, and the reason this station stays at Number 1 on my presets :smiley:

Oh, and 4MMM played Spacehog’s In the Meantime just after 6 too. A good alt-rock classic from the 90s that I always enjoy hearing too

3 Likes

Witch Queen - Chantoozies

An Aussie 80s rarity playing right now on WSFM.

1 Like

WS just played:

Notorious - Duran Duran (!!)

An ultra unflogged song, even by WS’s Saturday night standards.
I don’t think I’ve heard that on the radio, anywhere, for nearly 30 years…

1 Like

Funnily enough, I heard Duran Duran’s Notorious on Friday night on a Swiss digital station called 80s Forever.

Heard tonight:

Pepper - BUTTHOLE SURFERS (1996) on Rebel FM 90.5

On breakfast a few days ago:

Big Jet Plane - ANGUS & JULIA STONE (2014) on Breeze FM 92.1

For the last few months, Maroochydore’s MIX 92.7 has also broadcast their own Saturday night party mix. Prior to that, the programming was from the Gold Coast. Personally, I prefer the latter programme… regardless, I do find it pleasing whenever networking is reversed. :grinning:

(The Late Great)Prince-“Purple Rain”,The Breeze

1 Like

Today, across some of the Sydney FM stations:

“(Si Si) Je Suis Un Rock Star” Bill Wyman
"The Way of The World" Max Q

• Both on WS’s “80s Lunch”

“The Loved One (1981 version)” INXS - Triple M Sydney
"Life On Mars?" (The late great) David Bowie - Smooth FM

The “Life On Mars?” entry could’ve also been qualified for the “Did They Really Just Played That?” thread, as it sounds a bit strange to hear a song that could really be classed as ‘classic rock’ on Smooth. Still, at least Smooth plays it, as WS would be unlikely to play that song. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good - Better Than Ezra

On Triple M a few mins ago.

1 Like

Poor Boy - Split Enz

On WS right now…

One of their unflogged classics.

Caught the following over the past couple of days:

Gary Clark Jr - 3rd Stone From the Sun (Rebel)
Dire Straits - Down to the Waterline (Breeze)
Lou Gramm - Midnight Blue (Rebel)

And ones perhaps not so much for this thread as the ‘forgotten relics’ file, heard recently:

Wilson Phillips - Hold On (River 949)
Cliff Richard - Carrie (Breeze)

Syndicated via the 2020 retro countdown (on a heap of regional stations):

In the Heat of the Night - BRYAN ADAMS (1987) on River 949

His new stuff (produced by Jeff Lynne of ‘Travelling Wilbury’ fame) has been heard on Localworks regionally.

This arvo’s work:

Fleetwood Mac - Gold Dust Woman (Rebel)
Goanna - Razor’s Edge (Hot Tomato)
Butthole Surfers - Pepper (Rebel)

On a slightly related note, Hot Tomato is such a frustrating station to listen to - there’s just no consistency. They go from playing a great song like that Goanna one to some horrible new piece of crap. And they do it all the time! Some stations (like River 949) get the balance between old and new about right, but in my opinion they’re a long way off. I can never stay tuned in for more than about two songs

2 Likes

I too share that opinion of Hot Tomato. Very hit and miss

1 Like

same with NewFM. One good song out of 5.

1 Like

more miss than hit then

Heard on 104.5 Triple M Sunday night, during the 1987 Cold 30 (listed in order of broadcast):

Right on Track - BREAKFAST CLUB
My Obsession - ICEHOUSE
Too Much Ain’t Enough - JIMMY BARNES
Do You See What I See? - HUNTERS & COLLECTORS

3 Likes

Caught the following today:

Icehouse - Mr Big (Rebel)
Mi Sex - Blue Day (Breeze)
Icehouse - Nothing too Serious (River949)
Rolling Stones - Wild Horses (4MMM)

Also note that 4MMM’s playlist of late has been very interesting, certainly living up to the classic rock label right now.

3 Likes

ko fm and gold fm are the same very hit and miss

A couple of personal faves heard during tonight’s first hour of the Rubber Room (heard nationally on Triple M):

Stay - OINGO BOINGO (1986)
Memory Remains - METALLICA & MARIANNE FAITHFULL (1997)

4 Likes

Nice one. The Memory Remains was my favourite of the Load/Reload-era Metallica songs, great track. As is the Oingo Boingo number, brilliant and rare track (even if a bit more before my time than the former song) :+1: