Digital Radio

Yeah only just noticed :). Yeah the audio is horrible. They should donate the bits to fun superdigi.

1 Like

SBS Arabic 24 has started in Sydney at 48kbps

You’re a bit late, the station started on Monday! :wink:

A straight replacement of PopAraby.

1 Like

Sydney only SRN/BOG digital station Fun appears to be off the air at the moment (no audio being heard, even the online stream is just dead air), although some text data is still being transmitted. I wonder what the go is there?

For the record, 2SM, Dance, Gorilla and Zoo are running audio as normal.

Supposed to be the first mobile phone with DAB+ built in.

LG offers digital radio on your phone…if that’s what you were looking for

LG’s Stylus 2 is the first phone to support DAB+ radio

LG releases first smart phone with inbuilt DAB+ Radio at #RDE16

1 Like

Nice phone…shame about the disgracefully poor screen resolution.

The “Pure Gold 80s” branding seems to have disappeared on the DAB+ station…

It seems to have been replaced with “iHeart Radio” branding, with a lot of promos for iHeart radio shows (sound like they must be online programs eg. there’s no mention of terrestrial stations like KIIS).

Though the station is still playing pretty much the same 80s music and the placeholder name on DAB+ is still “Pure Gold 80s”.

same as pure 90’s. i heard promos for the asia chart show for example.

The first DAB+ Digital Radio Report for 2016 has been released: http://www.gfk.com/fileadmin/user_upload/dyna_content/AU/Documents/Resources/2016/GfK_DAB__Digital_Radio_Report_-_1_2016.pdf

Triple M Classic Rock Digital is the #1 DAB+ commercial station nationally, followed by Coles Radio, Pure Gold 80s, Edge Digital & Buddha, rounding out the Top 5. Triple M Classic Rock is in the Top 3 in Melbourne (#2), Brisbane (#1) & Perth (#3), likewise for Pure Gold 80s in Sydney (#3), Melbourne (#1) & Brisbane (#3), whilst Pure Gold 90s is #2 in Adelaide. Edge Digital is #1 in Sydney, where the station is also available on 96.1FM, which of course is not included in the normal Sydney radio ratings. In Melbourne, 3MP is #3, which the station is also available on 1377AM, but is also not included in the normal Melbourne radio ratings. In Perth, My Perth Digital is #1, followed by Smooth at #2, proving that Easy Listening/Soft AC is popular on among DAB+ listeners there, followed closely by Classic Rock, none of which are offered on among the commercial FM/AM stations.

Meanwhile, new data released by CRA revealed that during 2015, more than 307,500 cars were sold with DAB+ car radios, which is up from 98,400 in 2014, an increase of a whopping 212.5% over the year! :open_mouth:
See article for more: http://www.radiotoday.com.au/news/whats-new/8701-cars-put-dab-in-drivers-seat.html

Interesting results. I still don’t get the Coles radio results lol. The only stations I hear out and about in Brisbane shops and cafes are Triple M Classic Rock, Smooth, Pure 80s and Buddha.

Speaking of Pure Gold 80s it’s now showing iheart radio The 80s.

1 Like

The Edge Digital (although really, it’s just a straight simulcast of 96.1 the last time I bothered to check) being the #1 digital only-station in Sydney make you wonder about two things.

*Do people in Sydney listen to The Edge Digital because of average 96.1 reception or did the survey recipients just tick “The Edge Digital” in the survey purely because they have heard of the station before?
*Should ARN really try and get The Edge 96.1 as part of the Sydney radio ratings surveys? Although I do think that it realistically won’t ever happen because if The Edge was to be included in Sydney’s radio surveys, other fringe stations (especially C91.3) would probably argue that they should be allowed to take part as well.

1 Like

Yes, The Edge Digital is direct simulcast of 96.1, the same as how all the other commercials on digital are difect simulcasts of their FM/AM frequencies.

The problem here is really that in Sydney, the Edge is classified as a DAB+ only station, rather than a similcast station. Simulcast stations (those also broadcast on FM/AM) make up 72% of all DAB+ listening in Sydney, so overall that means that The Edge probably isn’t the number 1 DAB+ station - stations such as KIIS, 2GB etc. quite possibly have more listeners on DAB+, however because of their simulcast classification aren’t specifically listed in this survey.

The more questionable result I see there is MyMP in Melbourne - this is now branded as 3MP, and is a direct simulcast of 1377AM. I suspect this may still be because:
a) 3MP don’t participate in ratings
b) MyMP was a DAB+ only station back in the MTR days.

1 Like

That makes 2 of us

The on air branding changed a week or two ago.

It’s the 2nd brand change in less than 2 years.
I still prefer Mix 80s.

I believe that the station names are simply “The 80s” and “The 90s” here in Sydney at least.

There’s still that oddity of slideshow images running on The 80s (which of course have been updated) but not The 90s as well.

I’ve heard a rumour that there are going to become one station… not sure if that means they will merge into an 80s & 90s format, or one of them will just be dropped.
I also understand that ARN have upgraded their systems to allow national playout. Not sure if it’s been full implemented yet, but up until now all the ARN Digtal stations have been running networked log but with local playout.

1 Like

[quote=Radioinfo.com.au reports]
There was a major outage this afternoon which took many Sydney digital radio services off air in prime time for about an hour.

Various commercial and community radio services are known to have been affected by the failure, which began just after 5pm.

The issue was traced back to Telstra, which had a major equipment failure inside the North Sydney exchange.

[…]

Telstra remotely reset its equipment and stations were reported to be back on air some time after 6pm.[/quote]

https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/major-outage-sydney-digital-stations

Apologies if this is old news, but since when did Hope 103.2 start (resuming?) a broadcast of it’s main station on DAB+ in Sydney? Station name is “HOPE” and at 48kbps stereo.

Inspire Digital is still running at 64kbps stereo, presumably Hope Media have brought some additional bandwidth. Maybe the same slice of the pie that’s used for “Christmas Hope” during the festive season, who knows…

Good to see Hope’s main channel on DAB+

They were the only Sydney wide outlet that weren’t, so we now have the full complement of metro wide AM/FM on DAB+ in Sydney (excluding HPONs).

1 Like

Well there’s also FBi Radio who aren’t on DAB+ (they used to have simulcast of the main FM station, but it was replaced with digital only-offering FBi Click a while back) but apart from that you’re right!