Australian Ninja Warrior

New show for Nine in 2017

Channel 9 hopes Australian Ninja Warrior will be a ratings winner

Casting for Australian Ninja Warrior opens today, with competitors to tackle “the world’s toughest assault course” in search of the nation’s first “ninja warrior”.

Known as Sasuke throughout Asia, the program was originally conceived as an obstacle course by the Japanese broadcaster Tokyo Broadcasting System Television (TBS) back in 1997. Now after 31 seasons in Japan, there are 12 international productions, which screen in 165 countries.

Nine’s head of content, production and development Adrian Swift said it would play to Australians’ interest in sport and entertainment.

Oooooh I loved the Japanese version of this show! Can’t wait to see how it works out here :slight_smile:

Could this be Hamish & Andy’s new show?

Was wondering when this would reach Australia having been a big hit in the USA and launching successfully in the UK and across Europe. I did think 7 or 10 would be it’s more natural home but to be fair Nine did a good job with Wipeout Australia and it was unfortunate it was axed after just one season as it captured the spirit of the original far more than many international versions.

As i said with Cannonball when it was first announced - no. Just no. Death of TV in Australia will be things like this.

The Swedish version is currently on SBS2 on Sunday nights (incl tonight) at 6.40

SBS would have been interested in an Australian version if it had money. Nine’s version could air in February-March 2017 with the future of Australia’s Got Talent in doubt after average ratings.

Media release from Nine

AUSTRALIAN NINJA WARRIOR SET TO FLEX ITS MUSCLE ON CHANNEL NINE IN 2017

Nine Network today announced it will produce the world’s biggest and most exciting sports entertainment franchise – Ninja Warrior – with Endemol Shine for broadcast in 2017.

Nine’s Head of Content, Production and Development, Adrian Swift, is excited to have Ninja Warrior on the Nine production slate for 2017.

“Australian Ninja Warrior is the massive new format that welds sport and entertainment together. It’s the biggest and most impossible course in the world that will be tackled by everyday Australians who think they’re fit, fast, nimble or hard enough to get to the finish,” said Swift.

When Ninja Warrior explodes onto Australian screens it will be an entertainment event unlike any other as hundreds of Aussies line up to tackle the world’s toughest assault course, determined to be crowned the nation’s first Ninja Warrior.

In the US and UK, Ninja Warrior has proved to be a ratings smash for NBC and ITV, pulling in broad family audiences with its gripping mix of heart-pounding action and inspiring back stories as everyday heroes push themselves beyond their physical and emotional limits to claim the title.

Known as Sasuke throughout Asia, it was originally conceived as an impossible-to-conquer obstacle course by the Japanese broadcaster Tokyo Broadcasting System Television (TBS) in 1997. Now, after 31 seasons in Japan, it has grown into a global mega-hit under the banner of Ninja Warrior, with productions in more than 12 territories, and the finished tape played in over 165 different regions.

Endemol Shine Australia CEO, Mark Fennessy, said: “Ninja Warrior is fun, loud, high-octane family entertainment that will delight the audience and appeal directly to Australia’s ‘have a go’ attitude. With a focus on skill, camaraderie and the pursuit of personal excellence, it has won a reputation internationally as the Olympics for everyday people. We are thrilled to be partnering with Channel Nine to bring Ninja Warrior to Australia.”

TBS Media Business Division Chief of Global Business, Makito Sugiyama, said: “We are very happy that we have reached this agreement for Australia as this will be another giant step forward to realise the first locally produced version in the Oceania region.”

Ninja Warrior’s global success has been attributed to its emphasis on pure competition.

Some will rise but most will fall in their quest to conquer this mind-blowing obstacle course and be crowned the first Australian Ninja Warrior.

Production is planned to commence in late 2016. Applicants are encouraged to apply online from 8.00am Sunday, June 19, at www.ninjawarriorcasting.com.au.

I wish to disassociate myself from my previous comments (!) about this show - I watched the Swedish version on SBS2 last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I’m frightened about what I’ve become.

1 Like

REBECCA MADDERN TO HOST ‘AUSTRALIAN NINJA WARRIOR’ ON NINE

The Nine Network today announced that Rebecca Maddern will host the all new series of Australian Ninja Warrior set to debut in 2017.

Australian Ninja Warrior will explode onto Australian screens in an entertainment event unlike any other as 250 Aussies line up to tackle the world’s toughest assault course – determined to beat it and be crowned the nation’s first Ninja Warrior.

In a coup for one of the biggest TV shows in the world, Maddern will bring her respected media talents to the program as the Australian series of Ninja Warrior starts to take shape.

Maddern’s career has spanned 15 years in the industry, including major roles across both radio and television. She joined the Nine Network in early 2016 to co-host The AFL Footy Show where she has been a revelation.

“I’m very excited to be hosting Australian Ninja Warrior. It’s a brand new format for Channel Nine and has a huge following overseas. It’s fresh, highly competitive and very entertaining. I know Australia will love it and I can’t wait for it to begin,” Maddern said.

Nine’s Head of Content, Production and Development, Adrian Swift, is thrilled to have Maddern joining Australian Ninja Warrior.

“Ninja Warrior is one of the biggest shows in the world and will feature some of Australia’s most amazing athletes. Rebecca will bring her journalistic insight, her sporting expertise, and most of all her huge enthusiasm to this massive new TV event. We’re proud to have her hosting the show,” Swift said.

Production is planned to commence in December 2016 before the program premieres on Nine in the second half of 2017. Further announcements regarding the production will be announced in the coming weeks.

About Australian Ninja Warrior

In the US and UK, Ninja Warrior has proved to be a ratings smash for NBC and ITV, pulling in broad family audiences with its gripping mix of heart-pounding action and inspiring back stories as everyday heroes push themselves beyond their physical and emotional limits to claim the title.

Known as Sasuke throughout Asia, it was originally conceived as an impossible-to-conquer obstacle course by the Japanese broadcaster Tokyo Broadcasting System Television (TBS) in 1997. Now, after 31 seasons in Japan, it has grown into a global mega-hit under the banner of Ninja Warrior, with productions in more than 12 territories, and the finished tape played in over 165 different regions.

Some will rise but most will fall in their quest to conquer this mind-blowing obstacle course and be crowned the first Australian Ninja Warrior.

Have they said anything about where this is filming. Are the qualifying stages touring like in the US or is it all being done in one location like the UK (and some European versions). Europe has a set which tours from country to country with it being built either at an outdoor venue or in an arena.

It’s being done in one location in December. I don’t know where the location will be, but given that Kelly Beahan - stength & conditioning coach for Cricket NSW - is consultant & course referee, I’d assume filming in NSW is likely.

There was an audience call aired here in Sydney so I take it will be filmed here. That will count out one viewer at least.

[quote=“MarkHD, post:9, topic:1429, full:true”]
I wish to disassociate myself from my previous comments (!) about this show - I watched the Swedish version on SBS2 last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.[/quote]I occasionally watch the Japanese version and don’t mind it to be honest. :wink: Definitely far more interesting than a lot of other junk on.

[quote=“cmo, post:18, topic:1429, full:true”]
There was an audience call aired here in Sydney so I take it will be filmed here. That will count out one viewer at least.[/quote]…scratches head… Who could that be I wonder? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::wink:

Cockatoo Island it seems.
http://onair.thatstheticket.com.au/ninja-warrior/2016/audience

News Corp reports former England cricketer and winner of I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here in 2015, Andrew Flintoff, will join Rebecca Maddern as co-hosts of the show. That should be a lot of fun.

4 Likes

If it turns out to be true a pretty good pick up.

BEN FORDHAM AND ANDREW FLINTOFF JOIN ‘AUSTRALIAN NINJA WARRIOR’

The Nine Network today announced that Ben Fordham and Andrew “Freddie” Flintoff are joining the adrenaline-charged competition series Australian Ninja Warrior, ahead of its debut season in 2017.

In a coup for the internationally acclaimed Ninja Warrior format, Fordham joins the heart-pounding sport and entertainment series as a commentator and co-host alongside Rebecca Maddern.

A Walkley Award-winning journalist, Fordham is enjoying a prolific media career. Widely known for his time on the Today show and Today Extra, he now hosts the top-rating afternoon radio program on 2GB.

“I don’t know what to expect but that’s the exciting part. Ninja Warrior is one of the biggest shows ever produced in Australia, so I’m looking forward to being part of it. My godsons are nuts for the show and threatened to disown me if I said no to the opportunity to be involved,” he said.

“I can’t wait to join Bec and Freddie and see the outstanding athletes who are taking on the challenge of Australian Ninja Warrior.”

Joining Fordham as 250 Aussie athletes line up to tackle the world’s toughest assault course will be presenter, broadcaster and cricketing legend Andrew “Freddie” Flintoff. He will be the sideline reporter, getting up close to the competitors as they try to tame the gruelling obstacle course on Ninja Island.

After an outstanding cricket career, playing in the England team that won back the Ashes and captaining his country, Flintoff moved into the media, where his cheeky sense of humour and outgoing personality has seen him go from strength to strength.

“I’m so happy to be coming to Australia to be a part of Australian Ninja Warrior. I’m a fan of the UK version and having seen what is planned for the Australian series, I know this is going to be massive. There are incredible athletes running the course and I can’t wait to see how they get on,” Flintoff said.

Nine’s Head of Content, Production and Development, Adrian Swift, is delighted to have two more big names joining Australian Ninja Warrior.

“With Ben and Freddie joining the team alongside Bec there’s a great sense of anticipation here at Nine for this dynamic show. We feel confident that ANW will allow inspiring Australian athletes to test their abilities on the world’s toughest obstacle course and provide captivating television for our audiences,” Swift said.

“Ben is someone we know well at Nine, he’s part of the family. And we welcome Freddie, who we have met over the years through his involvement with English cricket.”

Production on Australian Ninja Warrior commences in December and the program will premiere on Nine in the second half of 2017.

1 Like

Personally, I’m really hoping that Australian Ninja Warrior will be one of the biggest flops on Australian TV of 2017.

My prediction: 3 episodes before moving to late night or 9Go!

As big as Wipeout? Celebrity Splash? Or warehoused like Cannonball?

1 Like