ABC Local Radio

Patronising is the #1 word to link to her.

1 Like

Andrew Moore commentating tonight’s A-League match between Western Sydney Wanderers and Melbourne City. Andrew is best known as a rugby league commentator but I can’t believe he can call a soccer match too.

There’s a few commentators on the ABC who can call more than one football code:

Tim Gavel (666 Canberra) commentates both league and union.
So can Craig Hamilton (1233 Newcastle).

Obviously some can call both football and cricket (Gerard Whateley).

Pretty much anyone in the ABC stable has called multiple sports, let alone football codes. When not calling cricket Jim Maxwell is often heard calling Rugby (the 15 man code) and of course called League on TV in 1985/86 for ABC. With the constant cost cutting it’s almost a pre requisite to be able to call multiple sports/footy codes.

Dan Bourchier ‏@Dan_Bourchier 24m24 minutes ago
So I have some news! Very excited to be joining ABC Canberra as breakfast radio host and 7pm anchor - very excited

##abc announces new Canberra television and radio line-up for 2017

New presenting team of Dan Bourchier and Craig Allen for ABC Canberra 7pm News; 666 ABC Canberra announces Dan Bourchier to host Breakfast and Laura Tchilinguirian to present Afternoons; Susan McDonald joins as morning radio news presenter

The ABC is delighted to announce exciting changes to its Canberra television and radio line-up for 2017.

From 16 January the flagship ABC TV 7pm News bulletin will have a new presenting team, with Dan Bourchier joining the ABC as Monday to Thursday presenter, alongside Craig Allen Friday to Sunday.

Bourchier will also host the Breakfast radio program on 666 ABC Canberra.

Also from 16 January, Laura Tchilinguirian will take over as presenter of the 666 Afternoons program, following the announcement of Alex Sloan’s retirement earlier this month.

Susan McDonald will join the ACT Newsroom as morning radio news presenter.

Bourchier said he was excited to be taking on the dual role for the ABC.

“These are two incredible opportunities and I appreciate the chance to join the experienced ABC Canberra team,” he said. "I can’t wait to explore the stories which are affecting 666 ABC Canberra listeners as they are starting the day, and talk through the matters that are most important to them.

“I’m also looking forward to joining Canberrans at the other end of the day - presenting the news of the day in the ACT, around the nation, and across the globe.”

Director of News Gaven Morris said: “We’re delighted to have Dan joining ABC News and thrilled to have him leading our flagship 7pm News in the nation’s capital with Craig, who is already well-known to ACT audiences.
“Starting in print reporting, Dan has developed into an accomplished broadcast journalist with an impressive track record in Indigenous affairs and political reporting. He will be an asset to the team in the ABC Northbourne newsroom.”

Steve McClelland, 666 ABC Canberra Local Manager, said: “We’re delighted to welcome both Dan and Laura, and look forward to having them as part of the 666 team. The breadth of their combined experience and backgrounds will make for compelling listening for local audiences throughout the day.”

Local listeners have become familiar with Laura over the past month while she has been presenting 666 Breakfast, following Philip Clark’s move to Nightlife.

“Listeners have been so welcoming during my Breakfast stint and I’m so excited to be able to spend more time getting to know the people of Canberra and the region. I can’t wait to head out into the community and explore this beautiful city and surrounds”, Laura said.

Susan McDonald comes to the ACT Newsroom from the ABC’s Parliament House Bureau. She is a long-time Canberra resident who will bring her reporting experience and a fresh sound to the role.

Full 666 ABC Canberra radio line up

• Breakfast: Dan Bourchier (5.30am-8am, 8.30am-9am)
  • AM: Sabra Lane (8am-8.30am)
  • Mornings: Genevieve Jacobs (9am-11am)
  • Conversations: Richard Fidler (11am-12noon)
  • The World Today: Eleanor Hall (12noon – 1pm)
  • Afternoons: Laura Tchilinguirian (1pm-3pm)
  • Drive: Adam Shirley (3pm-6pm)
  • PM: Mark Colvin (6-7pm)
  • Evenings: Chris Bath (Monday-Thursday) and Christine Anu (Friday-Saturday) (7pm-10pm)
  • Nightlife: Philip Clark (Monday-Thursday) and Sarah Macdonald (Friday-Sunday) (10pm-2am)
  • Overnights: Trevor Chappell (Monday-Thursday) and Rod Quinn (Friday-Sunday) (2am-6pm)
  • Saturday Breakfast: Greg Bayliss (6am-11am)
  • Sunday Brunch: Lish Fejer (10am-12noon)
2 Likes

All ABC Radio and TV streaming is off line this morning due to a “cut cable”. Restoration of service unknown according to announcements being made.

If the cut cable happens in Sydney, I can understand why ABC TV streaming is affected as it is showing the Sydney channel. But the radio? A cut cable should not affect the whole country.

Unless ABC runs all its streams for local radio etc out of Sydney?

2 Likes

Matt Clinch has done AFL and soccer too.
Clint Wheeldon once did a NRL match from Sydney when David Morrow was suspended a few years ago. He also called the Perth match quite a bit for them when Perth hoisted a NRL match yearly for a while.

Yes, the fools centralise everything and then have no redundancy. Good work!

1 Like

Media Hub???

I don’t know if MediaHub handles radio/streaming?

They do.

1 Like

Coodabeen Champions producer Andy Bellairs doing around the grounds at MCG Sheffield Shield match today.
Victorian Grandstand team member Adam White hasn’t been on air on the ABC since 1st week of the AFL finals in September has Adam left the ABC.

I haven’t listened for a while but I think Adam White is full time on RSN breakfast since McGuane and Christian departed a few weeks ago.

I wonder if he would call some AFL matches for them next year. Could use some help interstate or even in Melbourne.

ABC radio king Spencer Howson meets rival networks as he looks for new job

EXITING ABC breakfast radio host Spencer Howson will this week meet rival networks as he leaves the broadcaster after 23 years.

Howson, who announced this month he would leave the breakfast timeslot he has held since 2006, said while the ABC was yet to come to him with a revised role, he was likely to have made a decision on his future by his final breakfast broadcast on Friday.

“I have a couple of … meetings coming up this week which I had not anticipated would happen. One radio, one TV and another meeting that is neither of those things,” he said.

2 Likes

Has Frangi offered him a job like he did with Skippen at that low profile online venture he runs?

4 Likes