58th TV Week Logie Awards 2016

What’s amusing is Channel Ten do a great job promoting talent to garner nominations for the Logies but fail to promote their programs effectively.

7 Likes

Waleed definitely deserves a nomination. My vote will be going to him.

Well done Carrie, Waleed, MasterChef, Essie, 800 Words boy & Melbourne Cup (Michelle Payne)

:slight_smile:

I don’t think she’s been nominated

1 Like

Can’t be bothered naming the ‘boy’. Bit rude.

1 Like

Seems it will be a massive Logies, will these new awards.

Glad that the ‘sports coverage’ probably won’t be won by Seven (or Ten). Something they dominted with AFL Grand Final / Australian Open / Melbourne Cup the past decade or so.

Do you mean massive in terms of length?

ABC TV scoops the pool with record Logie Award nominations

ABC TV has received a record 33 nominations – the most of any network – for this year’s TV Week Logie Awards

Essie Davis, star of Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries, is not only in the running for the coveted Gold Logie, but is also nominated for the Best Actress and Most Outstanding Actress awards.

The Doctor Blake Mysteries star Craig McLachlan is up against Please Like Me’s Josh Thomas for the Best Actor award.

And, there’s no shortage of ABC acting talent nominees, with Patrick Brammall (Glitch), Sarah Snook (The Beautiful Lie), Deborah Mailman (Redfern Now: Promise Me), Tim Minchin (The Secret River), Emily Barclay (Glitch) and Rarriwuy Hick (Redfern Now: Promise Me) all in the running for awards.

In the entertainment and comedy categories, The Weekly with Charlie Pickering, Utopia, Shaun Micallef’s Mad as Hell, Please Like Me and Gruen have all picked up nominations.

Sarah Ferguson’s Hitting Home and The Killing Season will compete with Four Corner’s Making a Killing for the Most Outstanding Public Affairs Report award.

ABC Children’s programming has received three nominations in the Most Outstanding Children’s Program category, for Little Lunch, Ready for This and Bushwhacked!

Popular ABC TV favourites including Australian Story, Gardening Australia, Q&A and the 7pm News are also in the running for awards.

Richard Finlayson, ABC Director of Television, responded to last night’s announcement: "Our TV and News teams are thrilled by this record haul of nominations, across so many genres and demographics.”

“We’re committed to being the home of Australian stories and I want to congratulate all our staff and the brilliant actors and production partners who bring ABC TV to life.”

1 Like

Lee Lin Chin will win the Gold Logie now that she’s nominated. I’m sure there will be big social media campaigns for her to win. I think it would be hilarious if she did. :joy:

Lee Lin Chin for Gold!

1 Like

[quote=“Chris, post:49, topic:561”]
Lee Lin Chin will win the Gold Logie now that she’s nominated. I’m sure there will be big social media campaigns for her to win. I think it would be hilarious if she did. :joy:[/quote]
But they don’t vote again for the Gold Logie. It’s already been decided from the original votes. Otherwise, we’d keep having a debacle where people like Karle Stefanovic and Hamish Blake mounted these pisstake campaigns to win gold and then actually did.

That’s another aspect of the system - no preferential voting to loosely use a term. If you voted for someone outside the top 5 in any category your vote doesn’t count and there is no chance to vote on the top 5. So a winner can have a very small proportion of the vote. Home and Away votes for example could be spread across a number if individuals but give fans just one person to vote for and they could win.

So many other problems with these awards though!

That’s exactly what was shonky with that system. The Gold Logie was the Most Popular Personality so first past the post voting system is correct.

This article explains how Lee Lin Chin got a nod. There was a big campaign on The Feed.

Yeah let’s all get behind her, like people did in the past for John Wood and Ray Meagher. Then 9 of course made a farce of it all by their campaigns to get Karl Stefanovic, Scott Cam and Hamish Blake their Gold. Goodness knows how much they spent on it…
Edit: just read the comments above and realized that you can’t vote for her now. Well let’s hope she got the initial votes.

Cue the change.org petition to change her name to Lee Lin Win should she take out the Gold.

3 Likes

It’s the Logies… it’s not an election?

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be annoyed if Lee Lin won, she has served as an anchor on SBS for decades, doing a fantastic job. A deserving winner of any television award surely?

2 Likes

So long as the NRL Footy Show wins its Logie, all will be right with the world on Logies night :stuck_out_tongue:

I honestly thought that the Lee Lin Chin campaign was serious to an extent, but also taking a piss out of the Logies at the same time? Wasn’t it just The Feed (and possibly SBS2 from memory) promoting her to a Gold Logie win in a satirical way? And not SBS1 and the News (for obvious reasons)? Is this similar to the way that The Chaser once tried to get Anton Enus nominated for a Logie by their local weekly Newspaper over a decade ago to see how small the actual Logies voting population was made up by? Well, that’s what is mentioned on the “Logies Wikipedia” page.

Nonetheless, I am still extremely happy she is up for the Gold and Best Presenter award. Much deserving.

1 Like

Yeah I forgot that you can’t vote anymore. I remember previous years where you could vote for the Gold Logie nominee right up until the night. In that case I think Carrie Bickmore or Waleed will win.

Completely at a loss to understand the point of this article.

Six reasons why Waleed Aly should not win Gold

Here is point number one…

1. We need better programming on commercial TV, and Aly is the exception that proves the rule.

Remember The Verdict? No biggie if you don’t, because after a few outings late last year, Channel 9’s attempt to engage viewers in a panel discussion show — usually the preserve of the ABC and SBS — seemed to sink without a trace. The format hadn’t been fully considered, the talent was patchy and the whole enterprise seemed rushed to broadcast.

But it shouldn’t have been a flop, because Channel 9 were on to something; we need more intelligent debate on commercial TV. The only caveat? It needs to be well considered and properly produced; Aly’s appointment has injected rare gravitas to a commercial network, and he has found a loyal following.

And if TV bosses were in any doubt, evidence of audience fatigue with dumbed-down reality shows can be found any time you scan the latest ratings. Channel 10 has steadfastly stuck by The Project and given it resources to thrive, but the other commercial networks haven’t managed to do the same with their own attempts at “serious” shows. Which should change, fast.

:neutral_face: Huh?